Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 11:25 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The only birthday that depressed me was when I turned 30. I felt like I was no longer young. Weird, huh ? All the rest were easy, but for some reason that one brought me down for a while.

Don
For me, the most depressing birthday I had, where I was truly worried about my age, was this year, when I turned 27. It was not so depressing as to get me down, as to say I was alot more reflective than I would normally be. It was more or less the idea that 30 wasn't too far away that disturbed me. Plenty of things I had to consider, mainly the things I haven't done. On one had, my father reminded me that time is still on my side. In that aspect, he's right. On the other hand, it doesn't feel like it because I'm not 18, 19, or even 24 anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 12:03 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
At 60, I am comfortably retired.....no way in hell would I want to go back and do it all over again.

I would, however, love to have my 20 year old body back.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:45 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Do you ever miss being your younger self, now that you are older?

I am currently in my early 30's...adult life is definitely not all it's made out to be in popular society; it's really just a rat race and a never-ending hamster treadmill, IMO TBH, I find that I actually miss and am frequently nostalgic for the days when I was younger (say 18 for example), quite a bit. To go backwards in time to happier, more care-free days, instead of forward, to the dreary and in some cases, the simply depressing life of the constantly-overworked, exhausting and ridiculously frenetic pace of adult life, where it seems all you do is work until you drop, if only from the pure exhaustion and fatigue...

Has anyone else ever felt like this?
Maybe it's your job.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:02 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
There is kind of an irony here. The persons who least want to be their younger self are those who are beyond the age of 40. Those who want to relive their younger days the most are those born after 1980. I'm among those who were born after 1980.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:06 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Do you ever miss being your younger self, now that you are older?...
Never, I'm seventy-five and I had one hell of a time - good and bad -getting to this point, and it is still a great trip.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:10 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:

I am currently in my early 30's...adult life is definitely not all it's made out to be in popular society; it's really just a rat race and a never-ending hamster treadmill, IMO TBH, I find that I actually miss and am frequently nostalgic for the days when I was younger (say 18 for example), quite a bit. To go backwards in time to happier, more care-free days, instead of forward, to the dreary and in some cases, the simply depressing life of the constantly-overworked, exhausting and ridiculously frenetic pace of adult life, where it seems all you do is work until you drop, if only from the pure exhaustion and fatigue...

I tell my kids this: "enjoy this time at home when you don't have to pay bills, and have to do things you don't want to do"...I hope they listen. The only thing I miss about my earlier days is the traveling. I had a lot of freedom to travel before "family" took over, so that I miss mainly because I don't think I'll ever be able to travel like that again...so...that's the only thing I miss.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:08 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
When I was 16 I couldn't wait to be 27. My supervisor at work was 27, just out of college , he got to wear suits to work every day , and all the chicks thought he was so cool. By the time that I turned 27 I was knee deep in familiy obligations. Life can be backwards . When you have the time you don't have the money and when you have the money you don't have the time. When we are young we have lots of choices, but we don't have the decision making abilities and once we mature we don't have the unlimited choices. As long as I can have a little more free time, extra money and keep my options open I want to keep getting older.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 10-19-2013 at 07:06 AM..

Old 10-19-2013, 07:17 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,931 times
Youth is overrated IMO. I’d prefer wisdom and life experience that come with adulthood. Being an adult doesn't mean you need to think and act old. One can always be young at heart and connect with one's youth spiritually.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:38 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
I don't miss my younger self b/c she is still in me. Truth is I've always felt this age, whatever that is. So, my essential self is intact but the outer part of me insists on doing crazy things like hurting and stinking and all kinds of new things that no one ever warned me about. I would never go back though--I've developed a thicker skin thru life and that was badly needed.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:49 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:

My question to you is "who is in control of your life?" If you are in a rat-race, it is because you have chosen to be there. Nobody is forcing you to spend your money so that you have to be "overworked" to pay for a lifestyle you have CHOSEN. As for a "frentic" pace of adult life. Perhaps you should learn to say NO to the people who are putting these kinds of demands on your time and SANITY.

Sell your house, your cars...cancel your expensive subscriptions to smartphones, cable televsion, netflix and stop spending $50 - $100 every weekend going to movies, or shopping at the mall.

Start buying things you need for pennies on the dollar at thrift shops and that includes things for your kids (if you have any). By reducing your expenditures, you can reduce your need for income and subsequently reduce or eliminate your need for a full-time job. This would give you a lot more free time.

There is nothing in life that is not in your control if you are willing to make the sacrifices that lead to change.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology