Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 12:40 AM

97 posts, read 147,225 times

Advertisements

Do you hate passive aggressive people more than you hate people who are downright violent? At least with the latter, you know where they stand. With the passive aggressive folks, nothing is ever direct - snide comments, sarcasm, indirect attacks, slimy behavior, etc.

So, do you find that more disgusting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 04:42 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Either one is ridiculous. Even violent people are unpredictable, and one never knows what will set them off. At least with passive-aggressive people you know you can avoid them without worrying about getting killed or something.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:49 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,615,191 times
My husband says I can be massive aggressive at times. It only happens because I hate confrontation and arguing. He is a loud person who can be very opinionated and bossy but meaning well. I sometimes get fed up with sitting back and when I know I am 100% correct about something I will get to the point I have to speak up. By then it comes across passive aggressive. I try to temper it but some times it doesn't work. I don't know anyone that doesn't have behavioural quirks. No ones perfect.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:52 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Either one is ridiculous. Even violent people are unpredictable, and one never knows what will set them off. At least with passive-aggressive people you know you can avoid them without worrying about getting killed or something.
^^This. And I avoid those personality types.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:00 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by technev View Post
Do you hate passive aggressive people more than you hate people who are downright violent? At least with the latter, you know where they stand. With the passive aggressive folks, nothing is ever direct - snide comments, sarcasm, indirect attacks, slimy behavior, etc.

So, do you find that more disgusting?
MORE?

No.

Differently?

Yes.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:29 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Passive aggressive bothers me more. It seems more intentional. I rarely see people who are truly violent. If a person is violent, you will know it. Passive aggressive's probably hurt more people in the long run.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:41 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,615,191 times
I don't agree. My father was violent and in his lifetime has hurt ppl mentally and physically. When I have a small passive aggressive outburst with my husband he just mentions that is how I am reacting. I say, sorry then we talk about it and move on.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:50 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Sorry, but passive aggressive behavior ain't simply the 'opposite' of "open aggression" or even outright violence. It's basically just another way of expressing anger, and a not very healthy way at that! In fact "professional victims" often use it to push others "buttons", so they can gain sympathy (and sometimes revenge), while standing back and saying, "see, it wasn't me"?!!

BTW, sometimes I wonder whether more insidious forms of anger and aggression like that, and like 'back-handed compliments' are kinda the "price" we pay for living in a more "civilized" culture, with less opportunities for genuine emotional self-expression?

Old 01-20-2014, 10:22 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
Without going into detail. I was a bit passive-aggressive recently, I guess. Now matter how hard I tried to get my feelings across to someone, she wouldn't listen.

I'm still upset about what I did. If people don't want to believe what you tell them, perhaps they force you to do something drastic. I don't know. Perhaps that is just an excuse on my part.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:20 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Passive aggressive people are cowards. They don't have the courage to stand up and tell you what the problem is, so they pretend their actions are innocent. Which they aren't.

Usually, when you call them out, they pretend to be innocent and unaware. So you rarely appear to win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology