U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:56 AM

1,516 posts, read 2,051,143 times

Advertisements

Yes, a very close family member almost 30 years ago. It profoundly touched my husband who thinks about the loss every day. The suicide was carefully planned out over many months with a carefully written note.

My godfather took his life many years ago over financial difficulties. Deeply impacted my father since they were best friends.

Suicide is a terrible, terrible thing and impacts the survivors in terrible ways.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-05-2014, 10:11 AM

198 posts, read 247,245 times
Default Re: Suicide Attempt

Yes, a neighbor commited suicide. She was a lovely lady, divorced, and all her children moved far away to live by their father. So sad. She was lonely and just decided to end it all.

Nobody ever said that life is easy. I would not want to go back in years and do life over again. I'm at a great point in my life...just retired, healthy, and not lonely.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I would recommend anyone considering suicide to get a pet and do some volunteer work. Take your mind off your own problems.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:12 AM

35,103 posts, read 45,931,504 times
Yes it has but it is not something I discuss with anyone.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:51 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,473,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Yes it has but it is not something I discuss with anyone.
Many people do that and its okay but just know that there are others that have been through it. MY own family didn't talk about my brothers death for years because we just didn't know how to for number one. And number two, it was very painful. The bad thing about not communicating when a suicide happens in a family-- is everyone thinks they have done something to make this happen, or assume the responsibility of guilt. My brother had tried twice to end his life actually. The first time was unsuccessful when the second time being successful. Actually, the second time he was brain dead and put on life support. I didn't know about the first attempt until I was older. When this happened I was already out of the house and in a different state. My mother was of complete denial on his first attempt because for number one is was not lethal and appeared child like with a temper tantrum and she just thought whatever problem he was having would get better. That was basically her personality. She took on so much responsibility and you endure it and just so on.

My brother a classic example of Andy Gibb of the Bee Gees. He was young and had met this girl and she dumped him. He thought his life was over forever so he ended it. He woke up on his sixteenth birthday to get ready for school, went by my mothers bedroom to give her the sweetest kiss ( she thought that was weird) went up to his room, on the second story and pulled the trigger. My mother heard the blast and found him with 15 minutes. Upon entering the hospital he was brain dead and a vegetable. I was called but it was too late. I made the trip from Texas to Arkansas to say goodbye to him only to find him very cold and lifeless.

He was so funny and could make anyone laugh. He would have had an excellent life but this was just too big for him. What he didn't know was this was a temporary feeling we all have to experience, but he was head over heals for this girl. Two years later, the hotline was established because more teens were taking their own life that year and this was very uncommon.

Peace to you.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 03-05-2014 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-05-2014, 02:22 PM

10,043 posts, read 17,671,533 times
So....who really cares?

We all go sometime, I've spent 2/3 of my life battling various chronic diseases, so I have little sympathy for those who just decide to toss their own life away.............

Old 03-05-2014, 08:08 PM

5,100 posts, read 7,561,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
In my experience as a Ambulance officer, here in Toronto, suicides fall into a number of groups.
Not to get too off topic but I have to admit, I have always wondered what it would be like to work in an ambulance. Do you drive it? It seems like it would a very interesting job if you have the right personality for that type of work.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:34 PM

8,010 posts, read 7,390,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
So....who really cares?

We all go sometime, I've spent 2/3 of my life battling various chronic diseases, so I have little sympathy for those who just decide to toss their own life away.............
Apparently you do care. Otherwise you wouldn't of clicked on this thread and taken the time to type a response to it.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:49 PM

30,492 posts, read 23,890,876 times
One of my best friends, if not my best friend at the time, killed himself last July. While anyone who knew him knew he had mental health issues, the death was unexpected. He had issues, but there was no indication suicide was imminent. Given that he jumped off a ten foot bridge then drowned and was an Eagle scout (he had a tremendous liquor habit, and called me the day before his death wanting liquor - I only bought beer for him), I fully believe he wanted to die sometimes. If he didn't want to die, he could have easily swum to shore. He drowned in relatively shallow water that both myself and my 58 year old uncle easily swam out of a few days after his death. He was a trim guy who could have easily gotten in..

My guess is that he bought liquor at one of the nearby package stores, swigged a 750, then jumped assuming it was another stunt like some of his other prior "suicide" attempts. Given where he jumped (a 10 foot bridge) and that there was a 75 foot bridge less than a mile away, I don't think he intended death. I think it was another attention stunt and death happened.

I feel for him and his family. I don't respect what he did. It was cowardly, no matter what internal demons he faced. He had a small army of guys that would take care of him and back him up if need be. I still haven't come to terms with it and I doubt I ever will. It is a fact of life I have to accept, and after his death, I've seen many of our mutual friends less and less.

His death was the second reason I moved away from my hometown after the economy. This person held all the other friends together, and without him, there is no "glue" between us anymore. Without his glue, there was no "us" left. I still struggle personally with happened - "could I have done more?" etc. I can't see myself ever not struggling with some of the guilt on a personal level.

I am tied up in my own professional and personal development now this doesn't enter my everyday thought pattern. It Is there, though, and always will be. It's a bit of an anchor, and sometimes I wonder with the "coulda, woulda, shoulda's."

At the end of the day, I've learned that the only person I can look out for and take care of is myself.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:30 AM

1,911 posts, read 2,790,212 times
Suicide is not a cowardly act. Only someone who has walked in those shoes can truly understand what it's like and the level of pain that most people simply cannot even remotely comprehend. When you lose all hope, run out of options and feel like no one is on your side, what is left?

Old 03-06-2014, 08:58 AM

12,285 posts, read 14,565,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Actually he did, it was his body and his life. The few things he had control of. What would you have done, strapped him down to a gurney?
To SAVE HIS LIFE, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.