Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 10:50 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,682,929 times

Advertisements

What exactly is the norm??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 12:54 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,475,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
What exactly is the norm??
I can see why you'd feel that way!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=16724636

Old 04-08-2015, 10:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,231,082 times
Actually I do have these feelings. When I worked I felt that I put on a persona before beginning my day.

I do have to stamp down my personality, which is dominant. And I have to shut up. I tend to talk too much. I have a critical streak, and I have to work to be positive. I mean, I work at it.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:03 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,309,371 times
My personality is "as-is". I don't adapt it for anyone else.

And I am not concerned with "fitting the norm". If other people do not like me or the way I am, then too bad! (A friend is someone who knows all about you [the truth!] and is still your friend.)

I DO remain silent sometimes - that is along the lines of if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything. If someone presses me to speak up, they I will be truthful - sometimes diplomatic or only mention the positive things so as to not hurt the other person.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:14 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,618,206 times
I tried being normal once, worst 5 minutes of my life!!

Old 04-09-2015, 10:22 AM

5,983 posts, read 4,285,370 times
I don't like that some people go out of their way to be different. "Be yourself" does not mean be weird.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:06 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,222,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I have to censor myself. A LOT!

And I don't always succeed.
Me, too. Every time I'm out in public, I have to stop myself from saying, "Are you KIDDING me?" at least once in response to some absolutely idiotic thing someone else says or does.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:36 AM

687 posts, read 617,996 times
I generally try not to make all the critter noises I tend to make when alone, like squealing when I drop something or clucking when I am surprised. I don't enjoy the stares and concern I get when I slip up on that.

I am amused at what we've deemed my coworker's "perky customer service voice" when she calls clients. It is so different from her normal manner of speech I almost laugh every time.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:41 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,400,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilide View Post
I generally try not to make all the critter noises I tend to make when alone, like squealing when I drop something or clucking when I am surprised. I don't enjoy the stares and concern I get when I slip up on that.

I am amused at what we've deemed my coworker's "perky customer service voice" when she calls clients. It is so different from her normal manner of speech I almost laugh every time.
This reminded me of myself.

One thing I do home alone (I live alone) is make weird noises and talk to myself. I've always done that I never talk to myself in front of anyone except Animals.

I come to realised too that a lot of people don't share the same interests as me. My interests are very ''serious'' like discrimination, Human society, natural environment, psychology and history. Not a lot of people want to talk about environmental destruction, animal cruelty and the psychology of racism.

I do feel odd sometimes but I redeem myself in the fact I love food and TV.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:59 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,475,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
I don't like that some people go out of their way to be different. "Be yourself" does not mean be weird.
Good observation. Unfortunately each new generation now simply mimics some "new, improved" form of "weirdness" (goofy beards & hairstyles, obscure cultural references, various obsessions, etc.) to define themselves, rather than actually just being whatever they wanna be… which was the original intent when the 'beats" and 'counter-culture' rebelled back in the 60's.

BTW, tats seem like the natural extension of all this forced, "in-your-face" narcissism, where "If I'm overweight, 'grooming-challenged', and otherwise feel attractive, then I'll just show my specialness by painting a big "F-you" on my body!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology