U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 05:46 PM

8,794 posts, read 7,367,675 times

Advertisements

I guess this is the best place.

As I occasionally do, I got caught in a dream loop last night. When this happens, I feel like I have dreamt the same segment over and over until I wake and can shake it off.

So, in the dream I was trapped in the Addams house. And Lurch was standing close being menacing. His issue? He really hated his name and preferred to be known as "Chuck." What he needed was for me to access the database to change his name and add a comment making it known that he preferred not to be called Lurch again.

But for some reason I could not find the name of the database, table, or its columns. Each repeated loop of the dream started with him letting me know the problem and me giving up on trying to find the right database object names. Feels like it repeated about twenty times. Then I woke.

I usually have a dream like this once every 10 years or so when there is an unresolved technical problem at work and it will probably repeat once or twice until I solve the problem. I also figure that Lurch probably represents my boss. I am sure I will be happy to have this one over with.

Anyone else have dreams like this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 07:02 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,864 posts, read 9,835,616 times
Houses in a dream usually refer to how we see ourselves… old, new, 'fixed' and immovable like stone or brick, multi-faceted/many rooms, and so forth. That you repeatedly see yourself as being in the Addams family house is interesting. Maybe start with what that means to you?

credit: bmovieblitzkrieg

Old 02-03-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Houses in a dream usually refer to how we see ourselves… old, new, 'fixed' and immovable like stone or brick, multi-faceted/many rooms, and so forth. That you repeatedly see yourself as being in the Addams family house is interesting. Maybe start with what that means to you?

credit: bmovieblitzkrieg
I have no idea where the Addams, Lurch, or the house come from. I have not watched TAF since I was a kid and loved the show.

I own a house, but only live in it about half the time. In fact I am considering closing the house and going to Oregon for a year or so.

I really think the dream has more to do with a work problem on my mind, but hey, I'm not a psychologist.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:26 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,864 posts, read 9,835,616 times
OK, but if you still haven't any better idea after 10 years of repeating and analyzing the same old thang, perhaps that antiquated 'old house' full of gothic 'undeads' is telling you something after all!

Old 02-03-2014, 08:57 PM

726 posts, read 1,159,552 times
I had a dream like this when I was a scheduler for a para-tansit system when Princess Di was in that "accident". I worked all night at getting her into a trip ticket and had it all worked out right but then I'd save the trip and it would pop right out. Over and over I did that until I woke up, and learned she had died....
I wonder what the actors real name was who played Lurch? Maybe it was ChucK....

Old 02-04-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
OK, but if you still haven't any better idea after 10 years of repeating and analyzing the same old thang, perhaps that antiquated 'old house' full of gothic 'undeads' is telling you something after all!
I think you misread my post. I don't have the same dream for ten years. It is just every ten years or so that I have a dream where some series of events repeats. The subject is not repeated.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
I had a dream like this when I was a scheduler for a para-tansit system when Princess Di was in that "accident". I worked all night at getting her into a trip ticket and had it all worked out right but then I'd save the trip and it would pop right out. Over and over I did that until I woke up, and learned she had died....
I wonder what the actors real name was who played Lurch? Maybe it was ChucK....
Actually. He was Ted Cassidy.

Currently I don't know any Charles or Chuck.

But, the Addams family was created by Charles Addams.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:18 AM

8,070 posts, read 6,439,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I think you misread my post. I don't have the same dream for ten years. It is just every ten years or so that I have a dream where some series of events repeats. The subject is not repeated.
I have those never ending loop dreams usually when I am ill. After a painful surgery I spend the whole night trying to find something on a map. I also had dreams where I couldn't use an ATM properly, dial the right telephone number, or find a file on a computer. It happens to some people, it's like you are so ill even your brain cannot function properly.

But yours is quite unusual because dialogue was also being repeated

If you are not ill Is it possible you are stressed out?

Old 02-04-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I have those never ending loop dreams usually when I am ill. After a painful surgery I spend the whole night trying to find something on a map. I also had dreams where I couldn't use an ATM properly, dial the right telephone number, or find a file on a computer. It happens to some people, it's like you are so ill even your brain cannot function properly.

But yours is quite unusual because dialogue was also being repeated

If you are not ill Is it possible you are stressed out?
Yes, stress shows up in unusual places. I thought of this. It is the problem I cannot solve at work. So unless it is freezing, I need to get in a good walk tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology