Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 01:25 PM

40,936 posts, read 49,025,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I agree with you. I think there are more bi women than bi men. Just my opinion.
I believe there are just as many men but since it's not as socially accepted it's still locked in the closet.

Women can be more out then many men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 01:26 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,323,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
Sorry, but every person is unique and regardless of their sexual orientation we all have varying levels of social skills with other people. We all know the straight guy who can't interact with women if his life depended on it. Does it turn him gay? I don't think so. Many gays are better at interacting with women than men because they are less judgemental typically. Does it turn us straight because other men are mean/cruel to us? No.
...and you have a mental issue that does not allow for you to think like a logical human being.
You're scaring me. I'm good with women, almost too good.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:04 PM

936 posts, read 2,064,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Yes, I think it does. That may be a valid explanation as to why someone would not come out and openly admit to being gay. But I don't think it explains why they would actually get involved in a romantic relationship with someone they have no interest in or attraction to, unless they are at least exploring. It's not like society dictates that every person must be involved in a relationship, or they are considered to be gay. Even many heterosexuals go well into their late teens before having their first romantic relationship. It's not like a gay teenager couldn't wait until they are ready to come out, to have a relationship.

Anyway, these days most high schools (except maybe in the south, or some rural areas) will have a few openly gay students. It's not like there is going to be enough stigma attached to being gay, to force some kid to have a heterosexual relationship that he is not interested in. Even if he are not ready to come out.
How many times do I/we have to explain that we enter relationships with women when we are young mostly because we are trying to deny our sexuality to OURSELVES. When I was 15 in 1997 I didnt think to myself (as you seem to assume) "hey im gay but im going to date a girl anyway because society is sort of accepting and there is an openly gay guy in my class who gets treated like ****!"

what was really going through my head was "oh **** i might be gay because i find guys hot, but girls are ok too so maybe im not gay? oh well i'll just date girls and see how it works out because it would be terrible to be gay"

I was young and horny, i wanted to have sex with anything and everything and I really wanted to be straight. Trying to analyze 15 year old boys' hormones is more complicated than you seem to think.

And as far as the older gay guys with women, that is mostly a thing of the past except in guys who stay in denial much longer than the rest of us.

Long story short: at that age we are so unsure and confused about what we are interested in so entering a relationship with a girl as a gay kid is pretty normal.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:11 PM

40,936 posts, read 49,025,568 times
Quote:
Long story short: at that age we are so unsure and confused about what we are interested in so entering a relationship with a girl as a gay kid is pretty normal.
I have a gay son who's older partner was married early in his life.

As you know, many gay and lesbians were at one time married before they faced who they really are.
Many have kids from those marriages.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:14 PM

936 posts, read 2,064,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I have a gay son who's older partner was married early in his life.

As you know, many gay and lesbians were at one time married before they faced who they really are.
Many have kids from those marriages.
yes an unfortunately people like KaBoom are so short-sighted they automatically come to the conclusion that all these people were straight and suddenly turned gay. KaBoom can't seem to accept that maybe these people were always gay and trying to hide it or deny it to themselves despite all evidence that points to the hardships gay people face in this country and all over the world.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:27 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,294,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
maybe thats why he had bad luck with women,,,he was gay all along..
Bingo...I was patiently waiting for someone to post this.

Thanks!

Old 12-21-2013, 03:04 PM

27,007 posts, read 43,601,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I know a guy who had a series of failed relationships with women, and he's now with a guy. So apparently it does happen. But I think it's rare.
That's called bisexual and it's not all that rare...

Old 12-21-2013, 03:16 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,294,262 times
Quote:
How many times do I/we have to explain that we enter relationships with women when we are young mostly because we are trying to deny our sexuality to OURSELVES. When I was 15 in 1997 I didnt think to myself (as you seem to assume) "hey im gay but im going to date a girl anyway because society is sort of accepting and there is an openly gay guy in my class who gets treated like ****!"

what was really going through my head was "oh **** i might be gay because i find guys hot, but girls are ok too so maybe im not gay? oh well i'll just date girls and see how it works out because it would be terrible to be gay"

I was young and horny, i wanted to have sex with anything and everything and I really wanted to be straight. Trying to analyze 15 year old boys' hormones is more complicated than you seem to think.

And as far as the older gay guys with women, that is mostly a thing of the past except in guys who stay in denial much longer than the rest of us.

I really believe this is as good as a synopsis can get on the matter.

She's like "Ben you've loved girls since before pre-k, trippin' "
Yeah, I guess she had a point, didn't she?
A preconceived idea of what it all meant
For those that liked the same sex
Had the characteristics

MACKLEMORE LYRICS - Same Love

MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS - SAME LOVE feat. MARY LAMBERT (OFFICIAL VIDEO) - YouTube

Old 12-21-2013, 03:19 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,337,043 times
I think men in America are so homophobic and raised that way that they just can't fathom the fact that in some ways they can be curious about homosexual sex. Most men who are honest with themselves will realize that there has been one or two times they felt an odd attraction to another guy. Happened to me in college, never got past third base with a guy because it never felt right in the end, so that's when I knew that it just wasn't for me.

But for other guys, they may end up liking it and being bi or somewhat bi. Some may be happy with certain kinks when making love to their women. So I totally agree you aren't "just straight" or "just homosexual" ... there's a large spectrum of gray in there.

Goes the same way with women too. I know one woman who married for 16 years to a man and had four kids with him. After he started cheating on her and ended up divorcing her, she realized that she was kidding herself in that she was exclusive with men. She started dating women and within a few years found Mrs. Right and now they're happily married for over ten years, and her partner / wife has two kids of her own. She was completely content in both situations or so she says.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:03 PM

52,006 posts, read 52,457,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Yes, I think it does. That may be a valid explanation as to why someone would not come out and openly admit to being gay. But I don't think it explains why they would actually get involved in a romantic relationship with someone they have no interest in or attraction to, unless they are at least exploring. It's not like society dictates that every person must be involved in a relationship, or they are considered to be gay. Even many heterosexuals go well into their late teens before having their first romantic relationship. It's not like a gay teenager couldn't wait until they are ready to come out, to have a relationship.

Anyway, these days most high schools (except maybe in the south, or some rural areas) will have a few openly gay students. It's not like there is going to be enough stigma attached to being gay, to force some kid to have a heterosexual relationship that he is not interested in. Even if he are not ready to come out.
Apparently you don't follow news much, I don't mean this snarky, but the last few yrs there has been a few stories about kids in HS that were so distraught about how to deal with their feelings and being gay and living in situations where they didn't feel safe or comfortable and even some were out and out harassed by others where they committed suicide because of it, I don't have the exact count but have been hearing news stories like I've said, so it isn't as easy for some.

When I heard about young people committing suicide because of it, it really drove home the need to try and not let these kids suffer......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology