Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2013, 12:00 AM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times

Advertisements

I think we all have those times we need a quick item or have some emergency. But you are right that some people habitually do these things. If I do come to your store at 8:55, I will grab my item or 2 and head for the register, no dallying.

I think these are largely the same people who:

Start writing a check after their groceries are rung up, with a long line behind them.

Go for a leisurely drive in rush hour traffic.

Call a business for information and don't have any account information ready and/or don't have a pen to write things down. I dealt with this dozens of times every day for 11 years.

Call a business about a letter they received but don't have the letter with them or remember a word it said. (Business at fault here too, if system cannot ID what has been sent out.)

Want to return clothing items that have been altered. I once knew an old woman that terrorized every store manager in our town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 06:19 AM

35,666 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Maybe the person has just got off work themselves, and are trying to get their shopping done in a hurry before your store closes, because you close too damn early. Ever think about that?

Or maybe they are like me and come into the store at closing time because I know that you are going to wait on me in a hurry so you can get me out of the store quickly. Rather then ignoring me for 20 minutes.
6 to 10 Pm 7 x a week-- don't think so

Old 11-28-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, not good enough. Not when I'm at the gym at 6 and coming home around that time.

No worries, I'll go to a competitor!
baby in my field ( the competitor- which I also have worked at) - they close at the same time, and its the same story- for the 15th time, not referring to those rushing to get a last minute item.. and how about at the gym they must get their laps in and 20 min of cardio- and they walked in 2 min before closing?? NOW you can't get to the store -huh?

Last edited by tinytrump; 11-28-2013 at 06:44 AM..

Old 11-28-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
So, if you're not paid a high enough wage, you're under no obligation to work hard? That's quite a work ethic. No wonder the Chinese are winning.
Darling come join me, come stand with me 8 hrs and see how I earn my "best customer service award"... as I said in 5 previous post.. during my shift, I spit shine your shoes. but when its time to go home it is TIME to go home, but what I see is people who refuse to obey the rules. You have given me slack over and over as how you think your individual needs MUST be met. Companies are not there for you either, they want their dollar and as we are materialistic society no shortage of consumers- if you leave and shop on line there are hundreds more... the less pay, the less quality items and the more they can charge you and they are happy--and guess what? -they are doing pretty darn good. (billions)
I love the individual small shop owner, they know you, they appreciate you and it is a two way street but guess what? - you the consumer abandoned a lot of them and they had to close. I think some are coming back, but you see any strip mall- and most of those smaller storefronts are closed and empty.

As another poster wrote there are other problems with late shoppers- for the store...did you read it at all?

Old 11-28-2013, 07:49 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,643,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Decided this was a mental issue- so- why do shoppers NOT go home at closing or come in 5 minutes before the store closes.. not needing -a last minute pr of nylons or the kids crayons for school or a plumbing part.. why??
that just goes with the territory when you working with the public, its been like that forever and should be expected. there are many valid reasons people do this and that's never going to change, you will always have stragglers. and yes I use to work in retail at venture dept store in deerfeild il back in the day so I been on both side of the issue. and if you are blessed with a long life i'm sure you will find yourself walking in a store near closing time for whatever reason, it will happen.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:04 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

The one that really gets to me is the deli/seafood/butcher department in a grocery store that starts shutting down at 8 p.m. so they 'can make the 9 p.m. store closing'. NO! The store stays open until 9. You clean up or restock or do whatever you have to do after 9!

I used to get annoyed about that as well. But then i realized that if the store closes at 9, you're sure to see a long line form at the deli and seafood counters 5 minutes before closing. And those shoppers are likely going to have full carts of groceries which will need to be checked out at the front register. Their 9:00 closing would get blown out of the water if every department were open until the last minute.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:05 AM

(quote) many valid reasons people do this and that's never going to change,

the question-- for those who are habitual late comers and just stroll for a while after close?
I have ran in and OUT to get last min item, but I am out in a hurry- again this is about the lingering not looking at the time folks...

Old 11-28-2013, 10:29 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,643,677 times
Quote:
(quote) many valid reasons people do this and that's never going to change,

the question-- for those who are habitual late comers and just stroll for a while after close?
I have ran in and OUT to get last min item, but I am out in a hurry- again this is about the lingering not looking at the time folks...
ok I was only referring to the people who walk in near closing time just people in general.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:54 AM

yes and 75% of the posters got upset, that I said anything at all-- guess I might see some of them in my store LOL.., be nice -get your stuff and GO HOME! and to be honest some of these folks are old.. as in 70+, one told me he is 78.. what on earth are you doing out so late? it is dangerous! it's 10 PM go home.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:04 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Decided this was a mental issue- so- why do shoppers NOT go home at closing or come in 5 minutes before the store closes.. not needing -a last minute pr of nylons or the kids crayons for school or a plumbing part.. why??
It may be annoying if you work at the store but if you are the owner it could be a good thing. Ever stop to think that the anxiety of shopping within that last 10, 15 minutes of a stores closing could cause people to purchase more (or make uninformed decisions)? Would not surprise me if stores actually make more at closing time than they do at any other time of the day.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology