U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 09:30 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,138,536 times

Advertisements

My dad's father hung himself when my dad was 7. My grandfather was 31. My grandmother made my father (7 years old, mind you) go and investigate. My dad then went to a school for fatherless boys. It helps me to understand why my father had the problems that he did.

A girl that was a junior when I was a senior in high school shot herself. The scuttlebutt was that she was in an abusive relationship.

I have a friend that lost her younger brother to suicide. Another friend's husband hung himself in the shed on Labor Day two years ago.

One of my coworkers shot himself in front of his wife. He was 24, and they were newlyweds.

They all touch my life because I know what it's like to feel like life is not worth living. Part of me is just too lazy to commit suicide (I read Final Exit and it seems like too much trouble), part of me is afraid I will screw it up (I read a book on suicide years ago that talked about different methods and how people suffer, not to mention the attempters that survived), and part of me is so stubborn that whatever force is trying to do me in, well, dammit, I'll stay alive just to p*ss them off.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-26-2014, 09:42 PM

5,103 posts, read 7,565,459 times
I had a best friend in 7th and 8th grade. The type that you talk to on the phone every single day, multiple times a day (before internet). We went to different high schools and drifted apart by college.

She killed herself after a break-up in her first or second year of college. She would be in her 40's now. And I can still remember her phone number all these years later. She was a real trouble maker in middle school even though she had a great family, no abuse or anything. Looking back, its clear she was troubled, but I was shocked that she killed herself. I find myself thinking about her from time to time, realizing how much of life I've lived that she will never get to see. I hate thinking that she killed herself over some stupid college guy. She was pretty, smart, funny, and out-going - she really had so much going for her.

In college, one Saturday morning when my housemates and I were all hungover, the phone rang and I answered it. A friend said, "Its Dave." Somehow I knew it was something horrible, even though I didn't know Dave too well - he was a guy who lived in the house with my friend. He had shot himself in the middle of the night and they found him the next morning. He had been drinking and watching The Deer Hunter.

In high school, a really popular guy killed himself with a gun while babysitting some kids. I didn't really know him though.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:46 PM

12,293 posts, read 14,574,915 times
Yes I have. A kid I knew blew his brains out in front of me with a shotgun. Really pissed me off, he had no right to do that. All over some stupid girl too.

Then his parents got to scrape his brains off his bedroom walls.

Suicide is the most selfish cowardly act anyone can do.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:59 PM

33,961 posts, read 37,483,552 times
Last year I saw one of my few FB friends had a status by a family member announcing his death and a funeral notice. I was shocked. I hadn't seen the guy in years and we didn't communicate online but we had been coworkers and had tons of fun together until we both married and drifted off into our own lives. Since he didn't live too far away I went to the services and struck up a conversation with a woman who was weeping in the back of the room by herself. She was his cousin. I asked her what happened and she told me he had committed suicide.

She said he had it all planned out and had bought gifts for people and wrote letters to them, but never let on and was talking about an upcoming trip he was planning. She also said his wife was divorcing him and she clearly thought that was what triggered it but while I was driving home that I remembered that he had volunteered at a suicide hotlines since he was in college and wondered if he suffered from lifelong depression.

I also felt a twinge of guilt because I had been SO CLOSE to contacting him a few months earlier when I needed a Realtor to appraise my house, I even had written up a message but I never sent it. I was too embarrassed over the fact that MY marriage was ending and worried he would think I was needy and pathetic.

If I only knew.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:08 PM

8,010 posts, read 7,393,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Yes I have. A kid I knew blew his brains out in front of me with a shotgun. Really pissed me off, he had no right to do that. All over some stupid girl too.

Then his parents got to scrape his brains off his bedroom walls.

Suicide is the most selfish cowardly act anyone can do.
Actually he did, it was his body and his life. The few things he had control of. What would you have done, strapped him down to a gurney?

Old 02-27-2014, 06:56 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,600,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Actually he did, it was his body and his life. The few things he had control of. What would you have done, strapped him down to a gurney?
In front of the guy though?

Seems a little rude to me. If In were to kill myself I'd try and do it discretely so that it would not inconvenience those close to me.

Yeah, I would have strapped him to a gurney and got him the help he needed if possible.

You might consider looking into getting some help yourself actually. Life is rare.

Even if you were to account for all the possible life sustaining systems in the Universe, the ratio is very small when compared to the expansive size.

There are some cases where I do think assisted suicide is ok, being a young man who is upset over a piece of tail is hardly one of them.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:17 AM

8,010 posts, read 7,393,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
In front of the guy though?

Seems a little rude to me. If In were to kill myself I'd try and do it discretely so that it would not inconvenience those close to me.
This I can actually agree with.

Quote:
Yeah, I would have strapped him to a gurney and got him the help he needed if possible.
This would be unlawful unless you can concretely prove that he would be a danger to others and himself you would be charged with false imprisonment possibly kidnapping.

Quote:
You might consider looking into getting some help yourself actually. Life is rare.
I'm fine actually. I just strongly believe in a person's right to their own body. They're entitled to that much. I also tend to empathize with the suicidal person. I wonder if the kid's parents engaged him after the break up. Maybe that could've saved him.
Quote:
Even if you were to account for all the possible life sustaining systems in the Universe, the ratio is very small when compared to the expansive size.
Many people aren't aware of this but even if they are it may not change their opinion on life.

Quote:
There are some cases where I do think assisted suicide is ok, being a young man who is upset over a piece of tail is hardly one of them.
A couple of things about this, in the relationships forum there's a thread about 30-year old male virgins. If you read it, you can see the mentality that most people have towards men who can fail to have intimate and romantic relationships with women is brutal. This young man got dumped and probably felt like a failure. A lot of young men's identity's surrounds their ability to attract young women. Getting dumped is also a blow to self-esteem. It's not necessarily the dumper's fault but to say it doesn't hurt is callous.

Another thing to consider is that the conventional wisdom for most is for him just to get another GF as if it were that easy. It's not easy for all guys, and perhaps he felt that he wasn't good enough to simply go out there and get another girl.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:53 AM

3,436 posts, read 5,253,738 times
suicides of people I knew quite well at one time or another.
Let me count.........

#1......neighbor I grew up with on farm...age 24..........marital problem
#2......co-worker.................................age 29...........marital problems
#3......brother-in-law...........................age 42...........family problems
#4......former co-worker.......................age 50...........depression
#5......former co-worker.......................age 55...........depression
#6......former co-worker.......................age 60...........depression
#7......cousin.................................... ..age 40...........mental problems
#8.....retired farmer ( friend)...............age 70...........depression
#9.....retired farmer ( friend)................age 75............???????
#10...retired carpenter (friend).............age 67............???????
#11..co-worker..................................age 40............marital problems

#3 and #11 hit me the hardest as I was very close to both of them at the time of their suicide. I honestly doubt there was anything I could have done to have prevented those two ( or any of the other 9 )

# 9 really shocked me as it appeared there was no signs whatsoever.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:20 AM

3,471 posts, read 2,121,521 times
My sister committed suicide a few years ago. She was addicted to painkillers and was taking upwards of 50 pills a day. She lost her house, car, job, and was living with my parents. She got cleaned up for a while but the demon reared its ugly head and she was back on pills. I remember the last time I saw her. I knew she was in bad shape so I stayed with her and begged her to get in rehab. She said she would and I told her I loved her(I never told her that before). After not hearing from her for 5 days I went over there. The apartment manager opened the door and I knew what she did. The smell hit me and I heard her dog barking. That dog stayed on her bed for 4 days following her death. I miss my sister terribly. I still have the dog and he is a constant reminder of the sister I miss. Love you Joan.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:54 AM

2,729 posts, read 2,371,379 times
I know 5 persons, relatives or friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology