Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,251 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am seeking advice about my 6-year-old son. He is behaving pretty bad in school. I think that I understand why. He has an attitude in which if he is not #1 then he doesn't even want to try, so he treats other children bad.

Maybe somebody had an experience with this kind of situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 05:06 PM

50,135 posts, read 35,792,448 times
I would ask this on the parenting forum.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:02 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,194,633 times
Does your son get treated like he's #1 at home?

Old 11-26-2013, 06:19 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,579,270 times
Lots of missing info:

Siblings?
Health issues/diagnoses?
Both parents in the home?

We need more info to offer suggestions.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:40 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,291,098 times
Could this be a part of a PC society where every one wins? If all participants are getting accolades, not one gets ignored and everyone walks away with some kind of prize. His response may be a balance against being PC. Everyone doesn't have to be first, to win, to get accolades all the time to be of value. Great questions to come out of this one. Wmsn has a few, please extrapolate.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:48 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,217,429 times
That is a tough one because you do want to encourage kids to do their best - to be the best. And tough because kids that age are so self-centered. It is very difficult to get them to consider the feelings of other people.

I would maybe set up some sort of game to play where each person needs to be a loser before they can be a winner. And after being a winner, you need to lose again before you can win again. Maybe when first starting everyone gets one "loser credit" so there can be an initial winner. Create the game yourself.

And try teaching the kid that not everyone can win every time with competitions in real life. That most people need to take their turn "losing" so one person can win. And that when he wins 1st place at something, there are a lot of other kids who are losing and many of them may feel bad about that.

FYI - I have been in adult competitions where I have won 1st place many times. It is not much fun - everybody else is ticked off that they did not win. And if you get to where you win all the time, no one else wants to play with you any more. Best to let others win every now and then. You know you are good and can win a lot. That is all that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology