Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 03:04 AM

128 posts, read 147,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I don't think it's the common norm to believe in metaphysics. The majority don't know what it means.
Of course it is. Most people these days believe in/endorse fate, I don't since it's silly (IMHO). It's because of this common belief in fate that I can't supposedly get what I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
I had a friend once complaining about people who hoard knowlage. I had to say to him there is no such thing. You can't put knowlage into someones head. Nobody owes it to you to tell you what they know. Each of us must gain it on our own through exploration of our world. Read books ask questions, get out of the house and do things to gain experience. Find people who have the information you want and learn from them, if they will teach you. I don't know what standard knowlage is but that would be the way to get it.
I'd rather develop it or be handed it as all others were. You say there is no hoarded knowledge, lol.. I don't believe that.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
shaka athelstan,

I think we'll need a better understanding of your definition. When you say "standard knowledge", what do you mean?
yes, I ask this question a lot, but then it's something I want/need to develop. It's obvious that there is standard knowledge as in being complex in thought/action. For instance, many say things as a principle and do the opposite, as many say it's good to be grounded/humble and then live a modern Western lifestyle which is the exact opposite of that. Or some will say they are nice to all, and then belittle an ethnic or racial group.

I just want the tools so I can live normally. Is this so bad?

Old 02-16-2014, 08:18 AM

867 posts, read 721,273 times
Societal norms vary enormously. Where do you live now and where did you grow up?

However, it sounds as though you are having a hard time accepting the hypocrisy of others. It is easiest to take this as a character flaw (or deliberate strategy?) of others and just move on to live one's own life as honestly as possible.

If, on the other hand, you want to understand why they do these things, seek out biographies and books on psychology, anthropology, sociology, etc. These won't give you answers for specific individuals you might be wondering about, but they might help you get a grasp on the phenomenon.

(My 2 cents, anyway.)

Old 02-16-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
Societal norms vary enormously. Where do you live now and where did you grow up?

However, it sounds as though you are having a hard time accepting the hypocrisy of others. It is easiest to take this as a character flaw (or deliberate strategy?) of others and just move on to live one's own life as honestly as possible.

If, on the other hand, you want to understand why they do these things, seek out biographies and books on psychology, anthropology, sociology, etc. These won't give you answers for specific individuals you might be wondering about, but they might help you get a grasp on the phenomenon.

(My 2 cents, anyway.)
I know that humans are contrary and flippant. I want it also. If this offends others, so be it, they need to live their own lives. And it's not a character flaw, it's considered the norm.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:01 AM

Also, it's not a character flaw. Double standards in actions and speech are normal and common. It happens on this forum all the time, as people would talk about sex and then they they are chaste, and then talk about being accepting and then say they hate gays or women. As for when I grew up, when I was young my society was a conservative one, and now it's a liberal one (well it has been been for quite a while).

lol... I get the strong impression that I am to be "denied" since many believe in some mystic prescription. I don't lol.. If simply having an opinion makes me bad, so be it.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You've been asking the same question for many years. I think you predate me here! If you haven't acquired your normal knowledge after asking dozens of times in dozens of guises, I don't think it's going to happen for you.
I ask since people don't tell the truth. I don't believe in fatalism, and just want the standard knowledge/life that all others got/received. what's so wrong/offensive about that?

Old 02-18-2014, 05:46 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaka aethelstan View Post
I ask since people don't tell the truth. I don't believe in fatalism, and just want the standard knowledge/life that all others got/received. what's so wrong/offensive about that?
She said nothing at all about it being wrong or offensive. Why do you so often think people here are angry or offended by your posts? I don't think it's the case, but for some reason I get the feeling you enjoy believing it? I think most of the time many of us simply don't understand what you're talking about. I don't think anyone here has any idea what you mean by "standard knowledge", for instance. I assume it's a language differences issue?

Old 02-18-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She said nothing at all about it being wrong or offensive. Why do you so often think people here are angry or offended by your posts? I don't think it's the case, but for some reason I get the feeling you enjoy believing it? I think most of the time many of us simply don't understand what you're talking about. I don't think anyone here has any idea what you mean by "standard knowledge", for instance. I assume it's a language differences issue?
I do enjoy believing it. I genuinely sense because it's others are offended because I'm breaching some fatalistic standpoint or code, which I don't believe in. That's just how many people are in society, but I am not. I don't get how it's wrong for me to believe in what I wish, as you seemingly assert.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:51 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaka aethelstan View Post
I do enjoy believing it. I genuinely sense because it's others are offended because I'm breaching some fatalistic standpoint or code, which I don't believe in. That's just how many people are in society, but I am not. I don't get how it's wrong for me to believe in what I wish, as you seemingly assert.
I suppose a standard belief imposed tangentially creates some obligation, but pancakes.

Sorry, but that's the best I can do. I suspect I have a language issue here, since I can't quite make sense out of what you're asking. I'm not sure we use several terms the same way. So could you do the following:

Define standard knowledge.

Define metaphysics.

Please explain how some people's world view being fatalistic prevents you from having a different world view. Or are you asking how one develops a fatalistic world view, since you believe that's where most people's thoughts on the issue land? Or am I right about the pancakes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology