Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 03:58 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,203,754 times

Advertisements

Has anyone witnessed someone have a nervous breakdown? Or has anyone here suffered a nervous breakdown or a mental breakdown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 04:18 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,644 times
You mean an all-at-once type thing, or more gradually?

I've had a few bad anxiety attacks, if that counts.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
You mean an all-at-once type thing, or more gradually?

I've had a few bad anxiety attacks, if that counts.
Well I was thinking and all at once type of thing.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:46 PM

256 posts, read 480,048 times
Why do you ask?
Or rather, what is it that you are really asking?
Please elaborate.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Dragonfly View Post
Why do you ask?
Or rather, what is it that you are really asking?
Please elaborate.
I'm just curious people ask questions all the time here. That's what forums are for. There's nothing hidden hear, it's a straight forward question.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
And here's a straight forward answer. Yes, I have witnessed someone having a "nervous breakdown" AKA a psychotic break.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:23 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,367,511 times
"Nervous breakdown" is not really a clinical term-
it's more of a broad/layperson's phrase, that can be used to describe a range of crises (for reasons emotional/biochemical/what have you).

I haven't had one, nor have I witnessed one (knowingly)-
however, when I was a kid my mother would have what were referred to as "nervous breakdowns", during which time she would disappear and go live with her parents.
I later learned that she had bipolar disorder, wasn't well-managed with medication,
and her "nervous breakdowns" were periods of manic exhaustion (or deep depression), paranoia, and psychological decompensation.
She couldn't function anymore when things became that severe-
but after a few weeks, things would go back to normal (seemingly) for several months or a year or two, until it happened all over again.

It's (so far as I know) not something that happens suddenly (like a tantrum, meltdown, or panic attack) in an instant, right before your eyes-
it's a phenomenon that builds (or spirals/snowballs) with pressure/stress over time-though it can be like "the straw that broke the camel's back", I suppose.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:36 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,632 times
Yes. I had one back in April.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:39 AM

513 posts, read 736,671 times
Default Similar with me--

..."however, when I was a kid my mother would have what were referred to as "nervous breakdowns", during which time she would disappear and go live with her parents.
I later learned that she had bipolar disorder, wasn't well-managed with medication,
and her "nervous breakdowns" were periods of manic exhaustion (or deep depression), paranoia, and psychological decompensation.
She couldn't function anymore when things became that severe-
but after a few weeks, things would go back to normal (seemingly) for several months or a year or two, until it happened all over again.

It's (so far as I know) not something that happens suddenly (like a tantrum, meltdown, or panic attack) in an instant, right before your eyes-
it's a phenomenon that builds (or spirals/snowballs) with pressure/stress over time-though it can be like "the straw that broke the camel's back", I suppose.

This happened with my mother when I was a child. She would go to my aunt's, her sister's, and pretty much sit in a chair and stare out of a window. Or she went to bed for days at the time. I was just told "Your mamma doesn't feel well." I knew it wasn't physical. After a while, she would get up and everything would go back to normal. After my father died, one time she was hospitalized with hysterical blindness for a month and actually had the electroshock therapy to return her normal sight. I wish some of the drugs available now were available then, but I doubt she would have taken it. She felt one's faith should overcome depression.

I have had panic attacks several times, along with depression, throughout my adult life.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:13 AM

993 posts, read 1,560,219 times
Yeah, I did a few years ago. It happened after months of colossal events occurring in my life, some my own doing and others not.

It's not like in the movie, where it happens in a day and the person ends up catatonic when it's over. In my case, it lasted for a couple weeks, surging in waves, and was finally concluded to be a symptom of an illness. Sucks that I had to go through it, but at least it got me to a place where I had to confront that there was a real problem that I couldn't abate on my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology