Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:19 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
However, people that own guns have no such training. They buy the gun, go to the shooting range and develop a confidence that they can subdue anyone that approaches them with aggression.

Instead of figuring ways to extricate oneself from trouble, the gun owner shoots first.
Do you have facts to back this up? I believe you are wrong, mostly. Most gun owners I know have had pretty intense, continuing education when it comes to their CCLs and are all about avoiding conflict.

There are exceptions, just as there are exceptions in the martial arts arena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 12:31 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
In NC stand your ground means, in your home, in your car, in your workplace. No where does it say movie theater.
I thought shooting a man for texting was a little harsh. A punch to the face should have been enough.
I have no sympathy for texters.
How about this--mind your own business, and if you don't like someone being on a phone, TOUGH COOKIES buddy. I mean it--TOUGH. That you advocate VIOLENCE over something that silly shows that you are, in fact, way too touchy and, frankly, the HELL with what you think.

The man was texting during the PREVIEWS for crying out loud. The PREVIEWS. With everyone getting up to get popcorn & all the late minute people pouring in, who notices a text anyway, unless you're Mr or Ms Naggy Pants. He had the consideration to leave his child with a sitter as opposed to bringing her to the movie where she'd been a nuisance. In doing so he was being considerate of other people.

How many people do you know that, by contrast, bring their child to the movie and do NOTHING when their child acts like a noisy brat & ruins it for everyone else, and then gets furious if you even nicely suggest that maybe they should quiet their child a bit?

No, this man does the responsible thing, and all he wants to do is text the sitter during the PREVIEWS in preparation for the actual event, to make sure all is okay before settling in for the evening.

You can't grant him that? Be reasonable. Texting during the previews bothers you that much? TOUGH, buddy. You're overly sensitive. Get over it already. I dare say it's people like YOU who need to be the ones who stay home if something that silly bothers you that much.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:32 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
One of the commenters on that article stated those who carry guns everywhere secretly hope they will "need" it. I happen to agree.

Governor Perry (TX) went jogging and shot a coyote with his brand new gun because it "looked at him". Who in the world goes jogging with a gun? Who goes to a movie theater with a gun? For what purpose? I have more fear of the paranoid gun toting person than actual criminals with a gun.
I believe you need to do a little fact-checking on your story. Governor Perry shot the coyote because it was a credible threat to his daughter's dog with whom he was jogging.

Texas Gov. Perry fatally shoots coyote

Lots of people go jogging armed, especially in various parts of Texas (and gasp! other states) where it can get a little more wild, as was the hilly, rugged are where he happened to be.

I guess you've never come across a coyote? Around various parts of Texas, coyotes have been known to attack pets and even little children. They're not domesticated--they're wild, and they usually travel in packs. People take them seriously. They are a serious pest, eating chickens, small animals, and more.

People go to a movie theater with a gun because of other idiots with guns who intend to do harm...like this guy, and like the moron in Colorado. Now there's even more reason to be armed wherever I go. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. That's reality.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:30 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
How about this--mind your own business, and if you don't like someone being on a phone, TOUGH COOKIES buddy. I mean it--TOUGH. That you advocate VIOLENCE over something that silly shows that you are, in fact, way too touchy and, frankly, the HELL with what you think.

The man was texting during the PREVIEWS for crying out loud. The PREVIEWS. With everyone getting up to get popcorn & all the late minute people pouring in, who notices a text anyway, unless you're Mr or Ms Naggy Pants. He had the consideration to leave his child with a sitter as opposed to bringing her to the movie where she'd been a nuisance. In doing so he was being considerate of other people.

How many people do you know that, by contrast, bring their child to the movie and do NOTHING when their child acts like a noisy brat & ruins it for everyone else, and then gets furious if you even nicely suggest that maybe they should quiet their child a bit?

No, this man does the responsible thing, and all he wants to do is text the sitter during the PREVIEWS in preparation for the actual event, to make sure all is okay before settling in for the evening.

You can't grant him that? Be reasonable. Texting during the previews bothers you that much? TOUGH, buddy. You're overly sensitive. Get over it already. I dare say it's people like YOU who need to be the ones who stay home if something that silly bothers you that much.

You are exactly the kind of person who get shot. That kind of attitude where you do what you want and expect everyone else to accept it because you deem it incidental, won't fly. Tell your wife and kids now so they won't wonder why when you become a victim. Its just a matter of when with an attitude like this in my opinion.

I know a family who can only afford the movies about 2x a year. For him and his family the previews are all part of the experience and as important as the movie. Why should you be able to ruin it for him? Why should you get to decide that they aren't important simply because they aren't important to you?

Remember, you may be in the right, but if you are dead does it really matter?

This sickens me.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:52 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
You are exactly the kind of person who get shot. That kind of attitude where you do what you want and expect everyone else to accept it because you deem it incidental, won't fly. Tell your wife and kids now so they won't wonder why when you become a victim. Its just a matter of when with an attitude like this in my opinion.
That's right and so very wrong all at the same time. The attitude of the person you're quoting is, indeed, "me, me, me" but noone should be killed just for being a rude asshat. Nor should it even seriously be thought of.

Nor should anyone who carries a gun ever brandish that gun unless they are prepared and have the need to use it. Getting a bag of popcorn thrown at you is not a reason to pull a gun. I mean, even movie theater popcorn can't get stale enough to cause harm unless ingested. Stand your ground can apply to THINKING you're physically threatened, but.. You better have a judge (and jury) agree with it. I can't see how that would happen in this case. Zimmerman was (apparently) being beaten.. Big difference there.

Whoever mentioned pepper spray.. I will ask that you look up John Caparulo and pepper spray on the internet. Should be some YouTubes of that.. Pepper spray would be far more dangerous in my hands than a gun.. because a gun is pretty final.. If you pull a gun, you better be ready to use it and kill someone. You SHOULD have to think about that. Pepper spray is temporary..

"You're talking on your phone in the theater? Tell them I said... pssssst!"

"Hey, you cut me off in traffic.. psssst!"

"You should stop your kid from screaming in the theater. Oh, I should mind my business? Hope you don't mind this.. psssst."

"I said I wanted a Whopper with NO pickles.. psssst!"

"Pardon me, you're in the 10 items or less lane with 11 items.. psssst!"

Old 01-15-2014, 02:17 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

Your post reeks of "ME ME ME." Just because you don't care and you don't mind doesn't mean others feel the same way. And since the previews aren't important (according to you) why couldn't the guy just get up and leave the theater to text? Really, what did people do before cell phones? Oh, wait, they just made sure everything was fine before they left.

I think the moral of the story is that people need to be more considerate and think of others before they act. The problem is, as time goes on, people think less and less of others because they only care about themselves. I don't believe the man should have been shot and killed for his actions, but he was not in the right.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:07 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
The point I am making is this--some people are just too sensitive & prone to throwing a fit over the silliest things, and need to be TOLD they are. If the reactions of this tutti fruitti don't make that obvious, I don't know what does.

It's not about someone supposedly being selfish & not caring about others (in fact, given that the man had hired a babysitter to spare other movie goers from having to hear his brat whine, I'd say he was showing caring for others), it's about how YOU are too touchy, you're looking for a fight, you're making a big deal over nothing, and it's high time someone tell you so and tell you to get over some stuff already.

Really, anymore, people whine & gripe & moan about the stupidest things sometimes, and we're all running around trying not to "offend" these precious snowflakes who are practically LOOKING for a reason to CHOOSE to be offended, and make a mountain out of a molehill--and frankly they need to be told so. Sometimes something is so petty & so silly of a thing for someone to get worked up over that the onus to me is on the one who's supposedly "offended" to knock off the nonsense.

It reminds me of children, really, who whine over the stupidest things. What do we as parents do--or what is it I do, anyway? You clarify the truth to them, but then, if the whining persists, you tell them to knock it off & if they don't, you discipline them for it because they're whining little brats at that point. It sounds like some people haven't grown up, whining about the stupidest things you can drum up.

If someone is yacking on the phone throughout a movie and/or the light is distracting during the MOVIE & for a good while, okay. When it's during the previews for a brief second or two--GET OVER IT. Between all the people that are typically coming & going during the previews, the distraction aspect of a texting operation practically doesn't even rate, between people getting up and returning to their seats 100 times going "excuse me, excuse me, excuse me" with their arms full of soda/popcorn while their knees bump the back of your seats (or your legs) as they squeeze their way back to their spot.

If you notice a texting operation during all of THAT, you are very much LOOKING and CHOOSING to be offended. Your response is YOURS to choose, no one pushed you to it, you CHOSE that path.

Regardless, if you really take up for the 71 year old in anyway regarding this, you're totally beyond the point of mental insanity, frankly.

"What did people do before cell phones?" WHO CARES?? It's the year 2014, not 1814. What we did do before air conditioners, polio vaccinations, armpit deodorants, toothbrushes, sterilized needles, before Civil Rights, before electricity, before indoor plumbing, before online forums, before digital cameras, before DVRs or VCRs etc, or before cars--or heck, what did people do for entertainment before we invented motion picture theaters? WHO CARES?? If it's not affecting you (and to me texting during previews isn't), then it's not any of your business anyway.

The smartphone is a reality for people anymore. Welcome to the 2010's. You don't like it--Moderator cut: inappropriate language who cares? You want to live like Laura Ingalls Wilder or Fred Flinstone that's your business, the rest of us have graduated from the Stone Ages. When we're doing our thing discreetly & quietly with deliberate effort made not to cause a problem, then grow up and lighten up and zip it up and shut up already. YOU are in control of your response & the one responsible for it, no one else.

Last edited by Marka; 01-16-2014 at 05:01 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 03:42 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
I don't think this case will hinge on who was right or wrong up until the victim threw the popcorn. Until that point, it was a silly testosterone fueled verbal altercation which both men could have backed away from.

Its not clear to me whether both men were standing when the shot was fired. We also haven't heard what either was saying or doing other than raised voices and popcorn thrown. It will be interesting to see what both were saying/doing at the moment the popcorn was thrown.

If the shooter was sitting down and the man he shot was threatening and appeared to be coming over the seat, I can see a jury being convinced of a stand your ground defense.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:44 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
In NC stand your ground means, in your home, in your car, in your workplace. No where does it say movie theater.
I thought shooting a man for texting was a little harsh. A punch to the face should have been enough.

You are thinking of the "castle doctrine". Stand your ground is different.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:58 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Quote:
I understand your frustration. Dozens of tiny flash lights going off in a movie theater is irritating and ruins the moment, however, I'd rather throw a rant at the manager, get my ticket refunded and receive a voucher for a free movie with popcorn and a soda thrown in. It makes better sense to me then killing some one and possibly spending the rest of your life in jail, or spending a fortune on a lawyer to get you off. Punching someone in the face no matter how tempting can also land you in front of a judge explaining your actions. That makes for a really expensive night out don't ya think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology