Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 04:43 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times

Advertisements

Obese I generally don't take much issue with, partly because I've been there. Morbidly obese, however, I do take issue with because I know they're costing the rest of us money - every cultural accommodation to make the morbidly obese more comfortable ends up costing consumers - the motorized carts at the supermarket, reinforced furniture and hospital gurneys, larger plane seats, so on and so forth. We ALL pay for those accommodations.

That said, the government has a lot to do with this. It's well-known in the medical community the kind of diet that gets Type 2 diabetes under control - a diet high on proteins, low on carbs, fats are mostly immaterial. It works. One can even add additional complex carbs if they know how to eat those in conjunction with proteins/fats.

But the diet the USDA recommends runs counter to that - lots of carbs, less protein, little fat. There's only one reason for that - food lobbying by BigAg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 05:48 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
I am sad when I see young women in their 20s and 30s with several kids in tow that are grossly overweight. I hope they will get their act together so they can set a good example for their kids and also so they live long enough to see their kids grow up. Then when I get to the checkout line at the grocery I see many of them with very unhealthy foods in their cart. I so disagree that more healthy choices are more expensive than the fatty foods such as chips, soda and cookies. How does a can of "healthy" pinto beans compare with a huge bag of chips? A bag of carrots (fresh) can be had for a little over a dollar.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:51 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I am sad when I see young women in their 20s and 30s with several kids in tow that are grossly overweight. I hope they will get their act together so they can set a good example for their kids and also so they live long enough to see their kids grow up. Then when I get to the checkout line at the grocery I see many of them with very unhealthy foods in their cart. I so disagree that more healthy choices are more expensive than the fatty foods such as chips, soda and cookies. How does a can of "healthy" pinto beans compare with a huge bag of chips? A bag of carrots (fresh) can be had for a little over a dollar.
Forget moms...we see childless TEEN girls with NO posture, all slouched, boobs hanging, fat hanging out of their pants, or shorter than short shorts....and who seem not to care much about their appearance! If you put that side by side with teens of the 1800's you'll want to cry, because it is incomprehensible WHY they walk, sit, and look like this!

Old 12-02-2013, 07:22 AM

334 posts, read 716,362 times
Your perception of obese people?

My perception is that they lack a degree of self-control and self-respect. I actually feel bad for them. It has to be very physically uncomfortable. It's also none of my business.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:07 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,545,355 times
It's none of my business but when it's someone I love I worry about their health and well-being, especially when it's a young child who is growing up with unhealthy eating habits.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:24 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
It's none of my business but when it's someone I love I worry about their health and well-being, especially when it's a young child who is growing up with unhealthy eating habits.
I hear ya! One of my favorite documentaries, "The Weight Of The Nation" (you can watch it for free on Amazon and Youtube) shows people who battle their weight. It's so sad and so realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I plan on setting a good example for my kids. Now that I look back, my parents let me eat whatever I want. There was one point where I would only eat french fries for breakfast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I judge a person by what is inside. I have known and been friends of people of all sizes, and the thin ones were no better than the heavy ones. If I am in a store and am looking around and seeing all sorts of people of all sizes and I see someone that is obese, I am aware they are obese and often actually feel for them because I know it is hard to live in today's society like that. If anyone could use a hug and a nice smiling face, it would be someone that is obese.
Aww! I wish more people thought like you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
Obesity makes me think of depression and poverty. I know that many obese people are neither, but those are the first thoughts I have. I think it has to do with my training in healthcare. As a nurse and administrator, these are the groups that I have seen with the highest rates of obesity. Actual hypothyroidism and other metabolic disorders are quite rare. Interestingly, I myself have hypothyroidism, but I strictly monitor my food intake to maintain a healthy weight. In my field, extra weight makes performing my job very difficult.

While I put much more emphasis on personality, the above are my initial impressions. Of course, it is far more important to actually learn about this individual and not some physical attribute. We are much more than how we look, and my experience has been that there is always more connections tying people together, rather than, demonstrating differences. This has held true regardless of race, size, age, or any other metric.
Yeah, I battle depression. But I'm thankfully making progress! I'm losing weight very SLOWLY and sometimes I have bad weeks. But I'm trying (for the 28378237th time!).

It sucks being young and fat. Everyone has a boyfriend, and I want one, too. And even if I was approached by a guy, I'd have to decline. It's impossible to love someone else when you don't love yourself.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:38 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
Its not that people are obese that bother me, its that obesity is proven to increase your risks for a myriad of diseases/conditions. This is taxing our already high cost medical system. Then you see people trying to tout that its ok to be fat, and that curves are sexy. Yea you know what else is sexy? Not paying as much for health insurance as you do for a mortgage.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:05 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Obese I generally don't take much issue with, partly because I've been there. Morbidly obese, however, I do take issue with because I know they're costing the rest of us money - every cultural accommodation to make the morbidly obese more comfortable ends up costing consumers - the motorized carts at the supermarket, reinforced furniture and hospital gurneys, larger plane seats, so on and so forth. We ALL pay for those accommodations.

That said, the government has a lot to do with this. It's well-known in the medical community the kind of diet that gets Type 2 diabetes under control - a diet high on proteins, low on carbs, fats are mostly immaterial. It works. One can even add additional complex carbs if they know how to eat those in conjunction with proteins/fats.

But the diet the USDA recommends runs counter to that - lots of carbs, less protein, little fat. There's only one reason for that - food lobbying by BigAg.
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!

Old 12-02-2013, 11:46 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
There's only one reason for that - food lobbying by BigAg.
There is the central truth of "The American Way", Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in America, unless it occurs as a process of transferring wealth from the workers to the owners. If no profits can be made, it simply will not happen. There will be no reduction in obesity in America, until some large corporation or cartel figures out a way to more profitably capitalize on a reduction of obesity.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:59 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,545,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is the central truth of "The American Way", Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in America, unless it occurs as a process of transferring wealth from the workers to the owners. If no profits can be made, it simply will not happen. There will be no reduction in obesity in America, until some large corporation or cartel figures out a way to more profitably capitalize on a reduction of obesity.
You always make a lot of sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology