Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 05:40 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
@ Tracy,

I disagree - this doesn't describe me either. I am very minimalist when it comes to makeup, I dress in the same manner as any regular girl my age and I am somewhat of a tomboy anyway. In the group I attend, actually only one person out of 8 or 9 even remotely fits your destination. I think you are confusing transgender people with transvestites perhaps? If not, maybe you just encounter a different group of people than I do, because most of us are not flamboyant dressers and in my case, I just want to fade into the background and NOT stand out.

http://www.askthegay.com/2010/10/wha...cross-dresser/
I don't know what % of transvestites are hetero, but I know quite a few are also gay (or bi), but of course being a transvestite or cross-dresser doesn't make you gay (well duh haha). There's a gay bar here and they often have drag shows/competitions, and drag queens are also a fixture at gay pride parade, so it's not accurate to say they don't associate themselves with the LGBTQ community, although those that are strictly hetero are less likely, but even many of them do perform for audiences at ***** venues and events.

I think cross-dressing and transvestitism allows men to also feel sexual and desired, at least by a certain segment (if it isn't a joke), as in this society only women are conditioned to think of themselves as really 'sexy'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 12:38 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I don't know what % of transvestites are hetero, but I know quite a few are also gay (or bi), but of course being a transvestite or cross-dresser doesn't make you gay (well duh haha). There's a gay bar here and they often have drag shows/competitions, and drag queens are also a fixture at gay pride parade, so it's not accurate to say they don't associate themselves with the LGBTQ community, although those that are strictly hetero are less likely, but even many of them do perform for audiences at ***** venues and events.

I think cross-dressing and transvestitism allows men to also feel sexual and desired, at least by a certain segment (if it isn't a joke), as in this society only women are conditioned to think of themselves as really 'sexy'.
I must admit (and this may sound weird to you) I don't really identify with the cross dressing thing. For many of them it seems to be some sort of fetish. Each to their own, but I can't say that's something I can even remotely relate to.

I don't think there's any link at all between crossdressing and homosexuality. These are just men who like dressing as women. I have nothing at all against them and feel they should be free to do whatever makes them happy (as long as they are not exposing themselves), but I get frustrated when transgender people are lumped into the same category.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:20 PM

254 posts, read 318,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I totally believe that there are transgender people (people who strongly feel born into the wrong body and identify as the opposite sex) and I am supportive of people who are living with that, no matter what stage they are at.

But I brought this up in another thread with a person who was biologically male/mentally & emotionally female: why do so many male to female transgendered people go totally overboard with stereotypically feminine stuff? So a biological male is female inside. I get that; I accept that. I even understand if he decides to start to identify as female, and live as a female.

But then, too many people in this group tend to:
--wear excessive makeup
--wear skirts and dresses all the time
--wear high heels all the time
--have elaborately painted/sculpted fingernails
--have elaborate or flamboyant hairdos, instead of just what's generally stylish among women of that age group
And no, I am not talking about cross-dressers/transvestites/"female impersonators". Just transgender people who are biologically male but mentally female.

I understand wanting to appear as a woman, so your outside coordinates with your inside. But why not dress like an ordinary woman, instead of a stereotype of a woman. Ordinary women don't necessarily wear dresses and skirts every day, and we don't wear high heels every day. Plenty of women never wear heels and hardly every wear skirts. I suggested to the guy in the other thread, if you want to change your appearance to that of a woman, why not just wear a sweater and jeans, or a shirt with pants and flats? Look around at the other women around you; how many are all dressed up in heels, dresses, with long sculpted nails? How many are wearing no makeup or very little makeup, and something like pants and a sweater? Most of us, really, dress in a pretty androgynous way. Both sexes wear sweaters, jeans, pants.

I guess what I'm saying is it would probably go much more smoothly if a bio male who needs to appear female just down-played the appearance thing. Get used to looking like an ordinary woman who might blend into a crowd instead of wanting to jump right into a woman who would stand out in a crowd. Wear make-up, but understated makeup. Do your hair in something flattering for your face that seems to fit in with current fashion. But skip the extensions or waist-length curls. Maybe groom or even paint your nails, but skip the acrylic tips and hot pink polish.

Plus, it's the bio males who do the over-the-top thing that end up getting negative attention, teasing, discrimination, bullying, bashing, etc. But for every bio male living as a female and dressing like a super-feminine-stripper-drag-queen, there are probably lots of bio males living as females who are just dressed like the rest of us; they are probably accepted as female and aren't likely to even raise an eyebrow.

My question in the other thread was: is it possible that transgender people, in general, buy into gender stereotypes MORE than the general population does?

I guess in trying to put myself into the other person's place, I think that living as the gender I feel like I am would be much more important than flamboyant fashions and standing out in a crowd. I would think the transition and adjustment process is difficult enough, without doing things to draw extra attention, including negative attention, onto oneself.
This is why I say psychology is almost if not entirely crap. Certainly no real science.

Their "insides" are the sex they were born. Nothing "metaphysical" about being male or female in the hard sciences.

You know why they dress the way they dress (like hookers often even if they're 12 year old boys). One only has to act like an adult and not a child. They dress the way they do because it's all in their head. Why aren't they walking around with plates in their lips or rings around their necks like women of certain primitive tribes in Africa and Asia do?

They see what is "girly" in our culture and identify with it. Not to hard.

I'm male and have ZERO comprehension what it feels like to be "male." Other than what I was taught to feel like and think like and associate as "male" in my society. Fact is I only know what it feels like to be me.

While I voted for Obama and voted for Democrats my whole life but once... I'm hazarding a guess you're a liberal and one of the many that likes to proclaim feminism and the idea that girls are no different than boys, that "girls" feel and want the same thing as boys including all things military. That it was "patriarchy" that indoctrinated girls with "girly thinking and girly feeling."

Why is it I'm not a feminist but don't think there is any thing inherently female or male about an individual other than their biological sex and social constructed gender roles? Eh?

Frankly, I don't need a degree in psychology to date a transsexual, lead a army of men over a hill, or guide my son into a confident champion. A transsexual (male become female) wants to be treated like a girl, and if sexually attracted to men, wants to be f*cked like a girl. They want to be sexually dominated. Put in the doggy style, slapped on the butt, sodomized. Things they (transsexuals) associate with being inherently female.

Just like effeminate gay men like to be emasculated. Bug Duh there. It takes 100 psychologists to turn a light bulb, but only after they get the okay from and told what to think from the LGBT lobbyists and Democrats.

Masculine gay men more often like "twinkish" males, and even if they don't they more often like to "top." Big Duh there too.

When the h*ll are grown people in contemporary America going to grow the h*ll up?

Old 01-30-2014, 06:11 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
I must admit (and this may sound weird to you) I don't really identify with the cross dressing thing. For many of them it seems to be some sort of fetish. Each to their own, but I can't say that's something I can even remotely relate to.

I don't think there's any link at all between crossdressing and homosexuality. These are just men who like dressing as women. I have nothing at all against them and feel they should be free to do whatever makes them happy (as long as they are not exposing themselves), but I get frustrated when transgender people are lumped into the same category.
I would say there definitely IS a link. Just because many or even most men who cross-dress are straight does not mean that many gay men who particularly embrace that whole culture of cross-dressing and transvestisism. I think cross-dressing is a way of these males expressing that desire to feel sexy, which in this society seems mostly reserved for females. Why is it, for instance, that female fashion seems to show off a lot more skin RELATIVE to male fashion? It's the DISCREPANCY which is significant. If both wore loin-clothes, or both wore clothes that covered everything up, it wouldn't mean anything, but the fact you see men with 'shorts' down to their shins and women with 'shorts' that are basically like denim underwear tells you there's definitely something going on here.

Is it any surprise that, despite the soft sexualisation of men (mostly topless as well) you have an increasing number of women express the fact they find women sexier than men?? Our society is becoming turned upside down a bit...

Old 01-30-2014, 06:32 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,794,657 times
Quote:

In regards to cross-dressing, I am not sure if there is a link between cross-dressing and homosexuality, but I would actually not be surprised if there is some sort of link between cross-dressers (who don't do it only for sexual reasons) and transgender people. I know that transgender people have brains which are more similar to the sex which they identify themselves as rather than to their birth sex. I don't know if any studies have been done on this, but I would not be surprised if cross-dressers (again, those who don't do it only for sexual reasons) also had brains which are more feminine than "regular" individuals of this specific sex.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I would say there definitely IS a link. Just because many or even most men who cross-dress are straight does not mean that many gay men who particularly embrace that whole culture of cross-dressing and transvestisism. I think cross-dressing is a way of these males expressing that desire to feel sexy, which in this society seems mostly reserved for females. Why is it, for instance, that female fashion seems to show off a lot more skin RELATIVE to male fashion? It's the DISCREPANCY which is significant. If both wore loin-clothes, or both wore clothes that covered everything up, it wouldn't mean anything, but the fact you see men with 'shorts' down to their shins and women with 'shorts' that are basically like denim underwear tells you there's definitely something going on here.

Is it any surprise that, despite the soft sexualisation of men (mostly topless as well) you have an increasing number of women express the fact they find women sexier than men?? Our society is becoming turned upside down a bit...
Drag races are just for show. Gay men dress like men, albeit more well dressed and groomed than the average alpha male. I don't know if you're aware of this, but a fair number of gays and lesbians want nothing to do with transgender people. My friend (one I met at the group) was basically turfed out by her gay male roommate because he "wasn't comfortable with the girl thing". I didn't believe it until I was told by a gay male friend of mine also.

Gay men are attracted to men. Maybe some do enjoy cross dressing? Who knows. Personally I have never seen it, with the exception of drag events.

Sexuality and gender are two different wires, although there can be a degree of crossover as in my case. That doesn't apply to all though. I was bisexual (or rather pansexual) to begin with.

I agree with you re: male fashion. I never liked it. Men should feel able to wear whatever they want. If you feel the need to wear daisy dukes even, go for it. Why conform? Who doesn't want to feel desired and sexy? I think most of us do, whether we choose to admit it or not. Some men can literally pull it off really well too.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I agree with you re: male fashion. I never liked it. Men should feel able to wear whatever they want. If you feel the need to wear daisy dukes even, go for it. Why conform? Who doesn't want to feel desired and sexy? I think most of us do, whether we choose to admit it or not. Some men can literally pull it off really well too.
I completely agree with you in regards to this, though unfortunately, I wonder what would happen if a male wears a dress/skirt to work.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
In regards to cross-dressing, I am not sure if there is a link between cross-dressing and homosexuality, but I would actually not be surprised if there is some sort of link between cross-dressers (who don't do it only for sexual reasons) and transgender people. I know that transgender people have brains which are more similar to the sex which they identify themselves as rather than to their birth sex. I don't know if any studies have been done on this, but I would not be surprised if cross-dressers (again, those who don't do it only for sexual reasons) also had brains which are more feminine than "regular" individuals of this specific sex.
That may be the case. Perhaps some of them are content with not going through gender reassignment and just living as women part time? Many have female aliases, but as far as going to school, work and among their families, they are men. Perhaps they don't suffer from the same level of gender dysphoria as I did and as most transgender people go through? I would honestly be untreated to hear their side of it, as in those who don't do it as some sort of sexual fetish, which I hate to say I find a bit creepy as I do with any form of sexual fetish. I have not seen it with gay men though and I've known quite a few of them.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
I completely agree with you in regards to this, though unfortunately, I wonder what would happen if a male wears a dress/skirt to work.
Attitudes need to change long term. I believe our generation is more open to such things as previous generations were. Obviously I see no problem in it and it would be hypocritical of me it I did. If you feel more comfortable in female clothing, why not? All I ever tell people is to try to be tasteful about it and to not go overboard.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
That may be the case. Perhaps some of them are content with not going through gender reassignment and just living as women part time? Many have female aliases, but as far as going to school, work and among their families, they are men. Perhaps they don't suffer from the same level of gender dysphoria as I did and as most transgender people go through? I would honestly be untreated to hear their side of it, as in those who don't do it as some sort of sexual fetish, which I hate to say I find a bit creepy as I do with any form of sexual fetish. I have not seen it with gay men though and I've known quite a few of them.
Yes, I think that your analysis and everything which you wrote here is correct.

And Yes, I agree and think that a majority of the males who fit this characterization are straight (or perhaps bisexual).

For the record, honestly, this characterization might describe me (due to my gender-fluidity), except in reverse. Honestly, as I previously mentioned to you and to some other people, the idea of me getting a fully female body sounds pretty appealing to me. I would probably prefer a female body over a male body (of course, I can wait as long as necessary in regards to this), and even being an emasculated (castrated, et cetera) male appears to be more appealing to me than the status quo. That said, I certainly enjoy functioning as a male sometimes (of course, actually being a full male is much less appealing to me), and I don't see why this would change even if I got a sex change. Even if I got a sex change at some point in the future (which is very possible), I would probably still rotate/alternate between functioning as a male and as a female (though I would always have a fully/completely female body).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology