U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 11:37 AM

505 posts, read 538,608 times

Advertisements

How many of us have seen a sleeping dog moving it's legs or feet as if running or paddling through water? My dog used to do this and make whimpering, yelping or barking sounds as he slept. It was a common occurrence.
If dogs dream do cats? What about dolphins? Elephants? Fish? Birds?
Is there a level of intelligence or brain size that determines if any animal is able to dream or not?
As human beings we are capable of remembering certain intense dreams (fear, sex, excitement/death etc...). Is there any way to know if animals can remember certain dreams?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 02:02 PM

17,079 posts, read 11,411,315 times
I haven't read any of the science on this so I can only tell you that one of my two dogs does definitely dream as you describe -- the other, maybe 10% as much. The dog that dreams is also far more self-aware and complex in personality. He has anxiety issues (he's a rescue who had some neglect and wrong-headed discipline as a puppy, plus was removed from the litter too soon). The other dog is a typical terrier, much more straightforward and instinctive and self-absorbed. I suspect she sleeps the sleep of the just most nights.

I think it's a mistake to put animals at that much of a remove from humans. Humans are animals and it's to be expected that whatever purpose dreams serve in us, they will serve to an extent in some of the lower life forms as well. I'm sure their dreams are correspondingly simpler, but no less a part of their make-up. Of course one can only indirectly infer dreaming from outward signs such as you describe and from brainwave patterns -- so there is no absolute proof that their experience of dreaming is that similar to ours. We can't jack into a dog brain and see and hear their dream on a monitor, much less experience their subjective reaction to it.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:28 PM

255 posts, read 385,028 times
I think my cats dreams, they twitch a lot in their dreams and sometimes they kind of meow. It would be interesting to know what they dream about though. They don't really do much during the day now since they're old. They basically lay around all day and sleep or eat. When my older cat was a kitten, he would get into such a deep sleep and twitch that he wouldn't notice if you picked him up in his sleep to cuddle him. He notices now though. Also I wonder if he notices that I sleep because when he wants me to wake up to feed him he uses his paw to touch my nose.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:38 PM

417 posts, read 820,015 times
Mine bark and run in their sleep so a definite yes from what I can tell.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:59 AM

2,828 posts, read 4,109,438 times
According to this article, based on research done at MIT, they go through REM sleep and have dreams.

Do dogs and cats really dream? - USATODAY.com

Old 03-03-2014, 06:09 AM

758 posts, read 964,622 times
They certainly do, believe me. But I'm sure their dreams are just as rubbish and stupid like humans' ones.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:55 AM

120 posts, read 199,802 times
I am sure they do. My dog yelp and whimpers in her sleep sometimes. She is a small dog, so I suppose she has nightmares of bid dogs chasing her .

Old 03-03-2014, 09:55 AM

9,238 posts, read 21,720,465 times
I had this bookmarked:

Animals have complex dreams, MIT researcher proves - MIT News Office

MIT research on dreaming rats.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:51 AM

6,818 posts, read 11,100,715 times
I wake up my little doggie when he is dreaming and crying out, just so he knows its only a dream and I am there for him.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:39 PM

726 posts, read 1,157,333 times
All conscious being dream, it is an aspect of same...like breathing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology