Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:19 PM

67 posts, read 189,047 times

Advertisements

In my psychology class we are breaking social norms for our final project (i am in 11th grade).I am going to list off my ideas, and I would like feedback and your suggestions.

My List:
-Dress up like an Al Qaeda, go to an ice cream shop and proclaim "this ice cream is the bomb!"
-Go trick or treating on thanksgiving in broad daylight
-Take stuff out of random people's carts in a store
-Use make-up to appear to have a pipe sticking out of my head, and walk around like that
-Eat a whole sample plate at a store
-Walk down an up escalator or walk up a down escalator
-walk into a random store/restaurant and act like I am the manager
-Drive into a drive through and try to give the drive through operator food as he is try's to give me mine
-Walk around in SLOW-MOTION.

What do you folks think? Can you give me some suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 09:22 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,133,683 times
I think the idea behind breaking social norms should be: because it's a better way....or freedom of expressing self. The idea is NOT to make it something as offensive as possible just to get people riled up or something that hurts people.

So, from your list, these seem like possibilities:

-Use make-up to appear to have a pipe sticking out of my head, and walk around like that

Old 11-20-2013, 09:25 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
I would refuse to do the assignment.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
I think the idea behind breaking social norms should be: because it's a better way....or freedom of expressing self. The idea is NOT to make it something as offensive as possible just to get people riled up or something that hurts people.

So, from your list, these seem like possibilities:

None of the ideas really seem that offensive. At first I thought the Al Qaeda one was a little bit, but the Al Qaeda really exist and are not good people, so making fun of them isn't really bad. The rest of the stuff is socially unacceptable, and don't seem THAT offensive.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROYJENKINS! View Post
None of the ideas really seem that offensive. At first I thought the Al Qaeda one was a little bit, but the Al Qaeda really exist and are not good people, so making fun of them isn't really bad. The rest of the stuff is socially unacceptable, and don't seem THAT offensive.

I guess we just have our own definitions of what hurts people and what doesn't. I believe that stealing someone's stuff hurts someone. Or creating a scare that could really scare some people and bring the cops to you (the terrorist thing), not everybody would see this as a joke.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I guess we just have our own definitions of what hurts people and what doesn't. I believe that stealing someone's stuff hurts someone. Or creating a scare that could really scare some people and bring the cops to you (the terrorist thing), not everybody would see this as a joke.
Ohhhhh I probably should specify a few things. He told us to interview the people whom we pranked/experimented upon after we prank them. and the one where I take stuff from someone's cart I would give it back and ask them what they thought, and tell them it was for a school project. And the terrorist one I would pretty much just satire the Al Qaeda by saying the ice cream is the "bomb", which in my town is slang for "very good" or "Delicious".

Old 11-20-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROYJENKINS! View Post
Ohhhhh I probably should specify a few things. He told us to interview the people whom we pranked/experimented upon after we prank them. and the one where I take stuff from someone's cart I would give it back and ask them what they thought, and tell them it was for a school project. And the terrorist one I would pretty much just satire the Al Qaeda by saying the ice cream is the "bomb", which in my town is slang for "very good" or "Delicious".

Ok.

Well, I just thought that the point of the project may be to show how to be a pioneer, and to bring changes to the world. Those things would be unusual to the world because the world likes to keep things the way they are. But taking someone's stuff... what does that show, that you're trying to be a bad person? I thought the point was to do something innovative (new), but not bad (or to do it symbolically at least).

Is the project supposed to teach that breaking norms could be a good thing or supposed to teach that it's a bad thing?

Old 11-20-2013, 10:14 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
I was going to suggest walking into your local Game Stop and screaming "LEROY JENKINS" but on second thought, that would be normal...

Old 11-20-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Ok.

Well, I just thought that the point of the project may be to show how to be a pioneer, and to bring changes to the world. Those things would be unusual to the world because the world likes to keep things the way they are. But taking someone's stuff... what does that show, that you're trying to be a bad person? I thought the point was to do something innovative (new), but not bad (or to do it symbolically at least).

Is the project supposed to teach that breaking norms could be a good thing or supposed to teach that it's a bad thing?
Not really... we have been learning about Deviance (different or unacceptable behavior: behavior that is sharply different from a customary, traditional, or generally accepted standard) and he wants us to give examples of deviant behavior, (I probably should have named this good examples of DEVIANT behavior...) which I also should have mentioned... :P

Old 11-20-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I was going to suggest walking into your local Game Stop and screaming "LEROY JENKINS" but on second thought, that would be normal...
LOLOL I might actually do that now
So few people on this site get my name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology