Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 03:13 PM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Was it AA ? That made you stop drinking? What about smoking? Anyone just woke up & stopped whats your story?
Lost my license for drunken driving twice within a year. That's 30 months worth of suspensions, plus I think it was about $6,000.00 in fines. I quit drinking in June 1989 although I occasionally cook with wine or sherry and I'll partake in a champagne toast at a wedding or on New Year's Eve. I did attend AA meetings for years (last one was about 20 years ago) and it's a great program.

I quit smoking the day after Thanksgiving 1992. My plan was to get in shape and take a bicycle trip from New Jersey to Montreal the following summer. I did it, and I haven't smoked a cigarette since, although I'll have a cigar once in a blue moon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 04:56 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,595 times
Thanks everyone for responding!

I do NOT want to drink at all as I feel I can not control my drinking. One glass turns to 5 ( I don't see the signs insert smack & disgusted sign here!!)

So far, I have not gotten into trouble with the law which is great but I have driven to work hung over.

My problem is that the SO feels he needs a drink to""relax"" after work but since I can no longer control myself, instead of having 1 glass of wine to ""relax"" with him it turns into 5.

Plus I'm having all sorts of health issues!

Plus if I divorce the SO I am bound to face financial issues.

So my relief is the bottle. Stupid I know. Please dont crucify me I know I'm a bird already. I don't need that thrown to my face I already know it. But I need constructive criticism.

My idea would be that if the SO ONLY needs one or two glasses to ""relax"" (insert sarcasm here"") then his needs are inferior to mine because his need to ""relax"" has pledged me into a full time alcoholic. He needs a glass or two & his need for a glass or two leads me to 5 UNWANTED glasses?

Thoughts?

Old 10-23-2013, 05:06 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,203 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for responding!

I do NOT want to drink at all as I feel I can not control my drinking. One glass turns to 5 ( I don't see the signs insert smack & disgusted sign here!!)

So far, I have not gotten into trouble with the law which is great but I have driven to work hung over.

My problem is that the SO feels he needs a drink to""relax"" after work but since I can no longer control myself, instead of having 1 glass of wine to ""relax"" with him it turns into 5.

Plus I'm having all sorts of health issues!

Plus if I divorce the SO I am bound to face financial issues.

So my relief is the bottle. Stupid I know. Please dont crucify me I know I'm a bird already. I don't need that thrown to my face I already know it. But I need constructive criticism.

My idea would be that if the SO ONLY needs one or two glasses to ""relax"" (insert sarcasm here"") then his needs are inferior to mine because his need to ""relax"" has pledged me into a full time alcoholic. He needs a glass or two & his need for a glass or two leads me to 5 UNWANTED glasses?

Thoughts?
Have you spoken to your SO about wanting to quit completely? If you did, was he cooperative at all? It doesn't sound like a healthy environment for you though. You want to quit, but you are constantly around someone at home who himself depends on the bottle to relax.

Now I don't drink, virtually never. I am very conscious of what I put into my body. The smell of alcohol grosses me out. Just think of the effects that booze is having in your body, the liver damage, the effects it's having on your mental state and even your figure. If you need to unwind, get out and exercise and leave the hubby at home to drink himself stupid (sorry to be blunt). An hour in the treadmill will help you relax (and get you in shape) far more than a bottle of wine.

The problem with depending on booze to relax and unwind is that while it may make you feel better temporarily, you pay for it the next day and long term with your health. It sounds like you are not happy with your situation in general so I'm not going to judge you. If you feel that you want to divorce and you're really unhappy beyond anything marriage counseling could solve then you need to get out of that situation before more years pass you by.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:02 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,531 times
Quote:
Was it AA ? That made you stop drinking? What about smoking? Anyone just woke up & stopped whats your story?
Never started in the first place. Watching people act like morons in public when they had too much to drink,drunk driving and the appearance and unpleasant odor of people who smoke, I decided at an early age not to take part in doing either. I did not need a pamphlet or some non-smoking ads and a silly "drive sober or get pull over" campaigns to tell me that smoking is bad for me. I can see it with my own eyes.

I do not see the purpose of doing it either. Most people start smoking just to look cool around their peers. If they weren't so insecure of themselves back in high school, they wouldn't need to worry about approval. As for drinking, what is the point? What is the point of getting drunk when you do not remember what you did. Then you wake up with your head in pain and vomiting all over the place. Where is the enjoyment in that?

I do not see the point of throwing away money to act like a clown for a few hours and to be covered in stench.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:10 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
My sister died gasping for air because of cigarettes.
Reminds me of the sad saying, "They publish a list of people who quit smoking in the newspaper every day. It's called the obituaries."

Old 10-23-2013, 06:12 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Never started in the first place. Watching people act like morons in public when they had too much to drink,drunk driving and the appearance and unpleasant odor of people who smoke, I decided at an early age not to take part in doing either. I did not need a pamphlet or some non-smoking ads and a silly "drive sober or get pull over" campaigns to tell me that smoking is bad for me. I can see it with my own eyes.

I do not see the purpose of doing it either. Most people start smoking just to look cool around their peers. If they weren't so insecure of themselves back in high school, they wouldn't need to worry about approval. As for drinking, what is the point? What is the point of getting drunk when you do not remember what you did. Then you wake up with your head in pain and vomiting all over the place. Where is the enjoyment in that?

I do not see the point of throwing away money to act like a clown for a few hours and to be covered in stench.
Not everyone drinks to get drunk.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:56 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
I am a bit of an obsessive/compulsive. I started smoking at 14 as I had a friend who was as wild as a march hare (later married a minister and they have been married over 40 years). I smoked sometimes 2 packs a day for around 40 years. In 1993 I quit cold turkey and until today, have not smoked anything. No interest in doing so. Today, I bought an ecig kit to try and control my weight, you know, that oral gratification thing......I am not using the nicotine stuff but it is an appetite suppressant (sp).

Around 1996, my DH and I were working in a start up business. He probably was/is a functioning alcoholic. I went through a period of heavy drinking. But, I knew one of us had to keep a clear head and it was probably going to be me. So, I quit. If we go out to dinner, not often, I will have a froo froo drink and that is it. No big deal. I never want it to become important in my life ever again. Alcoholism ran in my family. Not my parents but their sibs and my sibs so, it, alcohol carries a lot of danger for me.

Also, being O/C, I think I substituted eating for smoking and drinking. I tried exercise and dm near killed myself. So, I keep working on it.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:59 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post

I don't mean this to be snarky but, why did you post on this thread if you have never drank or smoked, except to tell the rest of us mortals what jerks we were....? LOL.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:09 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,172,168 times
My mom stopped smoking and drinking when she was in the hospital with her first heart attack at age 55. (The next one, when she was 60, did her in.) She was a single mother and I think she was "scared straight," as the old ads for those school programs to discourage juvenile delinquents were called. After she quit smoking she apologized to me for getting mad at me for complaining about the cigarette smoke in the car making me carsick when I was a child, because she got to the point where she found cigarette smoke sickening, herself.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:58 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,338,482 times
I never really smoked much, I started drinking my sophomore year in college and at first it was every weekend and to the point of blacking out. I at first just drank on the weekends but by senior year(all 2 of them) I ended up drinking on light class days where I would get home at noon and just get bored and want to get drunk...After 5 years I finally graduated and knew I needed to grow up and then by my mid 20's my body kind of rejected the booze, I could never get drunk or even drink socially or light...I have not had a drink in years and not have any desire too. I guess it was just the 'college thing' where I wanted to sow some wild oats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology