U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 07:38 PM

6,318 posts, read 6,808,438 times

Advertisements

I never dream. Ever...or if I do, I don't remember them.

Considering I wake up in the exact same position I fall asleep in, its safe to say I don't have nightmares either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 09:47 PM

10,368 posts, read 19,826,149 times
I dream of tornadoes too and in my dream I'm always observing them from a safe place and thinking about how cool it all is. I am fascinated by them but I've never been in one. I would love to go out with a storm chasing team but would not do something like that on my own.

Another common one for me is houses. They are usually old houses and many times I find myself in the attic. Once when was going thru a bad time and making unwise choices I dreamed that the floorboards were so rotten that my feet were slipping thru and I wasn't surprised to find out that the symbol of a house is related to the status of your mind and soul. Strangely though, I haven't had one of those house dreams in quite awhile though I had them with some frequency there for awhile.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:18 PM

9,238 posts, read 21,747,902 times
I think we had a similar thread on this recently, but it's an interesting topic, so I'll post, but I might sound repetitive.
I also have also had recurring bad dreams involving tornados, ever since I was a kid. I've never lived in a tornado zone, nor have I ever seen one in real life. I think it's just one of my "fear dreams" and my mind picks tornados, perhaps from my childhood experience with the Wizard of Oz movie--that tornado scared my MUCH more that the wicked witch or the flying monkeys! I might have a tornado dream at least once every 1-2 weeks. It's gotten to the point where I've trained myself to say "If I see a tornado, I must be in a dream" so I can wake myself up, or change the scene (I can lucid-dream to some degree).

Other common themes in my dreams:
--I'm in school--high school or college--and there's a test I hadn't studied for, or I don't know how to find my class. typical anxiety dream. If I realize that I'm actually 44 and have had my Master's degree for years already, the anxiety dream somehow responds with the idea that I never finished some required course in high school or college, and if I don't complete it successfully now, all my subsequent degrees get revoked.
--I'm in my childhood house, or my grandparents' home, but I'm an adult, then various storylines play out, but in that setting
--I somehow forgot that I never resigned from a past job, and I'm still officially working there part time in addition to my current job, and now I'm late, or I've missed days without giving notice, and I'm in trouble
--I somehow remember pets I've forgotten that I have, and I find them neglected and starving, some dead, and I'm very upset, trying to save them
--I can usually fly, but it's lots of effort--like swimming or treading water, but in the air. I envy people who dream of easily, effortlessly flying
--Difficult friends (I guess today they'd be called frenemies) from childhood or my teens are now in my life as an adult, somehow screwing up my life

Old 10-29-2013, 02:01 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,062,063 times
My dreams are (and always have been) extremely detailed, fantastic and elaborate visual and aural fantasies. They almost never have any solid story or narrative and tend to morph into each other in a way that makes it difficult to differentiate one dream from the next. Or I could put it this way: I've never tried LSD, but my dreams are like what people say an acid trip is like.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:25 PM

10,368 posts, read 19,826,149 times
The other night I dreamt I was in Israel and I went out to the town square and there was a group dancing the Hava Nagila and then 2 very handsome Israeli soldiers came at me like they were going to detain me but when I looked at them hard they suddenly veered and went around w/o speaking. Then it happened again with just one soldier. Interesting thing is that they had dark fur on their uniforms, which isn't the soldier uniform there as far as I know. I took this to mean that I've become much stronger psychically after having those "muscles" tested in various ways in the past few years. The dance came from a video I was watching just the day before but it only provided the backdrop.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:56 PM

63 posts, read 87,684 times
Been dreaming of abstract colors since I was a young little girl, but this is only happenning everytime I am sick like when I am having an asthma attack or If I do have fever, etc. I wondered why I only dreamed of them when I am sick and I still can't find answers to it.

Guess, God is letting my mind rest from thinking of other things except for colors when I am sick. =)

Old 10-30-2013, 10:24 PM

8,070 posts, read 6,437,517 times
Sometimes I dream I'm working at a previous job and I usually realize I am not getting paid because I resigned "months ago". In reality it was almost a decade ago.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:57 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,965,622 times
I honestly can't tell you the last time I remember one of my dreams. I don't wanna say I never dream cause I have we all dream all time but I think in life right now I am dealing with so much stress that I just wanna fall and asleep and forget about the horrible day I just had. So stressed from my job. I have noticed if I am too warm at night I tend have more vivid dreams that I am able to remember or will have nightmares and just not sleep well.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:35 AM

3,318 posts, read 3,395,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I dream of tornadoes too and in my dream I'm always observing them from a safe place and thinking about how cool it all is. I am fascinated by them but I've never been in one. I would love to go out with a storm chasing team but would not do something like that on my own.
In mine, I always seem to be in the thick of the tornado. I'll either run, but not outrun the tornado, or I will dive down and have the building collapse around me and whomever I'm with in the dream. Or, I will be swept up into the tornado and transplanted to a different city or place where I then have to climb out of the rubble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I also have also had recurring bad dreams involving tornados, ever since I was a kid. I've never lived in a tornado zone, nor have I ever seen one in real life. I think it's just one of my "fear"; and my mind picks tornados, perhaps from my childhood experience with the Wizard of Oz movie--that tornado scared my MUCH more that the wicked witch or the flying monkeys! I might have a tornado dream at least once every 1-2 weeks. It's gotten to the point where I've trained myself to say "If I see a tornado, I must be in a dream" so I can wake myself up, or change the scene (I can lucid-dream to some degree).
Every one to two weeks is certainly recurring. My tornado dreams are more "adventures" or "happenings" involving tornadoes. In the dreams there is the destructive nature of the tornado, but I don't seem to fear them in the sense you're describing.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:39 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,846,309 times
Lately, I dream mostly of the hospital because I'm trying to come up with various ways to handle situations I haven't found a solution to.

It's me trying to become better at what I do and my ego trying to avoid certain real life discomforts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology