Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:22 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I used to have low self esteem... and sometimes I slip back into it. And like you, I am not one for the mushy stuff.

What got the ball rolling for me most was one item on that list, #2. Working out and taking care of myself. I would work out and set goals for myself. Swim so far, run so far... get resting heart rate down to X... Swim a mile under so many minutes... etc, etc. And I would work at these goals, chart them, and when I reached them, I felt good about myself. Just a little, but I felt good. And it built up over time. Plus, all the exercise does increase your mood (dopamine). I also started eating better because I wanted better physical performance.

The combined effect was great. I had the mental accomplishments I was tracking... and a good diet and regular exercise improved how I felt physically. I had more energy, felt strong, etc, etc.

Anyway, my long winded point is. don't try to tackle that whole list. Maybe pick one thing (and I picked exercise since you seem to be more of the "thinking" vs. "feeling" type like me and that kind of concrete thing with set goals and scientific backing appeals to thinking people).

Good luck!
This sounds exactly like what my husband did. His self esteem was always low, and when he got laid off in the financial meltdown, he was at rock-bottom. He did eventually get another job, but you could tell he was kind of a defeated man.

When he decided to start dieting and exercising, you could truly see the change in him. Even in his voice and facial expressions. Instead of dragging himself down to the TV in the morning, he sits up and says, "What are we gonna do today? Do you wanna hike?"

It makes a huge difference and frankly, it makes him a more attractive person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 12:02 PM

339 posts, read 379,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
This sounds exactly like what my husband did. His self esteem was always low, and when he got laid off in the financial meltdown, he was at rock-bottom. He did eventually get another job, but you could tell he was kind of a defeated man.

When he decided to start dieting and exercising, you could truly see the change in him. Even in his voice and facial expressions. Instead of dragging himself down to the TV in the morning, he sits up and says, "What are we gonna do today? Do you wanna hike?"

It makes a huge difference and frankly, it makes him a more attractive person.
That's kind of where I'm at, but I'm ok with it. To be honest, this is probably the reason for my now-missing "mojo" that I used to have, as well as my total lack of a sex drive.

Meh...

Old 02-12-2014, 01:00 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Finkle View Post
That's kind of where I'm at, but I'm ok with it. To be honest, this is probably the reason for my now-missing "mojo" that I used to have, as well as my total lack of a sex drive.

Meh...
Oh Ray, you're only 34! My husband was 52 when he made a turnaround. It's never too late. Heck, he was your age when we got married. Do you want to look back when you are in your 50s and know that you gave up at such a young age?

Old 02-12-2014, 01:03 PM

597 posts, read 1,026,666 times
The advice in that article is a bunch of bull. Its impossible for some people to raise their self esteem.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Oh Ray, you're only 34! My husband was 52 when he made a turnaround. It's never too late. Heck, he was your age when we got married. Do you want to look back when you are in your 50s and know that you gave up at such a young age?
Regrets are like a**holes....everbody's got one. The future is something I try my best not to think about, it just causes me discomfort.

What can I say? I'm an old soul, so now seems like the perfect time to pack it in and coast into middle age.

Honestly, the way I live I'll be surprised if I make it very far into my 50's.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:26 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Finkle View Post
Regrets are like a**holes....everbody's got one.
You know, I hear that saying a lot and the first thing I think is, if that's what regrets are like, I only want one or my life is going to awfully __itty!

Old 02-12-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
You know, I hear that saying a lot and the first thing I think is, if that's what regrets are like, I only want one or my life is going to awfully __itty!

If you only have one regret, you're doing pretty well.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:18 PM

943 posts, read 1,004,102 times
But, if you live your life like you only will have one regret it makes a big difference!
Will to meaning, if you GIVE UP, you are announcing to yourself that you aren't worth it, if you really beleive that then you will seem to get lots of things in life that make that seem true...every time you screw up even a little, you'll tell yourself the same old disabling bs.
But, do you really think that anything in your life is really THAT much worse than anyone elses in the worlds'?
Thats why getting out and doing something for someone else is important.
Doing something for someone else who can't do what you can makes you appreciate what you CAN do.
If you can, try volunteering at a veterans hospital...just a suggestion.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:02 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
look thru the windshield of life and create the world in front of you

you cant go forward, looking into the rearview mirror, this is the major mistake most make,,,you are carrying around such a heavy load of baggage ,,you regurgitate and never spit out

you are your own worst anchor

create a tomorrow you want to live and let go of the heavy yesterdays.... the days will be brighter, your steps will be lighter..

Old 02-12-2014, 09:39 PM

543 posts, read 533,982 times
Hard to draw on past successes, when there are none.

And I have to agree with Ray, self given accolades are pretty cheesy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology