U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 06:59 PM

15 posts, read 19,982 times

Advertisements

Loved ones are never forgotten by the ones who once lived with and loved them. Yes, in a sense they are selfish. But, the human mind and what goes on inside of it is the real way that suicidal people see things. If they could just really hold on "one more day." From my own personal experience, the longer loved ones have been gone from us the closer we become to them. The memories of them increase, and it seems they only died yesterday. I hope this helps.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 07:21 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,811,191 times
No, I do not think they are selfish. I would like to that that prior to them commiting the act, that they thought of their loved ones, but the internal torture was too great. The switch could not be un-flipped. The

I had three guy friends commit suicide after breakups. If anything, I blamed myself because maybe if I'd been there for them, I could have prevented it. Blaming myself and thinking "What If" is NOT going to bring them back. I wish it would, but I know it does not make a world of difference.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:22 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,328,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
When you're suicidal, you don't think you're being selfish. You think you're doing what's best for everyone. Life is extremely painful.
I completely agree.

Once a person gets to the point of making that decision, they are no longer thinking rationally about who they would hurt. I've often felt that if I died, nobody would care. I think a lot of people feel that way sometimes. But I have never gotten to the point of thinking "I should die and I should do it to myself." The worst was when I would be out walking around and think, "if I got hit by a car right now, or some freak accident happened, that would be okay."

To take it into your own hands is something entirely different. Most people who commit suicide are at their wit's end. The fact they even got there is shameful for the others who should have known and helped.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:46 PM

11,869 posts, read 15,791,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

People who are driven to kill themselves are just not thinking of how their death affects others. As this woman said, they are not CAPABLE of thinking that way.
This is not true, not for all suicidal individuals.

How would you explain the "I'm sorry" notes from people who commit suicide? "I'm sorry for doing this to you mom." Do you not think this person was aware of what his mother was going to feel when he killed himself? He was so capable of thinking about it that he apologized before he even did it. According to the document's date created and last save, he wrote the letter just before he died.

I don't know if it's selfish. I'm not going to judge someone who isn't even here anymore.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:15 PM

13,500 posts, read 17,518,432 times
Do I think people who commit suicide are selfish?...not at all, in their minds they might feel they're doing society, or family and friends a favor bowing out. Not selfish, just mixed up. Just needing someone to be there with them...It's sad that it's such a permanent ending.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:49 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,943,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytofly View Post
No.
People who think a suicidal individual should live to satisfy other people's happiness is selfish. Everyone has their own life to live
I agree

Old 11-20-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
He was so capable of thinking about it that he apologized before he even did it. According to the document's date created and last save, he wrote the letter just before he died.

It's the kind of capable when a person say: I am in too much pain... I am sorry, I know that this will make you said and I hate causing you pain, but I just can't bear it...

People expect suicidal people to forget their pain and to focus on those who don't have the pain, to suffer for their sake... Doesn't seem fair to me. Why should they suffer all these years just to make sure that the happy ones don't suffer later?

Old 11-20-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
People who expect an individual to live through an incurable mental illness or even severe physical deformities that ruin that individual's quality of life are selfish. Perhaps such people (even family) were partly to blame by not being there when that person needed them or in the case of parents, neglecting them as children.

There is nothing selfish about suicide compared to many of the bad things people do that are truly selfish such as adultery, stealing, bullying. Some people commit suicide because they don't want to become a burden

Until we can find a way of curing mental illness or truly helping those in need, suicide is a fact of life and should be legalized so that sixth people can die in a a painless and dignified manner rather than use a risky method which has a high probability of failure or leaving a gruesome mess for someone to discover.

It's all about quality of life. Some mental illnesses can be treated to the point where an individual can at least experience a reasonable quality of life. For others, it never goes away and such people cannot experience prolonged joy or any kind of stability. Some end up homeless, destitute, in trouble with the law or just completely alone and ostracized. This is a very uncaring world. I don't blame many people for wanting to check out on their own terms rather than face 70+ years of agony and turmoil.
Well said!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:49 AM

71,060 posts, read 66,840,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
This is not true, not for all suicidal individuals.

How would you explain the "I'm sorry" notes from people who commit suicide? "I'm sorry for doing this to you mom." Do you not think this person was aware of what his mother was going to feel when he killed himself? He was so capable of thinking about it that he apologized before he even did it. According to the document's date created and last save, he wrote the letter just before he died.

I don't know if it's selfish. I'm not going to judge someone who isn't even here anymore.
Good points. Some people are aware.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:37 PM

35,970 posts, read 23,607,860 times
Thanks everybody for responding. Rep for everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology