Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:21 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,059,272 times

Advertisements

And what do you really think boredom is?

Is the statement, 'if you're bored it might be you that's boring' accurate or is it BS?

Just curious on what y'all think. I'll save my thoughts for a little bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 10:38 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,993,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
And what do you really think boredom is?

Is the statement, 'if you're bored it might be you that's boring' accurate or is it BS?

Just curious on what y'all think. I'll save my thoughts for a little bit.
To me, boredom is having nothing interesting to turn my attention to. If I have control over my time (so at nights and on weekends) I am never bored. At work, I am bored often.

I do think the "If you're bored, it might be you that's boring" statement is pretty accurate assuming you're in control of your time. I can't remember the last time I was bored when I was away from work. There are way too many things to do to be bored, at least for me.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:27 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,307,727 times
Well, I'm not one of these people who needs to feel "stimulated" all of the time. I don't mind a little boredom; in fact, the great thing about boredom is the benefit it provides ~ a CHOICE to un-bore myself in any way I choose.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:28 PM

45,438 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Well I don't............ I'm so over this question. Want to do something else?

Old 03-21-2014, 03:16 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
My brain is almost always in motion. Boredom never lasts long - I either start writing stories in my head or start meditating. I can get bored with what I'm doing, but I'll take a break and then go back to it.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:57 PM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
I get in moods where I do feel bored, yet at the same time I don't feel motivated to do anything. I'm not boring in the slightest, though.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:47 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,644,762 times
Why Do We Get Bored?

Why Do We Get Bored? - YouTube

Old 03-21-2014, 11:22 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,605,052 times
Boredom, jmo is exemplified by people who email you 20 times a day or want to know why you aren't answering them on Facebook.

They can't read or find a useful constructive hobby, so they waste time bothering other people. If you are self-actualized in doing your own thing, you will rarely get bored.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:52 AM

7,121 posts, read 5,232,625 times
I don't recall EVER being bored in my life! I always had so many things I wanted to do: studying, researching my latest interest(s), watching TV, reading comic books, sketching, writing (poetry, fiction, non-fiction), doing some sort of craft (especially jewelry making), hand-sewing costumes, listening to music, playing the organ (from about the age of 8 to 22, when I developed Carpal Tunnel Syndrome), and so much more. IF my Net connection is down and even if not, I'm busy reading, practicing handwriting so that I can return to penpalling, sorting through items to sell on ebay and Webstore, and a "zillion" other things.

We found one of my younger sister's diaries from her teens. Nearly every passage was "I'm so bored." "Nothing happened today." "I wish something would happen." My own was more like a journal, with sketches, taped-in clippings, notes about movies I'd seen, interesting facts I'd come across, etc. So, maybe some are prone to boredom and a lack of inspiration, while the rest of us need 48-hour days to get everything done.

It can be awful because, when I try to go to bed, my mental chatter keeps me awake, outlining plans for what I want to do when I get up. Often, I have to give up, get up and do something! I don't know if my ADHD is partly responsible. Ooh! Something shiny! Maybe not...

Old 03-22-2014, 12:12 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,432,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
To me, boredom is having nothing interesting to turn my attention to. If I have control over my time (so at nights and on weekends) I am never bored. At work, I am bored often.
This. I tend to struggle with repetitive tasks. I don't mind repetitive physical tasks, especially outdoors, as much as repetitive "intellectual" tasks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology