Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 07:10 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think that qualifies as a conspiracy theory. Does anyone question whether this is true? Usually a conspiracy theory has a number of people who don't believe what the CT claims. I personally don't know anyone who would dispute what's in bold.
Ok,
I'll give you another one....
the man hasn't gone to the moon.... I have zero proof, except for the fact that no man has gone to the moon since 1972.

Have you seen the size of computers back in 1972?
They used a refrigerator size computer to save the same data that we save today in a MicroSDcard

Just look at how much microprocessor have evolved since the last man went to the moon
So why is it that we haven't gone back again?+

Hell.... we don't even have to send a man to the moon, we can just send a robot, just like the ones we have sent to Mars.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 07:14 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
I certainly think there are SOME conspiracies. We have too many proven ones in history (successful and unsuccessful) to think there are absolutely none afoot now. But I think many of the most popularly talked about ones today are bunk. Why? Because I worked for a group of high-level corporate executives for several decades and some of the work was with defense contractors in the Federal government. I never met any of those people who could agree enough, trust enough, or keep their mouths shut long enough, to create a successful conspiracy.

Any conspiracy that is successful is probably the work of a small group of people. They would have to be obsessed, smart, stealthy, and willing to take great risks (e.g. al-Qaeda). I don't really know too many people like that. Most of the ones I know are just kind of smart, really greedy, and/or control freaks. In the long run, they tend to be all hat and no cattle, as they say, because they don't play well enough with others to actually bring a serious conspiracy to a conclusion.

I think people who believe in big, overarching conspiracies like the Twin Towers people are just unwilling to accept that life can be that cruel and that random and a small cadre of evil people could actually succeed in wreaking that much havoc. They want to think that bad things are perpetrated by overarching evil forces because that's more emotionally acceptable than believing any thing can happen at any time for pretty damn stupid reasons. Or that people who are supposed to be "in charge" fail at their jobs and bad things happen as a result. Like Benghazi, for example. Or Katrina. NOT conspiracies, IMO. Just ineptness or downright stupidity, creating a chain of failures. The Kennedy or King assassinations, maybe conspiracies. Someone always wants to kill a person with a lot of power. But still, it was probably a very small group if it was someone or something beyond Lee Harvey Oswald acting alone. And we'll never know for sure, which is what really frustrates people.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Follow the money like everything else.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:29 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Ok,
I'll give you another one....
the man hasn't gone to the moon.... I have zero proof, except for the fact that no man has gone to the moon since 1972.

Have you seen the size of computers back in 1972?
They used a refrigerator size computer to save the same data that we save today in a MicroSDcard

Just look at how much microprocessor have evolved since the last man went to the moon
So why is it that we haven't gone back again?+

Hell.... we don't even have to send a man to the moon, we can just send a robot, just like the ones we have sent to Mars.
Money. A moon shot's expensive. And for what reason? Unless we are going to set up some sort of permanent facility up there, what reason we would have to go back. Get more rocks?

Old 11-16-2013, 09:25 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times
Those NWO and Illuminati conspiracy theories always make me roll my eyes.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:43 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have a conspiracy theory about conspiracy theories.

I believe they purposely create or perpetuate totally fake ones so that everyone gets used to rolling their eyes and pshawing all the theories so that no one pays attention or believes the ones that are really true.

Exactly. Especially all the crazy competing theories about the global financial system, the Bilderbergers and the Illuminati.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:50 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
...I worked for a group of high-level corporate executives for several decades and some of the work was with defense contractors in the Federal government. I never met any of those people who could agree enough, trust enough, or keep their mouths shut long enough, to create a successful conspiracy...
That is another fallacy with a conspiracy where millions of Americans are the target - it would take a LOT of government employees to do all that work... People!

And people do not keep secrets very long.

Also if you were a government employee and saw there was a government conspiracy which was harmful to the people, wouldn't YOU get the word out about what was going on?

The people who work for the government are Americans too...

Old 11-17-2013, 02:06 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I certainly think there are SOME conspiracies. We have too many proven ones in history (successful and unsuccessful) to think there are absolutely none afoot now. But I think many of the most popularly talked about ones today are bunk. Why? Because I worked for a group of high-level corporate executives for several decades and some of the work was with defense contractors in the Federal government. I never met any of those people who could agree enough, trust enough, or keep their mouths shut long enough, to create a successful conspiracy.

Any conspiracy that is successful is probably the work of a small group of people. They would have to be obsessed, smart, stealthy, and willing to take great risks (e.g. al-Qaeda). I don't really know too many people like that. Most of the ones I know are just kind of smart, really greedy, and/or control freaks. In the long run, they tend to be all hat and no cattle, as they say, because they don't play well enough with others to actually bring a serious conspiracy to a conclusion.

I think people who believe in big, overarching conspiracies like the Twin Towers people are just unwilling to accept that life can be that cruel and that random and a small cadre of evil people could actually succeed in wreaking that much havoc. They want to think that bad things are perpetrated by overarching evil forces because that's more emotionally acceptable than believing any thing can happen at any time for pretty damn stupid reasons. Or that people who are supposed to be "in charge" fail at their jobs and bad things happen as a result. Like Benghazi, for example. Or Katrina. NOT conspiracies, IMO. Just ineptness or downright stupidity, creating a chain of failures. The Kennedy or King assassinations, maybe conspiracies. Someone always wants to kill a person with a lot of power. But still, it was probably a very small group if it was someone or something beyond Lee Harvey Oswald acting alone. And we'll never know for sure, which is what really frustrates people.
Having worked for the Government in various"agencies" over the years... I can tell you there is much more going on than you could EVER consieve.... Next time you are driving around your town or city, notice if you see any MILK trucks with out of state plates on them...I am not talking next door neighbor states, I am talking like you live in Kansas and the truck has Florida plates on it.. They sure as heck ain't carrying MILK...So what do you think is going on with that????

As for the twin towers, yes life can be cruel and random..BUT when you look at all the data - both the data given to the public and the data that never will be seen, you see that things do not add up..

And MOST people do not want to rock the boat no matter how much they complain or say they will do something.. Also most people are actually afraid what might happen if they do do something.....Hence the fact it is very easy to throw the wool over peoples eyes....

Old 11-17-2013, 03:11 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
OP, you need to research more. And facing the fact that some agencies get unlimited cash funding now from our govt, you may want to question your blind faith.

We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false.-- William Casey, CIA Director (from first staff meeting in 1981)

"The CIA worked very closely with them and United States supported Saddam Hussein at every level - gave him arms, gave him money, gave him political backing, the military helped him; none of this is really fully understood by the American people." - Peter Camejo

"The connections piled up quickly. Contra planes flew north to the U.S., loaded with cocaine, then returned laden with cash. All under the protective umbrella of the United States Government. My informants were perfectly placed: one worked with the Contra pilots at their base, while another moved easily among the Salvadoran military officials who protected the resupply operation. They fed me the names of Contra pilots. Again and again, those names showed up in the DEA database as documented drug traffickers. When I pursued the case, my superiors quietly and firmly advised me to move on to other investigations." - Former DEA Agent Celerino Castillo, Powder Burns, 1992

"We live in a dirty and dangerous world. There are some things the general public does not need to know, and shouldn't. I believe democracy flourishes when the government can take legitimate steps to keep its secrets and when the press can decide whether to print what it knows." - Katherine Graham

We [the CIA] decided to use our limited dollars to leverage technology developed elsewhere. In 1999 we chartered ... In-Q-Tel. ... While we pay the bills, In-Q-Tel is independent of CIA. CIA identifies pressing problems, and In-Q-Tel provides the technology to address them. The In-Q-Tel alliance has put the Agency back at the leading edge of technology ... This ... collaboration ... enabled CIA to take advantage of the technology that Las Vegas uses to identify corrupt card players and apply it to link analysis for terrorists [cf. the parallel data-mining effort by the SOCOM-DIA operation Able Danger , and to adapt the technology that online booksellers use and convert it to scour millions of pages of documents looking for unexpected results.
In-Q-Tel sold 5,636 shares of Google, worth over $2.2 million, on Nov 15, 2005.[SIZE=2][[/SIZE] The stocks were a result of Google’s acquisition of Keyhole, the CIA funded satellite mapping software now known as Google Earth.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:36 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have a conspiracy theory about conspiracy theories.

I believe they purposely create or perpetuate totally fake ones so that everyone gets used to rolling their eyes and pshawing all the theories so that no one pays attention or believes the ones that are really true.
oooh, I like that. I think you're absolutely right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology