Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 04:39 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times

Advertisements

#DangerousBlackKids A Love Letter From Hood Feminists to Our Children | hoodfeminism

(Also required reading for anyone who doesn't think feminists love men. This is what real feminism looks like.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 05:02 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
As a young black male I'll chime in.

Being considered as a threat just because of what you look like puts you in survival mode 24-7 and having to prove yourself worthy of any respect. You don't trust people. You don't learn how to have a soft and vulnerable heart because in survival mode you have to be a cold-hearted SOB to make it to the next day. You are worried about people judging you because American media says you are a threat only because of what you look like. You worry no matter what you achieve, you will just be a thug to anyone including romantic partners until you prove differently.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:40 PM

254 posts, read 406,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Being considered as a threat just because of what you look like puts you in survival mode 24-7 and having to prove yourself worthy of any respect.
And yet......over on that other thread about pretty people some posters have absolutely no compunction whatsoever about judging people based on their genetics.

(Not directing at you, Dissenter......was just on my mind and this brought it out)

Old 02-17-2014, 09:00 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,288 times
Quote:
As a young black male I'll chime in.

Being considered as a threat just because of what you look like puts you in survival mode 24-7 and having to prove yourself worthy of any respect. You don't trust people. You don't learn how to have a soft and vulnerable heart because in survival mode you have to be a cold-hearted SOB to make it to the next day. You are worried about people judging you because American media says you are a threat only because of what you look like. You worry no matter what you achieve, you will just be a thug to anyone including romantic partners until you prove differently.
Exactly. I worry about my own son(a black male), for these reasons. I suspect that he'll most likely be guarded, and won't be as quick to give his heart away or trust those who have good intentions, I also worry that he'll be judged because of his skin and opportunities, romantic and non-romantic might be limited.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:57 AM

833 posts, read 657,580 times
You may think this is off topic but it isn't; a lot of people in this world look at skin. Their perception of their reality is solely based on what meets the eyes. There is growing body of knowledge coming from science and psychology about something called quantum physics. In layman terms , at the base of all our existence is the consciousness which is what generates matter. In other words, we all share a common consciousness. The simple meaning is what divides us as white black brown or yellow is just skin deep and that we all are part of same spiritual background. This is not to be confused with any religion or religious teachings. Humans are spiritual beings and as such we have no reason to judge another person on physical attributes.

If enough people focus on our common spiritual heritage we will focus less on religions or skin colors that divide us. That will put an end to perceptions against any groups including blacks whites etc. Hope we strive to become more spiritual and then women ,men ,black , white all can peacefully coexist

Old 02-19-2014, 10:51 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesefourwalls View Post
And yet......over on that other thread about pretty people some posters have absolutely no compunction whatsoever about judging people based on their genetics.

(Not directing at you, Dissenter......was just on my mind and this brought it out)
No prob.

One thing I'd like to point out, I've gotten the observation that I and other black males who come from the hood are not people who smile much. When your heart has been hardened by American perception of you, smiling is not something that you will do often.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:27 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
No prob.

One thing I'd like to point out, I've gotten the observation that I and other black males who come from the hood are not people who smile much. When your heart has been hardened by American perception of you, smiling is not something that you will do often.
You have a point there, but it's not just for people hardened by American perception of you, it's for anyone who has been hardened by anyone's perception, hostility, or otherwise ill treatment through their life. It happens to people of both genders and all races. Unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology