Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:55 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

There will still be plenty of folks who will claim "I was spanked and I turned out just fine" but many of us are not surprised with the results of this study. Why risk it when there are better ways to train and discipline children? Those of us against spanking often hear we will have undisciplined kids but it just isn't true. It just takes some imagination and patience but kids can grow up with manners and discipline without being spanked.

Spanking young kids linked to aggressive behavior, language woes by age 9 - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 10:09 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,097,993 times
Interestingly, the article does a great job highlighting, while at the same time totally overlooking, that women are consistently more physically abusive towards children than men - it says it right there in the figures. 57%f vs 40%m @ age 3, 52%f vs 33%m @ age 5 spank their children.

I'd be interested in a greater description of the demographics involved in this study - were the 'serial spankers' from typically low-SES backgrounds or high-SES? Were the parents married and living together? How were they recruited for the study? Are mothers spanking their children out of frustration due to lack of father involvement in discipline? Are fathers spanking their children because the mothers have already done so with little result?

Did they all have the same view of what 'spanking' was? Do some think a 'spanking' is a hard slap in the face while others view it as a gentle tap on the bum?

Interesting studies, as always, but insufficient facts/figures to make much of it.

Last edited by Athair; 10-21-2013 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: Adding in query of spanking definition.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:10 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
Did they all have the same view of what 'spanking' was? Do some think a 'spanking' is a hard slap in the face while others view it as a gentle tap on the bum?
That's a good question. A lot of people have different definitions of spanking from a swift pop on the butt to a near beating. Words mean things. When they were younger, we were visiting family and our kids were misbehaving. My wife had had enough and said, "One more time and you're going to get popped." She meant spanked on the behind, but her sister was horrified thinking my wife meant slapped across the face.

Of course, her sister used the term "whupped" instead and I have no idea what that means!

Old 10-22-2013, 08:33 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,082 times
I think it depends on a lot of factors. I've seen kids get spanked for what is really just normal kid behavior. The article talks about a kid getting spanked because they wanted a toy. That's not a good reason to spank a kid, it's human nature for a small child to want something in the store. I do think when a kid is spanked for every little thing and not real misbehavior they will definitely have issues. Also, some people confuse spanking vs. getting a beating.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:37 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
Interestingly, the article does a great job highlighting, while at the same time totally overlooking, that women are consistently more physically abusive towards children than men - it says it right there in the figures. 57%f vs 40%m @ age 3, 52%f vs 33%m @ age 5 spank their children.
I don't understand what you mean. How does the article overlook it if it makes the point? One of the variables analyzed in the study is the difference between maternal and paternal spanking and how that affects cognitive development. It was an initial hypothesis if I'm reading it correctly.

Here is the study itself.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...-1227.full.pdf

Quote:
I'd be interested in a greater description of the demographics involved in this study - were the 'serial spankers' from typically low-SES backgrounds or high-SES? Were the parents married and living together? How were they recruited for the study? Are mothers spanking their children out of frustration due to lack of father involvement in discipline? Are fathers spanking their children because the mothers have already done so with little result?

Interesting studies, as always, but insufficient facts/figures to make much of it.
The demographics are cited here:

Reichman NE, Teitler JO, Garinkel I, McLanahan SS. Fragile Families: sample and design. Child Youth Serv Rev. 2001;23(4–5):303–326

Here is the website-
Fragile Families Home Page

"The core interviews are about an hour in length, and collect extensive information on socio-demographic characteristics, parents’ health, parental relationships, parenting, and child wellbeing. Data from the first five waves of the core study are available to the public."

I would hope the data would be normalized to take demographics into account, but if you do attempt to answer your own questions please report back what you find.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:40 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,568 times
Folks, there are many, many spanking threads in the Parenting forum. It is an endless topic. Since the OP references a specific study, I'm moving this to "Psychology" for a difference of opinions and views from other perspectives in research. Enjoy the debate!

Old 10-25-2013, 12:14 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Studies can prove anything they set out to prove. Non Spanking is sort of a fad that is in style now, it's not PC to spank a child. Yet most of us over a certain age were spanked and guess what? We have much better verbal skills than the kids who don't know the difference between their, they're, and there. Also the kids who think you add an apostrophe to form a plural--and so on.

Aggressive? Looks like it's the younger kids who are killing people, not the older ones who were spanked. Teenagers are killing their teachers and their parents. I'd say they are a lot more aggressive than those of us were were taught--and we were taught by a quick spank and it was over. No long drawn out guilt trips, just a quick spanking that we knew we deserved. Done. It's not a beating either and anyone who confuses a well deserved spank with a beating is mixed up about the subject.

No, I don't believe this study at all.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:54 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
how many centuries was spanking of young children considered a good form of punishment? spanking began being considered "bad" with the Dr. Spock book (whose son committed suicide). now we have some of the most violent children ever. preteen and young teens committing gang rape, mass murder, murdering parents (wanted to play video games), murdering teachers, murdering younger siblings, murdering grandparents for money/drugs, yep, time outs work so well for everyone. (sarcasm)

Old 10-25-2013, 01:33 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
how many centuries was spanking of young children considered a good form of punishment? spanking began being considered "bad" with the Dr. Spock book (whose son committed suicide). now we have some of the most violent children ever. preteen and young teens committing gang rape, mass murder, murdering parents (wanted to play video games), murdering teachers, murdering younger siblings, murdering grandparents for money/drugs, yep, time outs work so well for everyone. (sarcasm)
and let's not forget drive-by shootings.

When I took statistics many yrs ago, I learned that defining your terms was the 1st step. Or one of the 1st steps. As Marci asked, what exactly are they talking about?

Old 10-25-2013, 02:01 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,097,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't understand what you mean. How does the article overlook it if it makes the point? One of the variables analyzed in the study is the difference between maternal and paternal spanking and how that affects cognitive development. It was an initial hypothesis if I'm reading it correctly.

Here is the study itself.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...-1227.full.pdf
Insofar as the news headline places emphasis on 'links to aggressive behavior' and the news article does not directly address the significant gender difference (nor does the actual article) other than to quote percentages. The articles conclusion totally overlooked why such a difference exists. I simply find it interesting and wonder why it exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology