Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 05:14 PM

360 posts, read 712,332 times

Advertisements

I've been in the professional working world for almost 10 years now. I've noticed a consistent pattern, no matter where I'm working, what I'm doing, how much I'm making, etc… I always waste away the morning and really don't start doing any work until the afternoon.

Morning are consumed with getting coffee, chatting with co-workers, catching up on Facebook, personal emails, checking City Data, etc…

Once the afternoon roles around I become very motivated and do lots of work. In fact, I even stay late a lot at night because I'm "in the zone" and I'm often one of the last people in the office.

Any ideas why I'm like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 07:56 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
I've been in the professional working world for almost 10 years now. I've noticed a consistent pattern, no matter where I'm working, what I'm doing, how much I'm making, etc… I always waste away the morning and really don't start doing any work until the afternoon.

Morning are consumed with getting coffee, chatting with co-workers, catching up on Facebook, personal emails, checking City Data, etc…

Once the afternoon roles around I become very motivated and do lots of work. In fact, I even stay late a lot at night because I'm "in the zone" and I'm often one of the last people in the office.

Any ideas why I'm like this?
This shows you're still young, a hormone controls this and is active during the day for kids which is why a lot of kids are more sleepy in the day and more active later.

As you age this is supposed to change and you become more active during the day than at night. A reason why old people tend to sleep early and rise early.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:03 AM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times
I think this is just your make-up. Some people are "morning people" and some are not. I am 51 and have always been a "night" person. In the evening is when I start to feel like cleaning, exercising, etc, while I struggle in the mornings. I've had a job that requires I get up early, but despite years of doing this, evening is still my natural "energy" time.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:29 AM

8 posts, read 25,249 times
I agree, I'm 53 and I've always been a night owl. I just can't seem to do mornings! LOL

Old 01-13-2014, 10:59 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I've never been a morning person, and I much more productive in the afternoon and evening. I work 10-6 because I hate getting up early; it's great that I can choose my own hours.
I don't waste time in the mornings, but I'm not at my best. At work, I try to do the mindless stuff in the morning, and save the complicated stuff for the afternoon/evening when my brain is firing on all cylinders.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:08 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I'm a night person and always have been. Mornings are mostly a waste of time for me--I can make coffee, make a few lame phone calls but that's about it. Then, in the afternoon, when everyone else is complaining that they are done, can't do any more, I am flying high, getting things done, being creative, at my best and most efficient.

Could be the adrenal glands--I've been reading about that. Could be that we are just made that way. Could be we need light therapy. Could be circadian rhythms. I Don't know the answer but am always searching. The world is not very accepting of night people.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders...bird-night-owl

Old 01-16-2014, 08:24 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The world is not very accepting of night people.
I know! People equate "gets up late" with "lazy and unproductive." People like me (and it sounds like, you) are very productive, just at different time periods from the majority of people. I chose my hours to be 10-6, and I really get annoyed at those who say or imply that the 7-3 or 8-4 people are the "go getters."

I read some quote somewhere that said the easiest way to get a lot of respect from people is to be an early riser. And it seems so (unfairly) true. Someone talks about how they get up at 5AM every day, and people are in awe. Someone mentions running 2 miles every morning at 6AM before work, and people think they're a super hero. But people who run 2 miles every evening after working all day don't get such a reaction, like that's no big deal.

So people can get up at or before dawn, but never accomplish much, but somehow they are considered more productive, ambitious, efficient, etc, than those of us who get up later and stay up later, and accomplish a lot more.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Everyone is subject to their own natural cycles, that apply to sleeping, and energy for working or exercise. Unfortunately work schedules often conflict with this. It's likely that you would do better in a job working "swing shift" but in most jobs you don't have that option since the business hours are 8-4 or 9-5.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:54 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Yeah, being one of those obnoxiously "chipper" morning people, have always found my most creative and 'energetic' times are first thing in the early AM, when I've often been known to dash out into the backyard still in my bathrobe, with a Skilsaw, hammer or some-such in hand for a 'project' (no doubt to the amusement of my neighbors… if they weren't still in bed)!

Research shows that morning people have shorter circadian rhythms, which means they sleep through their peak hour of sleepiness, so they wake up feeling more refreshed. Of course on the other hand, it's usually 'all downhill' for me much past 6 PM!

Individual Variation and the Genetics of Sleep

Old 01-16-2014, 12:51 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
I'm a sort of the same way. While I am not a night owl by any stretch of the imagination, it takes me a good long time to get out of the sleep fog in the morning.

What's odd is that I prefer to get everything out of the way first thing, but it's more of a struggle to do it first thing, if that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology