Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 09:10 PM

136 posts, read 176,494 times

Advertisements

Let me tell you about a guy I know. His name is Steve. Steve is a senior in college. He's handsome and has a magnetic personality. He makes friends everywhere he goes. Somehow he just knows the right things to say when he talks to people. He's academically talented and motivated. He spends an average amount of time studying, but since he's a natural at learning and retaining information, and is able to stay extremely focused, he makes his study sessions efficient. He has incredible logical-mathematical ability. He aced all the freshman weed-out courses in Calculus and Physics. He also has a pretty girlfriend, participates in a ton of extracurriculars including the school crew team, works as an intern at a prestigious company in his field of study, and still finds time to hang out and get drunk with his buddies on the weekend.

Truth be told, Steve is a character I just made up, but I know a lot of people similar to Steve in real life. They're people who are just carved out for success in life. It seems they're born that way. I've tried to be like them, but I failed. As a result, I suffer from major feelings of inferiority. It's like my DNA is defective or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 11:42 AM

4 posts, read 9,041 times
This is true , successful persons are born that way . God wants them to live a great life and find happiness . Others are born just to suffer and cry . It is not up to us what we decide to be in life .This is God will that he made for every person . Even if we tried to be better we can't . I feel the same as u said . But how can I argue with God and why he made me like this , while other people are enjoying life ... I am not .

Old 01-25-2014, 08:55 PM

505 posts, read 574,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post
Let me tell you about a guy I know. His name is Steve. Steve is a senior in college. He's handsome and has a magnetic personality. He makes friends everywhere he goes. Somehow he just knows the right things to say when he talks to people. He's academically talented and motivated. He spends an average amount of time studying, but since he's a natural at learning and retaining information, and is able to stay extremely focused, he makes his study sessions efficient. He has incredible logical-mathematical ability. He aced all the freshman weed-out courses in Calculus and Physics. He also has a pretty girlfriend, participates in a ton of extracurriculars including the school crew team, works as an intern at a prestigious company in his field of study, and still finds time to hang out and get drunk with his buddies on the weekend.

Truth be told, Steve is a character I just made up, but I know a lot of people similar to Steve in real life. They're people who are just carved out for success in life. It seems they're born that way. I've tried to be like them, but I failed. As a result, I suffer from major feelings of inferiority. It's like my DNA is defective or something.
Joshua 1:8 (AMP)

[SIZE=3]8 [/SIZE]This Book of the Law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe and do according to all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall deal wisely and have good success.

You can try life on your own or let God help you. Life is a long series of choices.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:17 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Quote:
...I know a lot of people similar to Steve in real life...
Where are these "perfect" people?

I've not seen them anywhere but on TV (fictional characters). Stop watching TV and go out and meet real people in the real world. They are not so perfect.

Note when you see movie stars in person, they do not look so "perfect". That is because when filming they apply all sorts of makeup, just film from certain angles which make the person look best, edit out anything which is not up to par, and use photographic trickery to make a person look better (like placing certain filters over a camera lens).

Anyway in my experience, a person may be exceptionally good at one thing, but is terrible at something else. (Like the saying "Nobody is perfect".) Quite rare someone is good at everything, and if they in fact are, everybody hates them! Try just winning first place at something and see how much everyone else likes you! (They don't!)

Old 01-26-2014, 10:17 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Quote:
Even if that's so, how do you suppose you're helping things by an apparent obsession with negativity, self-pity, and depressing subjects (not to mention, 'gothic' screen names)?

Old 01-26-2014, 12:19 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,329 times
Quote:

We all have different combinations of traits, genes and circumstances which make us into who we are.

The trick is to find your own place. The place where you "fit", where you are "just right".

An airhead for example will not feel inferior if she is valued for her own self, for being a "wall flower" on a hand of a rich guy for example. He could care less if she has brains or not. And if he doesn't care, then she is valued for what she is. She will have no reason to feel inferior if she is in the right place, being treasured for what she is.

A person who has no education but can give you a great hair cut will feel very valuable if they are in the place where people need haircuts and they don't care about how intelligent the person is (thinking wise).

A woman can be successful if she is a great housekeeper (if that's what she is valued for). A woman can be successful if she is a great director (if that's what her surrounding people expect from her and value her for).

Even disabled people can feel successful if they are surrounded by those who love them and don't expect from them more than they can give.

When you feel inferior, you compare yourself from the wrong perspective.

It's like you are comparing apples and oranges and say: these apples are defective because they do not look like oranges.

Success means - find something that you are really good at and be where people need that skill.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:50 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
It has been my experience that beautiful or popular people have a much harder time of it subjectively than they seem to. They may have all the toys and accolades you describe, but they feel they don't deserve it, that it is always in jeopardy, and that at any moment they will be exposed for the frauds that they feel, at a deep level, that they are.

Others are at ease with themselves but living in a bubble created by their good fortune. They come unglued at some point later when they have merely ordinary luck. In truth, they have no actual endurance.

It is, therefore, a fool's errand to compare yourself with others, or to compete with others. Compete with yourself instead. Be your best self. Constantly improve relative to yourself. That is the only comparison you have enough information to make a somewhat accurate comparison about.

Also, strive to remove filters from your thinking. There is much you can find that is positive about your life. You clearly can write / communicate well. You clearly have some decent native intelligence. Doubtless you have some integrity, empathy, compassion, etc. Pay at least as much attention to those things as you have been paying to the specious failure to measure up to the subjective sense that someone else is having an easier time at life than you.

Filtered thinking is often a specialization of all-or-nothing thinking as well. For example: If I can't be like Steve, my life isn't worth living. The truth is, only if you can't be DeathGreetsMeWarm is your life not worth living.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:29 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,566 times
Quote:

Lots of people are like that. I can make up dozens of people I envy, who were or are more successful than I am. However, over the course of life a lot of bad things happen to those people too. Some real examples: they have a kid who is NOT like them, and if you have children then you know nothing is more painful than seeing your child suffer and not being able to help; "Steve" loses his high-level job when he's 50 and through the luck of the draw doesn't get another quickly and ends up unemployed long-term, never able to recover his career (it's harder to find top level jobs than any other kind); he marries a really beautiful woman with expensive tastes who drags him down into debt with her; he hits 35 and suddenly gets fat and really unhealthy and next time you see him you're shocked (and maybe a little gratified); he becomes terminally ill and dies in his 50's. Seen it all happen. Don't worry about "Steve" - he will have his own problems. There are plenty of people who envy your life, but you just don't know them and can't imagine the problems they have.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:42 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,557 times
Quote:

Yep, and later on in life, Steve does some questionable acts with his company and is in trouble, Steve cheats on his wife, he's a drunk, he get's busted and finds himself alone and in a world of ****. You on the other hand was never good at anyone thing, but you always carried yourself in an honest manner, you don't have much but your Integrity and Respect, a very sweet woman falls in love with you for being you and you both raise a family. You go to work everyday without an alarm clock, because your wife of thirty years loves to wake up with you, Your kids are proud of the fact that you work everyday of the week to provide the best you can for your family and they love you very much because of it. Looking back, life to this point has always been a struggle for you but not for Steve, but one day moving forward you'll realize that your the luckiest man on the planet surrounded by friends and loved ones who love you very much.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:51 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
From reading your other thread, I would hypothesize that your drinking problem could be affecting your attitude about whether or not you can be successful in life. Beer goggles don't JUST make bad things look good; they also do the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology