Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 09:02 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,344,462 times

Advertisements

A woman I know is a physical therapist at a hospital school. She is non-aggressive and a perfect victim. She had asked one of the nurses there about one of the residents whom she happens to be working with. The nurse got together with two other nurses and called her in to a conference where they verbally lambasted her for being nosy and questioning them.

The problem is she does not stand up for herself and certain people (grown up bullies) will sense this.

Is there a strategy or technique she could use to take back some control if they corner her again. Something that could become reflex to give her time to either get away of diffuse the situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 04:04 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,155,752 times
I think she needs to learn who to trust. If she hasn't learned this and she had a question about another resident, she should have gone directly to that resident and asked him or her.

As far as that situation, I would tell her she needs to leave a room when people are yelling at her. The problem with this is that some people are used to being yelled at.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:31 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,964,690 times
OMG she is deep trouble

If no lives are threatened by the nurses' actions I think it's best to be quiet, stay under the radar until they pick someone else to bully around

If lives at risk, I would document, report to their managers and look for another job before I get fired.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:46 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
She's not being bullied. I wish people would stop throwing that word around.

She's an adult. She was at work. She and her co-workers had a disagreement. That's all.

She has every right to disagree and to defend herself. Again, she's an adult and she chooses how to live her life.

If she wants to respond, she will. If she doesn't respond, then assume she is okay with the disagreement and how she was treated.

Maybe she was okay and only YOU have a problem with the situation.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:57 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,452 times
Tell her to stop acting like a victim.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:42 PM

35,662 posts, read 21,025,987 times
wow -ask if she needs to talk- maybe she freezes up or is NOT sure how to handle these two. I wait n sooner or later folks that act up get caught. Now you could turn blue yelling- I learned you will be the one getting the heart attack- I simply ignore you. you're the one with the problem NOT me. so that's how I handle nuts

Old 10-30-2013, 09:26 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,344,462 times
She freezes up. I can explain it, most people are fight or flight, she takes the verbal abuse and doesn't think to leave or fight back. SHe knows she did nothing wrong but has no mechanism for defending herself, VERY meek. Two of them called her in to a private room and verbally blasted her pretty good, the same two have been building a little coalition against her by gossip and innuendo. They are the mean girls from jr. high all grown up and still at it. She is the perfect victim.

I had a similar situation recently where a male coworker accused me of causing a problem at work. I am new there and I think he was either staking out his turf or putting me in my place. I knew I did not make the error he accused me of so I told him "... I got an idea... why don't you get on one knee and kiss my a$$?" Hasn't bothered me once since! Unfortunately... saying something like that would NEVER occur to my friend.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:07 AM

673 posts, read 2,716,280 times
Your colleague needs personal boundaries. Here's a book that might help:

Boundaries Where You End And I Begin: How To Recognize And Set Healthy Boundaries: Anne Katherine M.A.: 9781568380308: Amazon.com: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology