Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 05:59 PM

4,555 posts, read 4,081,891 times

Advertisements

How come horror movies always incorporate sex? Normally the level of horror or sex in these movies wouldn't be tolerable but somehow together they are?

I can't imagine how we can rationally excuse slaughter just because there is a sex reward coming afterwards... So I guess this is something innate in human nature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 06:25 PM

936 posts, read 2,065,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
How come horror movies always incorporate sex? Normally the level of horror or sex in these movies wouldn't be tolerable but somehow together they are?

I can't imagine how we can rationally excuse slaughter just because there is a sex reward coming afterwards... So I guess this is something innate in human nature?
Aren't most horror films geared and marketed toward teen boys? That would explain not just the sex and the violence but also the crappy acting.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:34 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,708,881 times
It serves fetishes like this. Some pople get sexual pleasure of it. (not should be legal as are not in rl)

Old 11-27-2013, 10:36 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,856,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
Aren't most horror films geared and marketed toward teen boys? That would explain not just the sex and the violence but also the crappy acting.
Teenagers in general, but yeah, good point...

I'd also say there's a very deep seated association with sex and punishment. Notice how in the typical horror movie the virginal girl tends to survive? Something horrible usually happens to a couple as they're in the act or shortly after...

Old 11-28-2013, 03:59 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,084,497 times
It's an old theme. In astrology and some other spiritual traditions, sex, death and rebirth are considered forms of the same energy: transformation.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:35 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,317,465 times
It's a way of getting emotionally intimate and vulnerable, and when you are open, tragedy strikes. Kind of like finding out the person you've been with for a few years is a cult murderer. Think BTK killer.

The fantasy becomes real when the emotional closeness pulls you in, then WHAM, right in the solar plexus. It heightens the terror. It was that close to me... This is much better than creating driving plot lines, where a character is identifiable and believable. Sex is the instant sizzle.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:31 PM

4,232 posts, read 4,492,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post

A couple things. Historically, Hollywood and mass media tested the moral visual content thresholds and found pushback from the citizens type groups, community standards, Catholic Decency league etc...

What they quickly found was that they could show more racy, scary content as long as it was portrayed as evil and inevitably punished. Everything from campy horror of Universal Pictures to Biblical Epics of Cecil B. DeMille (note DeMille was one who specifically cited this as his reason for doing Biblical films). Over time with relaxed standard of late 50s - 1960s the envelope kept being pushed to what we have now. And as prior poster mentioned the market is now geared almost entirely to teenage boys, hence the content.

Basically, once a proven 'formula' is shown to work in the corporate world the producers will continue to use it. It is a by product of two things: profits and mass societal programming (de-sensitivity training).

Old 12-03-2013, 10:26 PM

191 posts, read 263,130 times
Horror movies are inevitably morality tales. Sexually promiscuous teens getting hacked up, etc.

They're very conservative in that regard.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Old 12-07-2013, 08:15 AM

823 posts, read 1,980,376 times
The reason is the amygdala; controls basic raw feelings like fear, agression and lust.

The amygdala is our primitive brain, the one we share with the rest of animals; our "human" thinking is done at the cortex.

So basically, movie directors know that the more stimulated your amygdala is, the better.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:17 AM

823 posts, read 1,980,376 times
PS, keep in mind that love and hate both are processed in the same place, the amygdala. That's the reason many times there's just a short ride from love to hate, which leads to "passional crimes".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology