Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 12:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Personally, in your own mind, how do you feel about motivational speakers/writers/coaches? Have they helped you, or could they help? Or do you think it is just a lot of BS? Do they help some people and not others, and what is the difference in those people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 12:47 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
All I can think of when someone says "motivational speaker" is that old Chris Farley skit on SNL, "van down by the river."

Old 06-24-2014, 01:52 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
It was almost every year for 30 years my company would hire motivational speakers to come in and try to excite the workers. The company made the speeches mandatory and kept attendance.

I remember them standing up in front of us waving there arms and doing cheer leader type stuff but I can't remember what they said.

I can only remember two. He was a Doctor of engineering and he was there to tell us how to be more efficient by not maintaining the equipment (fix it when it breaks) and not wasting time ironing your shirt in the morning (his shirt looked like it had just come out of the washer and dried while it was wadded up. This guy was a kook.

The second was an efficiency expert that preached color control, such as color all of the same tools one color and use color stick on dots to identify on buttons for lights, machines, etc. I still us his suggestions today, Good man and good ideas.

So I guess it's a toss up, some are a waste of time and some are life changing.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:03 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
It was almost every year for 30 years my company would hire motivational speakers to come in and try to excite the workers. The company made the speeches mandatory and kept attendance.

I remember them standing up in front of us waving there arms and doing cheer leader type stuff but I can't remember what they said.

I can only remember two. He was a Doctor of engineering and he was there to tell us how to be more efficient by not maintaining the equipment (fix it when it breaks) and not wasting time ironing your shirt in the morning (his shirt looked like it had just come out of the washer and dried while it was wadded up. This guy was a kook.

The second was an efficiency expert that preached color control, such as color all of the same tools one color and use color stick on dots to identify on buttons for lights, machines, etc. I still us his suggestions today, Good man and good ideas.

So I guess it's a toss up, some are a waste of time and some are life changing.
I agree with the bolded, and I also think you have to have an open mind, be willing to receive information and have the ability to apply it to your life.

IMO, too many people are quick to dismiss speakers and other people who have their act together, yet continue to spin in circles, oblivious to their role in the chaos that is their own life.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:18 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Personally, in your own mind, how do you feel about motivational speakers/writers/coaches? Have they helped you, or could they help? Or do you think it is just a lot of BS? Do they help some people and not others, and what is the difference in those people?
I think they try to help people fix themselves, when what needs to be fixed is the society in general.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:37 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Frankly, I think most of them are scam artists. I feel the same way about most preachers.

I guess they might be helpful to someone who is less cynical than I am, or who has a lot of self-doubt.

I would be interested in listening to someone who overcame great odds to become successful, but those people are usually too busy working for a living to give motivational speeches.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:12 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
I think some are extraordinarily powerful....
Especially the ones I pay attention to, who overcame so much in their own lives;
Tony Robbins & Dr. Wayne Dyer have always been an inspiration to me....
Coming from so many setbacks & almost insurmountable challenges in my own life-
I was drawn intensely to their positivity.
Maybe that's who it's intended for:
people who look around & have no guidance....
people who came from extreme poverty & disadvantages.
All I can say, is now-
people would never have guessed what I have overcome......
And a lot of that I attribute to me seriously focusing on what Dr. Dyer & Tony Robbins both teach

Anthony Robbins Purpose In Life - YouTube

Old 06-24-2014, 04:59 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
I would say that motivation books can be useful. I have people in my life who say things to encourage me not to give up but they are limited. I can see how a good motivation book can fill in the gaps.

When the reader and author have similar ideas or goals, like not being lazy, but the reader needs them organized in some way or explained differently, that can definitely be helpful.

For example, one author writes to "Just Do It" which may work for some individuals. What worked for me was another author who implied that not listening to intuition can make you lazy. I believe both are telling the same message, just differently.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:08 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,460,587 times
Motivational speakers/writers can absolutely be effective as long as the recipients of his or her message are in the requisite headspace to internalize it. I believe motivation is something someone seeks and that it can't be forced on a person. If a person is receptive, talented motivational speakers/writers can validate that person's feelings and speak to them on his or her own level, making him or her feel compelled to act on whatever it is he or she needs to improve on.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:36 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
On a very superficial level, I feel inspired by them.. on a deeper level, I feel they're just as human as anyone is and it IS their job to put on a show to make us believe they actually practice what they preach.

They say the greatest teachers lead by example. Actions speak louder than words, and rings true, through and through on a person's level of integrity and honor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology