U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 08:16 AM

3,315 posts, read 3,393,936 times

Advertisements

For me, I dream of tornado situations more than any other type of dream. Buildings being ripped apart, things flying through the air, dodging under bridges, etc. In most of these dreams I always escape no matter how severe the tornado. I have never been involved in a tornado, I am not a storm-chaser, and I have no fascination with tornadoes. In fact, I hate following the weather at all and have the notion that Mother Nature's going to do what Mother Nature's going to do. A person has no control over what they dream of, but for me, I dream of tornadoes.

What do you dream of the most, and what meaning, if any, do you subscribe it to?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 09:39 AM

10,855 posts, read 5,967,867 times
I dream of times in my life where I had a larger social network, more people nearby/around.
Such as back when I was in classes at school, and/or lived other places (20+ yrs. ago).

The meaning I ascribe to it is that my intelligence (of the academic/intellectual sort) is not being used these days (compared to how it was in school),
and that I need/want more human interaction (face-to-face, offline contact).

Old 10-27-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
I dream of times in my life where I had a larger social network, more people nearby/around.
Such as back when I was in classes at school, and/or lived other places (20+ yrs. ago).

The meaning I ascribe to it is that my intelligence (of the academic/intellectual sort) is not being used these days (compared to how it was in school),
and that I need/want more human interaction (face-to-face, offline contact).
To clarify, by dreams, I mean the type that happens when you're asleep. Are these the scenarios you can remember dreaming about most when you're asleep?

Old 10-27-2013, 10:23 AM

13,893 posts, read 13,028,030 times
Interesting. I've lived in KS and OK all my life and don't think I've ever dreamed about a tornado.

I don't think anyone can answer the "why" we dream what we dream. I have a handful of repeat dreams that I wonder about, but I'll likely never know where they come from or why.

It's a fascinating subject, though.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:39 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,412,467 times
My usual recurring dreams are:

- Suiting up for my HS football team (never played due to injury/depression)

- Somehow ending up back in HS, but then realizing I already have a diploma and saying "**********" (Hated entire scholastic experience)

- Finally flipping out and telling my mom how I really feel about our relationship (self explanatory)

- Being a professional wrestler (my boyhood dream)

Old 10-27-2013, 11:07 AM

993 posts, read 1,477,275 times
I dream about my parents, sister, and the house I grew up in a lot. Also, the friends that I had in grade school, who I haven't talked to since eighth grade. It's weird because it's always me as I am now (an adult) hanging out with my grade school friends as I last remember them. And when I dream about my family, it's always scenarios that would happen when I was kid even though we're all aged in the dream the way that we are in real life.

I have no idea what it means, and I don't care to find out because I'm pretty sure it will just make me sad.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:20 PM

17,264 posts, read 11,481,552 times
Well for the Jungians among us, here's a typical dream dictionary entry for "Tornado":

To see a tornado in your dream suggests that you are experiencing some extreme emotional outbursts and temper tantrums. Is there a situation or relationship in your life that may be potentially destructive?

To dream that you are in a tornado means that you are feeling overwhelmed and out of control. Your plans will be filled with much complications and you will be met with a series of disappointments.

Or more generically, "storm":

To see a storm in your dream signifies some overwhelming struggle, shock, loss or catastrophe in your waking life. The storm also represents unexpressed fears or emotions, such as anger, rage, turmoil, etc. On a more positive note, the storm symbolizes your rising spirituality. It may signal rapid changes ahead for you.

For what it's worth.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:36 PM

10,855 posts, read 5,967,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
To clarify, by dreams, I mean the type that happens when you're asleep. Are these the scenarios you can remember dreaming about most when you're asleep?
These things I mentioned in my post *are* what I dream of when asleep.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
These things I mentioned in my post *are* what I dream of when asleep.
OK, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well for the Jungians among us, here's a typical dream dictionary entry for "Tornado":

To see a tornado in your dream suggests that you are experiencing some extreme emotional outbursts and temper tantrums. Is there a situation or relationship in your life that may be potentially destructive?

To dream that you are in a tornado means that you are feeling overwhelmed and out of control. Your plans will be filled with much complications and you will be met with a series of disappointments.

Or more generically, "storm":

To see a storm in your dream signifies some overwhelming struggle, shock, loss or catastrophe in your waking life. The storm also represents unexpressed fears or emotions, such as anger, rage, turmoil, etc. On a more positive note, the storm symbolizes your rising spirituality. It may signal rapid changes ahead for you.

For what it's worth.
Interesting info there. I am unable to pinpoint how far back these dreams go, however, the above would've made sense a few years ago, crica 2008-11 or so in what I've conveniently dubbed as Post Traumatic Recession Disorder . Things are much calmer now. I don't write this stuff down and don't remember the last tornado dream I had, but it probably pre-dates the recession. It's something I've wondered about for awhile and wanted to make a thread about it and see what other people dream of.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:11 PM

526 posts, read 852,713 times
I dream of my job I left 9 years ago. I dream I didn't do a project I would do monthly. Not doing this project would have huge impact - & I "just forgot". I dream of solutions, all which require my admitting my ****up & requiring help from others. Had this same dream a lot lately. Takes me awhile on wakening to realize I don't work there anymore, but I was so anxious while in dream I don't as relieved as I should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology