U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,536 times

Advertisements

Parents, would you agree with this? It seems like a generation bashing post, but everyone nowadays, from more than three generatiions claim the the new generation of young adults are going down the wrong path?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 10:06 PM

724 posts, read 1,742,138 times
I do agree to a certain extent. I'm 39 and I already see a big difference between my generation and the younger generations. Thanks mostly to our advances in technology I see the newer generations being less capable of real social interactions since most of them communicate through social media/text messaging. When I was in my teens and in my 20's we would actually go up to a persons door and ring the doorbell to announce our arrival. These days the younger folks send text messages.

There is also the bleak economic outlook that is dividing folks into two distinct groups of people. The rich and the not rich and as the years go by I only see that division getting wider and wider.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:10 PM

61,294 posts, read 81,738,992 times
they are not going down the wrong path, they are going down the path we sent them.
they did not mess up we did.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:37 PM

3,279 posts, read 7,367,321 times
The next generation doesn't have a bleak future. "The sky is falling" crap is getting really, really old.

The next generation will have its fair share of successful individuals as well as its fair share of losers, just like every generation before it.

We are pulling out of this recession just like we've pulled out of every recession before it. An awful lot of people had "the sky is falling" mentality when Jimmy Carter was in office, and we recovered from that. What makes the period we are living in any different?

BTW, the unemployment rate keeps dropping... the tide is already turning for the better and has been for a while. The stock market is a general bellwether for the state of the economy and it has been going up and up for a few years.

As far as the entitlement complex that gets pegged on young people today, old folks have been complaining about how spoiled the younger generation is since the beginning of time.

You can go ahead and uncurl out of the fetal position. The next generation will be fine.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:12 AM

191 posts, read 243,063 times
Seems like an age old complaint. And yet, culture really is changing.

Still, its usually a non-scientific observation based on fear.

Most hate or scorn is based on fear. You know? Seems to me at least.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Old 12-08-2013, 05:16 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,938,715 times
Because they're jealous of us and wish that they were born later because they don't want to be known as the generation who screwed up the future. But that's okay, we'll fix it, for ya!

As a member of Gen. Y (aka Millennial) I can proudly say that we'll be just fine. We were kids and we sat back and watched the Baby Boomers make mistake after mistake.

The Pew Research Center - Millennial's Priorities
52% - Be a good parent
30% - Have a successful marriage
21% - Helping others in need
20% - Owning a home
15% - Having a very religious life
15% - Have a high-paying career
9% - Having lots of free time
1% - Become famous

Last edited by Pinkmani; 12-08-2013 at 05:28 AM..

Old 12-08-2013, 06:16 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,363,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnJones View Post
Parents, would you agree with this? It seems like a generation bashing post, but everyone nowadays, from more than three generatiions claim the the new generation of young adults are going down the wrong path?
"Going down the wrong path" is a meaningless generalization.

In any case, youngsters and even twenty-somethings will live in an America and a world that is far different, I think, than that of the previous two generations. We are a society that lives voraciously on imports, and one that has lost the edge in many manufacturing areas and is unlikely to regain or replace it, and we have developed a national mentality of believing in a way of life of endless having and gratification and amusement.

The idea that the Great Recession that began under Mr. Bush and may be winding up finally does not mean America or the world is going to roll back the time machine to the pre-recession era, and then go merrily tootling along as if it never happened. Vast changes are occurring in the economies of the world, and these are very likely to have a permanent negative impact on the opportunities available to the generation presently growing up engrossed in various peek-n-poke devices.

The "wrong road" may be that of believing in consumerism and relentless individual gratification in a near future when the American economy will not be able to support this kind of orientation. However, I don't think the "new generation" can be blamed for this in any way, these are the cultural expectations they have been raised with. However, they will, I think, have to make some severe shifts in expectations and lifestyle, like it or not. They may find themselves having to live the more conservative and careful lifestyle of their grandparents and great-grandparents. And if the Pew study cited in one posting is an accurate reflection of the young generation, then perhaps they will be able to pull in their consumerist horns and learn to adjust to living in a different America.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:16 AM

914 posts, read 862,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

BTW, the unemployment rate keeps dropping...
Yeah, because people are running out of benefits without having found a job and are thus no longer counted as "unemployed."

What is the actual figure of people who WANT to work a forty-hour a week job who do not have one? That figure is your REAL un/under-employed figure.

What is the actual figure of people who want to work...and don't have a job...whether or not they get unemployment benefits...THAT is your real unemployment figure.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:18 AM

10,599 posts, read 16,265,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Because they're jealous of us and wish that they were born later because they don't want to be known as the generation who screwed up the future. But that's okay, we'll fix it, for ya!

As a member of Gen. Y (aka Millennial) I can proudly say that we'll be just fine. We were kids and we sat back and watched the Baby Boomers make mistake after mistake.

52% - Be a good parent
20% - Owning a home
1% - Become famous
So these figures are posted as a POSITIVE?

You missed the most glaring statistic:

69% of voters ages 18-29 favor an expanded role for government, agreeing that it should do more to solve problems. Young Voters in the 2008 Election People-Press.

Good luck with that one.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:22 AM

914 posts, read 862,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post

52% - Be a good parent
20% - Owning a home
1% - Become famous
Nice to see a Gen Y. with a positive attitude!
Until about a year ago, I despaired for Gen Y....
and thought they really should have been called "Gen WHY"

Then I went to my church's annual General Assembly.
As the only member of my congregation there...I decided to experience as many things as I could...different things...whether or not they were of immediate interest to me. In short, I wanted to be a sponge that brought back to my church...a little something for everyone.

That is how I, a 42 year old single woman with no children...wound up in one of the Youth seminars.

And I was surrounded by bright, intelligent, aware, socially active Gen Y'ers...and for the first time in my life I felt okay about Gen Y.

And I think it is because too often, the older generation passes judgement on the younger without ever really listening to them, or getting to know them. We Gen Xer's got the same treatment from our Baby Boomer parents.

And I swore I wouldn't be like them. But it's easy to fall into that trap!

The kids I met and spoke with, and listened to from my church, when I was in Louisville...really gave me hope for the future generation for the first time.

Nice to see your positive attitude, and can-do spirit, Gen Y'er!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology