Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 05:10 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
This ^^^. Sadly, for those of us who don't live in fear of guns, and understand that they could occupy a place in society, it is pretty clear that we have collectively lost the right to own hand guns and other weapons (automatic rifles, for instance) for which there is no practical purpose.

We trust our law enforcement people to be balanced, responsible individuals. There is no excuse for texting in a movie theatre, for sure, but pulling out your iron and blasting someone just screams 'no more guns'. If the supposedly best among can't be responsible with a gun, how can 'lesser' individuals be expected to behave?

I am truly shocked that the answer to the vicious shootings we have had in America over the past few months has been more guns, in more unstable hands. Truly, we have demonstrated that the only answer to gun violence is to eliminate guns. Zero tolerance policy. Keep your gun at a range or a club; take out 'x' number of bullets when you check it out to use at the facility. Turn in the unused shells and the used casings along with the gun. People get to use their guns, but guns are out of the public places.

Sadly, that is the price we pay for not being a responsible citizenry. What were/are people thinking?
I'm sorry, but the shooter is/was a nut. The gun didn't make him shoot the couple. Banning guns doesn't eliminate kooks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 05:15 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I believe you need to do a little fact-checking on your story. Governor Perry shot the coyote because it was a credible threat to his daughter's dog with whom he was jogging.

Texas Gov. Perry fatally shoots coyote

Lots of people go jogging armed, especially in various parts of Texas (and gasp! other states) where it can get a little more wild, as was the hilly, rugged are where he happened to be.

I guess you've never come across a coyote? Around various parts of Texas, coyotes have been known to attack pets and even little children. They're not domesticated--they're wild, and they usually travel in packs. People take them seriously. They are a serious pest, eating chickens, small animals, and more.

People go to a movie theater with a gun because of other idiots with guns who intend to do harm...like this guy, and like the moron in Colorado. Now there's even more reason to be armed wherever I go. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. That's reality.
Hey, maybe the coyote was just "standing his ground" (after all it's his 'turf')!

And oh yeah, just what we need, is even more nutters opening fire in a crowded place??!!!!

Old 01-15-2014, 06:29 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Hey, maybe the coyote was just "standing his ground" (after all it's his 'turf')!

And oh yeah, just what we need, is even more nutters opening fire in a crowded place??!!!!
Nice. Thanks! :-/

Old 01-15-2014, 06:33 PM

Don't shoot…. just kidding!!

Old 01-15-2014, 06:34 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
I saw this story too, and while I'm in NO way going to justify the shooting I am going to mention a possible reason behind it.
The movie being shown was "Lone Survivor" based on true events. I did not serve in Afghanistan but was stationed in the UK. That movie is going to shake up a great number of U.S. veterans who may have been there or have family that served during the conflict. Emotions of all kinds might surface, and might cause a person to snap. AGAIN, I'm not making excuses for the shooter, but any amount of disrespect shown could have sparked provocation in the shooters mind.
I might caution people going to see the movie in a crowded theater, because of the feelings or actions others might convey, especially those who might have suffered PTSD.
I watched it at home, and I'm glad I did.
The movie hadn't started yet.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:35 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Don't shoot…. just kidding!!
Don't flatter yourself. Ammunition is too expensive these days. OH, JUST KIDDING! Amirite?

Old 01-15-2014, 06:41 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Your post reeks of "ME ME ME." Just because you don't care and you don't mind doesn't mean others feel the same way. And since the previews aren't important (according to you) why couldn't the guy just get up and leave the theater to text? Really, what did people do before cell phones? Oh, wait, they just made sure everything was fine before they left.

I think the moral of the story is that people need to be more considerate and think of others before they act. The problem is, as time goes on, people think less and less of others because they only care about themselves. I don't believe the man should have been shot and killed for his actions, but he was not in the right.
The moral you seem to derive is that bad manners is reason to kill.

No, the bigger man is the one willing to back down over minor issues, and the man with the gun should be the bigger man.

I know I was when I carried.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Don't flatter yourself. Ammunition is too expensive these days. OH, JUST KIDDING! Amirite?
But isn't this how it all starts, someone with a gun… who gets easily upset?!

Old 01-15-2014, 06:43 PM

1,485 posts, read 954,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I thought shooting a man for texting was a little harsh. A punch to the face should have been enough.
I have no sympathy for texters.
People who think like you is the reason I feel a need to carry a loaded weapon.

Shooting the man was just "a little" harsh? Did you just really post that?

I hope the ex cop gets put away and dies in jail. That poor woman just watched her husband die right before her eyes at the hand of a narcissistic PIG.

He could have changed seats. But no, he wanted to prove to the world what a tough guy he was.

I wouldn't be looking at my phone in a theater. But if you punch someone, you better be darned sure you're ready for the consequences. Maybe the guy you punch will attack you back. Maybe YOU will be the poor sap that gets shot dead. And under those circumstances, I'd say you deserve it.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:17 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,641 times
Actually, there is a lot of misinformation about this event. The victim was shot because he threw something in a dark room(theater) that made contact with the shooter, a person he was already was in a violent argument with regarding his illegal usage of texting the babysitter creating a public disturbance. He had already been asked and refused to stop the phone usage in the theater. The shooter did not know what the substance was or what it was as the room was dark. Of course, either person could have and should have defused the event. So in no way do I support the shooting. I do try to determine what went wrong and how the end result could have been avoided. As we have seen from the national events there is a real risk in the attendance of a public event. We need to be wise in how we conduct ourselves in public in order not to escalate the risk. Be a good citizen. Respect the rights of others. Common sense. I have dealt with some really disturbed people over the years. Focus on calming everyone down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology