Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 07:39 PM

670 posts, read 815,365 times

Advertisements

So some times I Think much faster than I am able to type.
In fact if I had to guess, I would say I can think the first paragraph of what I am attempting to say before I type it. The reason this is a problem is because some times I will complete the thought and "lose it"(forget it for a moment or permanently) before I have finished typing.

I can better express my self in the typed word because I can more easily keep up with my thoughts when typing but some times I think too fast even for my fingers.
My handwriting is sloppy, and some times when I go to say some thing I will finish the thought before I can express it in Vocalized words leaving me looking stupid and speechless.
I am trying to socialize with people more and stop being anti-social but I have encountered that road block. It is hard for me to express myself Vocally, but I can type just fine.

Can some one please explain to me what is going on and what I might be able to try to slow my thoughts down when I need them to?
They even contribute to my Insomnia because I spend hours trying to stop thinking but my mind will continue to race forever until I pass out from Exhaustion.

My fast pace thinking comes in handy when I need to solve a problem, study, work, or do some thing active but when I am trying to relax they interfere with my relaxation.
What exactly causes my mind to think so fast and so much?

Thank you and may love and peace be with you, Always,
In the name of Asherah the Queen of Heaven, Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 08:10 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Shorthand is an abbreviated symbolic writing method that increases speed and brevity of writing as compared to a normal method of writing a language. The process of writing in shorthand is called stenography, from the Greek stenos (narrow) and graphē or graphie (writing). It has also been called brachygraphy, from Greek brachys (short) and tachygraphy, from Greek tachys (swift, speedy), depending on whether compression or speed of writing is the goal

And this may just solve your concern. Actually, true thinking is much much faster than what you call "paced thinking", it's basically instant, but let's not go that route.
Also, you can train slower thinking. You can train anything.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Shorthand is an abbreviated symbolic writing method that increases speed and brevity of writing as compared to a normal method of writing a language. The process of writing in shorthand is called stenography, from the Greek stenos (narrow) and graphē or graphie (writing). It has also been called brachygraphy, from Greek brachys (short) and tachygraphy, from Greek tachys (swift, speedy), depending on whether compression or speed of writing is the goal

And this may just solve your concern. Actually, true thinking is much much faster than what you call "paced thinking", it's basically instant, but let's not go that route.
Also, you can train slower thinking. You can train anything.
"Paced Thinking?"
Could you provide me a link like a Wikipedia article?
Thank you for your response.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:29 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
I'm not diagnosing you by any means, but your description of racing thoughts and insomnia is consistent with bipolar disorder. Is this something you have ever thought about or been checked for? I'm not suggesting this is the only possibility, but it is one possibility.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:55 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I'm not diagnosing you by any means, but your description of racing thoughts and insomnia is consistent with bipolar disorder. Is this something you have ever thought about or been checked for? I'm not suggesting this is the only possibility, but it is one possibility.
Also...the racing thoughts are a symptom of BP

Old 01-27-2014, 11:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
This may seem like a ridiculous question, but do you drink a lot of caffeine? Do you smoke?

I ask because I have anxiety issues, and when I'm anxious my mind will race. Then, when I try to sleep, I can't shut my mind up and I tend to obsess or over-think a problem, and then can't sleep.

A counselor asked me about my caffeine intake. At the time, I would stop drinking coffee by noon, then would switch to iced green tea. I had one of the diet iced green tea drinks with me (bought them by the case at Costco). It didn't occur to me, which is ridiculous but true, that I was consuming caffeine all day and into the night. I was also smoking like a chimney at the time.

I cut out all caffeine except for one large cup in the morning, and finally quit smoking last year. The difference in my anxiety level was amazing, and my sleep improved so much I quit taking sleeping pills. I now take melatonin, which is a natural sleep aid. My sleeping still isn't perfect, but it's eons better.

So, sometimes the answer is something really simple. Check out your diet, sugar intake, caffeine, nicotine. Even alcohol is supposed to affect your sleep negatively.

Perhaps it's an anxiety issue. Racing thought alone don't make you bipolar.

If you can collect your thoughts well enough to type them out, and the problem is communicating in person, it may just be an anxiety issue.

There are so many things you can do to help anxiety. You should see a doctor. But, I suggest you start by looking at your diet, caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, etc.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
So far as typing and while typing one thought, forgetting about the next thing you were going to say... If there are a lot of things I want to say, I just make one or two word reminder notes below what I am typing. Like...

make notes below typing
paper and pen bed
note pads elsewhere

Then that reminds me what I wanted to say (I delete that after I have typed each thing). I also keep paper and pen next to my bed. If I think of something I need to do, hear a word I want to look up in the dictionary, or whatever, I make a note.

And I keep note pads and a pen other placed around the house - kitchen, by phone, in car, etc. Comes in handy to make notes!

Old 01-28-2014, 06:39 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,381 times
This is not any help, but, thoughts are like the air, you can't hold onto them very long. You just have to train your brain to replay them....It's all there. Trust the process.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:43 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Do the voice thing. As you talk the computer will type for you. My son does this with his texting since he has spelling problems.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Also...the racing thoughts are a symptom of BP

Never been checked for that.
I think my dad has it, never considered that I might. lol

I was diagnosed with ADD/ADHD as a small child, and OCD recently the two of them seem to have an odd conflicting interaction with each other, and it is quite possible I also have BP. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This may seem like a ridiculous question, but do you drink a lot of caffeine? Do you smoke?
No Caffeine, any more.
No Nicotine ever.
No illegal drugs.
I am afraid of taking medications of any kind unless I know what's in it, and all the probably side effects of said drug, and should I weigh the possibility, a side effect of suicide or death being the result of taking a drug, I absolutely refuse to take it.(OCD: Talking..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Do the voice thing. As you talk the computer will type for you. My son does this with his texting since he has spelling problems.
Thank you,
I like this idea allot, I might try it. Singing and Meditating are the only things which calm me down when I panic or get nerveous or when I need to sleep.

Usually they work,
some times no matter how hard I try I can't get my breathing and heart rate to slow,
the rushing blood in turn probably causes my body to rush blood to my brain which triggers the natural effect of racing thoughts, yet I wish I would control or manipulate when this transpires, as of right now my body does things chaotic of it's own accord,
some times I will try to run and my Adrenaline will not pump, not in the least.

No matter how much I eat, my body over-metabolizes the food too fast and I have to eat allot just to stay at 115lb's at 5.5ft. I have trouble building muscle mass and gaining fat, some times I have crazy high energy levels, and some times I feel burnt out and sick, but I take no drugs because I am afraid of most of them and have seen them destroy families,
I have a fear of Medicines.

Until recently my Psychological state was that off a self-denying closet bisexual and gender-fluid person who refused to come to terms with those traits within him/herself.
I have since overcome the desire of holding it in and repressing it, but am not out of the closet all the way, only three people in the offline world know about it. I have no desire to conceal it online however, and this has left me feeling some tear between worlds as if two separate parts of myself exists Waring for total control and though I don't consider myself crazy I am a believer in gods/goddesses and believe that every thing happens for a purpose. Some who disbelieve in theism will at times make personal attacks again Theist, who hold faith and that hurts me on a deep level, I am a non-confrontationalist so I have no desire to create conflict yet I find that the more I speak against injustice the more conflict that is created around me.

I am an Artist and in these states of Mania if you will, I am very creative, but some times my body will slow down to a halt an I won't want to do any thing, I wish I could control the shift and spend most of my time some where at a balance, yet it seems as if my own body is at war with me and my soul.

In the past my heart speed up to the point in which I suffered from some kind of problem and almost died, but luckily I survived some how.
It has also slowed to the point of near stillness before and I fainted, and when they checked for my pulse it was too slow for them to tell I was alive, I do not know what causes those odd shifts, but I have had two near death experiences that left a lasting impact on my life and those happened roughly 5 or 4 years ago, since then I have taken to the habit of meditating, and trying to use willpower to control what my body does as an alternative to medicine because of my fear of medicine is so powerful. Yet some times my will is not enough to bring my own body under my control.

Again I don't know what causes any of that, I talk too quite and too fast so most people can't understand me when I try to tell them what's wrong.

I like who I am, I don't want a drug to change who I am, I only want to be well and live a balanced life a majority of the time.

Thank you,
May love and peace be with you, Always,
In the name of Asherah the Queen of Heaven, I say Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology