U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 10:52 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,864 posts, read 9,920,028 times

Advertisements

Narcissism/NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder) seems to be receiving a lot more attention nowadays, usually due to dealing with the typical more "challenging" behaviors like the characteristic lack of empathy and accountability, hyper-defensiveness, or treating relationships and others impersonally as "things" to be used.

But Aspergers folks (aka, high functioning Autistics), also share many, but not all of the same characteristics, at least as clinically described.

List of Asperger Traits / List of Narcissism Traits

On a personal note, I was married to a clinically diagnosed NPD, and these days following retirement I do some volunteer work with disabled adults, most of whom have been diagnosed with everything from Downes to ADHD, OCD, Schizophrenia and Autism. And not coincidentally, the management, technical, and administrative side of this field often seems to attract a lot of Asperger's folks (and probably more than a few undiagnosed NPD's too…lol)!

But along with more public awareness, there also seems to be a lot of misunderstanding re: the differences between NPD and Asperger's in particular, which are by many estimates, both on the increase. So in your own experience, how do you feel we should understand, and deal with the differences, which most of us probably encounter in one form or another in everyday life?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 11:10 AM

8,070 posts, read 6,520,963 times
Yeah I guess both that element where they are lack interest in others.

What usually amazes me about my narcissist mother is the excessive use of cognitive biases to justify her grandiose image. I don't thing there is a single cognitive bias she hasn't used. I am not so sure she is just fooling other people, I think she also fools herself. It's like she lives in her own little world where she controls every reality and when there is conflicting information she just dismisses it.

It seems to me like both narcissists and people with Aspergers are not interested in (or don't require) getting as much input as other people to create their ideas and their realities.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:12 AM

18,131 posts, read 10,572,604 times
Asperger's is an actual condition and can even be worked with but NP is just a personality type that is distasteful. There is nothing physically or chemically wrong with narcissists, they cannot be cured or changed anymore than sexuality or race can be changed.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:38 AM

^ ^ Good point that Asperger's folks have a much better ability to be "edu-macated" in some of the "social graces" than NPD's, who usually just think they 'know it all' and could give a rip how others feel anyway. Although IMO the difficult part is getting past Asperger's almost painful hyper-defensiveness, and that's after just recognizing which type you're dealing with!

Old 01-11-2014, 12:13 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,032,132 times
This is a side issue, because so far as I know, this isn't addressed by DSM-5 (though I may be incorrect).
Sensory under or over responsiveness (hypersensitivity or hyposensitivity) is a frequent symptom of Asperger's Syndrome, and to my knowledge, is not correlated with NPD.
Sensory stimuli (which most other people find innocuous) being too noisy, too bright, too pungent, too itchy, etc. is often a stressor that folks with Asperger's struggle with and suffer from,
yet it's not the sort of thing that many people (without such reactions) take seriously. So that could be one way to distinguish the diagnoses from each other.

I have Asperger's, and I've asked my treatment team if they think I'm a narcissist-they said that if I'm worrying about being one, then I'm probably not one.
That when I express feeling guilt, embarrassment, and other concerns about my social interaction and how I handled my dealings with someone else,
then that signals to my counselors that I'm not a narcissist (or a bunch of other labels that I would feel carry more stigma & blame).
Sure I'm selfish, I believe everyone is-but we all differ in how much we temper that urge, and how we respond to feedback from our circle of personal relationships.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:43 PM

^ ^ Thanks for posting, and agreed that you don't sound like a narcissist, who usually don't do much "self-reflection" anyway. BTW, I forget about the extra sensitivity to stimuli, which is also probably a good 'clue' re: the differences. And for whatever it's worth, dunno whether you've ever heard of this young fellow, who was initially diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's. Amazing kid, and 60 Minutes does an update on him every few years!

CBS News - Jake: Math prodigy proud of his autism

Old 01-12-2014, 11:55 AM

14,376 posts, read 17,252,175 times
My father is a narcissist. When told he has a problem, his response is "Yeah, I know. But this is the way I am - deal with it." He doesn't care.

A person with Asperger's (like cloven) will learn that they have a problem and want to fix it or address it.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:44 PM

8,070 posts, read 6,520,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
My father is a narcissist. When told he has a problem, his response is "Yeah, I know. But this is the way I am - deal with it." He doesn't care.

A person with Asperger's (like cloven) will learn that they have a problem and want to fix it or address it.
But I wonder does your father know he is not as great as he claims he is or does he think he is great and that he is entitled to feel superior because he is THAT great?

I feel like most narcissists belong to the second group so in my opinion they still lack awareness because they are incapable of picking up the truth from others. Non-narcissists know they are not "that great" because others in society inform them. The narcissists ignore those clues and blame others for their failures.

Maybe narcissism is some type of aspergers disorder, like a subset. Instead of focusing on an specific subject or task they focus on their ego.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:16 PM

14,376 posts, read 17,252,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
But I wonder does your father know he is not as great as he claims he is or does he think he is great and that he is entitled to feel superior because he is THAT great?

I feel like most narcissists belong to the second group so in my opinion they still lack awareness because they are incapable of picking up the truth from others. Non-narcissists know they are not "that great" because others in society inform them. The narcissists ignore those clues and blame others for their failures.

Maybe narcissism is some type of aspergers disorder, like a subset. Instead of focusing on an specific subject or task they focus on their ego.
Truthfully, Pop doesn't care about realities other than his own. The only reason he gives ANY consideration to criticism that comes from me is because he sees me as an extension of himself. He fully believes he is as great as he claims.

The idea of NPD as a variant of Aspberger's is interesting, but while people with Aspberger's can genuinely improve, people with NPD generally do not. They can learn behaviors that make them more functional, but I don't think they ever fully integrate those changes into their actual personality. And I'd say most of the time those changes are made in order for them to get something they want more.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:07 PM

The unfolding neurobiological aspect of this subject is an interesting one, and the human brain itself is constantly evolving. For example the pre-frontal cortex is unique to primates, with the neo-cortex apparently the newest part of the brain, from an evolutionary standpoint. And perhaps 'coincidentally', the neo-cortex is also the location of the ability to experience 'empathy'.

BTW, some research points to a phenomenon called "capturing the mother's eye", which seems to be an essential step in an infant's early brain development, determining whether the capacity for feeling empathy somehow becomes 'hard-wired' (or not).

And there are even some controversial theories suggesting that current conditions like ADHD, Autism, Schizophrenia (and perhaps even NPD/BPD), may just be 'other states of mind' along a whole continuum of human brain evolution.

Is the human brain still evolving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology