Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 03:50 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,606,116 times

Advertisements

How can one differentiate between being depressed or just living in an uninspiring, lame, boring city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 04:13 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,015,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
How can one differentiate between being depressed or just living in an uninspiring, lame, boring city?
Well, would you consider yourself a kind of person who can't settle in one place for too long or do you just dislike where you're currently living?

Sometimes moving helps, other times your problems just follow you.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Well, would you consider yourself a kind of person who can't settle in one place for too long or do you just dislike where you're currently living?
I can settle in for a few years at a time, then I get restless. I've put forth A LOT of effort to find like-minded people and try and have fun in this city, but it's so painfully boring and uninspiring. It's to the point I don't like going out much anymore.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:10 AM

5,510 posts, read 8,711,128 times
It would help us decide this if we knew what city you were actually in.

There are definitely boring cities -- boring because they have an overall button-down, socially conservative, or overly religious vibe, because they are small or relatively isolated, because they're economically depressed with shrinking populations, because they are cities dependent on only one industry so that if you're not connected with it there isn't much to do -- or some combination of any of these.

But if you're saying your bored living in San Francisco or New York or Boston or Chicago, which are cities where by all accounts there are endless things to do and a constant stream of new people moving in and out, then it might be you. In addition, since people don't live in cities -- they live in neighborhoods in cities -- maybe you'd be happier with a change in neighborhood instead of moving across the country or something like that.

So where are you now? And where have you lived before?

Old 11-18-2013, 09:16 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,067,535 times
Quote:
I can settle in for a few years at a time, then I get restless. I've put forth A LOT of effort to find like-minded people and try and have fun in this city, but it's so painfully boring and uninspiring. It's to the point I don't like going out much anymore.
I feel exactly the same. Wonder if we are in the same city??

Old 11-18-2013, 10:24 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,015,751 times
Quote:
Same as me, only I get tired of places within a year. I've had the same difficulties here and have been thinking of moving back to my country of birth for quite some time as I have always been a square peg trying to fit into a round hole.

What would your ideal city be and why? I hate conventional stuff like bars & clubs.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I have always been a square peg trying to fit into a round hole.
I feel like that here.

Quote:
What would your ideal city be and why? I hate conventional stuff like bars & clubs.
Definitely a city where there's more cultural diversity, people from all over, and an active social scene. Art, festivals, a strong entertainment hub, films being shot, vibrant music scene, big conventions, diverse cuisines, attractive but friendly, down to earth people...

I intentionally left out my city, because I always get sarcastic comments because a lot of people think it's so wonderful. However, I will answer. I live in Denver. I acknowledge it's better than a lot of places I've lived. But delving further, my neighborhood is notorious for snobbitry, marrieds and soccer moms. YUCK! I'm single and childfree. However, cheap rent!!!!

I was born in Chicago, lived in multiple cities in Florida, Dallas, Las Vegas, Italy and am extremely well-traveled globally. I relocated back to Denver over a year ago, due to a series of layoffs starting in Vegas and moving the layoff luck with me to Dallas.

I've lived in Denver on and off for 19 years now. I don't snowboard or ski anymore. I've put forth serious effort in my year being back here to date, make new friends and find interesting work. Zip to all of it and recently I'm having pangs of regret moving back here.

But, the weather is nice, the mountains are beautiful and I'm by family. Other than that, I'm so uninspired. Denver is so boring it hurts. And before the sarcastic comments start coming in -

I've hiked a 14er
Hiked trails throughout the foothills into Boulder & up to Estes Park
Ghost hunted with TAPS at The Stanley
Participated in community theater plays, multiple film projects & improv
Had my own band
Been to ALL the bars on the Broadway stretch
Been to all the live music venues in Denver
Art museum
attend first Friday and third Thurs artwalk on Santa Fe
Eaten that massive burrito featured on Man vs. Food off Santa Fe
Worked for and promoted a well-known radio station here
Run the stairs at Red Rocks
Had Denver's infamous margarita at The Rio
and a lot more....

My point is, I've been here done that. I'm also not meeting like-minded people. It's always been a struggle to break through the cliques out here - which is why I've moved away three other times. Why don't I return to where was better? Economic collapse.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:26 PM

23,111 posts, read 28,848,059 times
Whenever I get the itch to relocate somewhere, I see a red flag: I've gotten bored with myself, not my environment!

Old 11-18-2013, 02:43 PM

19,784 posts, read 13,318,211 times
Quote:
I've hiked a 14er
Hiked trails throughout the foothills into Boulder & up to Estes Park
Ghost hunted with TAPS at The Stanley
Participated in community theater plays, multiple film projects & improv
Had my own band
Been to ALL the bars on the Broadway stretch
Been to all the live music venues in Denver
Art museum
attend first Friday and third Thurs artwalk on Santa Fe
Eaten that massive burrito featured on Man vs. Food off Santa Fe
Worked for and promoted a well-known radio station here
Run the stairs at Red Rocks
Had Denver's infamous margarita at The Rio
and a lot more....

My point is, I've been here done that. I'm also not meeting like-minded people. It's always been a struggle to break through the cliques out here - which is why I've moved away three other times. Why don't I return to where was better? Economic collapse.
Well your OP came off like a bored teenager and yet you obviously weren't born yesterday and don't sit around waiting for something interesting to come to you. So I dunno ... you appear to have lived places you like better but it's not good for your work. What IS your line of work?

Personally I like college towns the best. I've enjoyed the vibe in and around Berkeley, Ithaca, Madison, Bloomington ... at least close to campus, at any rate; Madison, for example, is still the midwest and the land of helmet-haired soccer moms and the UW campus there only extends so far and then you're still in the middle of a bunch of corn fields.

It sounds like you want egalitarian, progressive, open, curious people to interact with; surely there is someplace like that which doesn't represent unemployment for you?

Old 11-18-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Whenever I get the itch to relocate somewhere, I see a red flag: I've gotten bored with myself, not my environment!
That is an interesting perspective. I think I'm going to start with getting out of my neighborhood and living in an entirely new area in my current city.

Quote:
It sounds like you want egalitarian, progressive, open, curious people to interact with; surely there is someplace like that which doesn't represent unemployment for you?
I would agree. Just don't know where that is.

Quote:
What IS your line of work?
I have several skill sets to fall back on. Right now I'm an executive assistant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology