Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 12:58 PM

33 posts, read 35,259 times

Advertisements

OK, so why does psychology say that some are fated to do things? Oh, I'm "ill" since I don't believe in fate. or that some are inherently "more worthy" haha..

And religion? yes, according to the philsopher king psychologists, people who aren't religious are evil and are to be discarded? haha...

Let's cut to the chase here. Psychology is belief, not fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 02:27 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,540 times
You should give some examples of "philosopher king psychologists".

Old 10-25-2013, 02:29 PM

33 posts, read 35,259 times
To me, this is how they behave.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:59 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darsen scott View Post
To me, this is how they behave.
This is how WHO behaves?

Old 10-26-2013, 06:45 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
I remember learning that religious people were happier because they believed in something. Then I debated with my professor that there are some of us who believe in evolution and that we are happier than people who are religious because we have evidence to support our belief, whereas religious folks just have to believe.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:31 AM

19,994 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Are you seeing a "Christian psychologist" by chance? Maybe you need to be seeing someone more objective.

Regardless, it's important to therapeutic success (or whatever passes for it) that the patient is able to respect and trust the therapist. If you don't "click" then you just have to go through the rigamarole of switching therapists. It's more the rule than the exception. Don't dismiss the value of competent, objective, compassionate advice simply because it's hard to come by.

As to the idea that "psychology is belief, not fact" ... it is not a "hard" science, if that's what you mean. It has many subjective aspects. But your core beliefs are just that -- beliefs, not fact. The idea is to get un-stuck and have better adapted core beliefs. If your shrink thinks "better adapted" is equivalent to "religious" then they're an idiot. Change shrinks.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:19 AM

993 posts, read 1,560,866 times
That's not psychology, the science, that you are naming. It's partly pop-psychology, a pervasive pseudoscience, but mostly philosophy. Philosophy and psychology are not the same thing.

Psychology, the science, is empirical by nature and rejects claiming anything metaphysical or philosophical because both of those things are unfalsifiable. If you've ever taken any kind of science class, you know that step one of the scientific method is to determine if a claim is falsifiable. If it's not, you throw it out because it can't be tested.

So, I'm sorry that you've been fooled by sources that inaccurately deem themselves psychology, the science, because they aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology