Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 06:37 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,416,671 times

Advertisements

20 years ago me, my wife and 9 year old son Homesteaded 20 acres in middle of nowhere. We cleared brush, built a Shack, in time fenced it, built more Building, got Electric, Running water all the nice stuff. Had Livestock and Poultry.

For years we never seen anyone back there, over time couple families moved in but the way it was never seen them. Had one neighbor that lived 50 miles away. He would come most 2 weeks a year for Deer season. Every year he would come complain about whatever I was doing on my place saying I was interfering with his Peace and Quiet or Deer hunting, couple times he offered to buy our place and each time I turned him down.

We went through brush fires, ice storms, heavy snows, many times couldn't drive in and out would have to park miles away walk in and out.

After years I decided to build my wife a New House in the holler by the spring, beautiful area but had to clear along the drive for Power Lines which took out several trees which I was going to use for firewood.

Well I spent all Winter clearing these trees. It was rough Winter where we was snowed in for few weeks. Neighbor came that Spring to look over his property, seen I had cut the trees, was mad because I was building a house down there. He asked if I wanted to sell? I shot him a very high price. He said there was no way. I told my wife he would call back. Two weeks later he called back, asking about Surveyors on his place. Finally got around to the real reason of his calling. Asked about me selling again I told him I had shot him a price. He went on about how it was Highway Robbery but he accepted, came with cash in hand.

I had regrets soon as I did it. My wife said it was Gods will and we was getting too old for this way of life. We have moved twice since then. The place we are living in now is in the general area of our old place. We take shortcut two or three times a week to Church going by the turn off to our old place Ok I know there is nothing I can do about it but my Heart Breaks every time and I keep kicking myself for moving. My wife keeps saying it is what God wanted.

I just keep getting the feeling I will never get over this. I keep thinking if I go camping or just hanging out close to the area it will help. I can do this on Government Land. How long does it take?

Where we was going to build the house

The drive that was to be from the house where I cut all the trees

Part of the road going out

brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 06:57 PM

166 posts, read 279,698 times
Well, that was defiantly an interesting story. So, are you guys gonna build a new house anytime soon?

Old 02-20-2014, 07:03 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,416,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criedman101 View Post
Well, that was defiantly an interesting story. So, are you guys gonna build a new house anytime soon?
No we have a nice place close to the old Homestead. Yes my wife is right it worked out for the best but it still don't help me missing the old place and regretting selling it.

brushrunner

Old 02-22-2014, 06:23 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,287,221 times
I'm sorry you feel that way.

There is a house in the very town we live in that we tried to buy, but lost in a bidding war.

It would have been perfect for our family, and I wanted to live in it till I died. I had pictured our stuff in every room, and pictured various holidays and family milestones in it.

But an older couple bought it ... for their 23-year-old daughter and her fiance. They paid cash and had NO contingencies, not even an inspection contingency. I was eaten up with bitterness about this young couple and what the heck they were going to do with 4,000 square feet.

Anyway, my situation is a bit different, but I just wrote it out to say I know a bit about how you feel. Regrets are hard to live with.

I hope you have some peace about where you are now, though.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:57 AM

251 posts, read 342,948 times
neighbor 50 miles away complains about disturbance!?!? I guess no one is ever safe from neighbor disputes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology