Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 06:00 AM

155 posts, read 189,363 times

Advertisements

In September of 2012 I was the victim of a home invasion. I was actually chased out of my home and shot at. I thank god everyday that my children weren't home, as the perpetrators entered through their room, shattering their window. I was home alone. In April of 2013, while working the grave yard shift at my 2nd job, I was held at gun point. Again in May 2013 at the 2nd job was held at gun point again.

I have quit the 2nd job, and moved to the country. I've been seeing a therapist who has diagnosed me with having post traumatic stress disorder. I completely understand, and have no doubts in my mind that I have this. He asked me last week how I deal with it, and how I sleep. My reply was, "I don't."

I wake several times throughout the night to check on the kids, look out the windows, and check all the locks. When my anxiety is high, I write in a notebook to calm myself down.

My children have no acknowledgement of any of the events.

My question is, what can I do to help myself move on from these events? Drugs are not an option. I am afraid of any and all pills, including Tylenol. As my doctor already tried to prescribe me something to help me sleep, and I refused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 06:31 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Overcoming PTSD, or perhaps more accurately--learning to manage PTSD, is not easy and will be a lifelong challenge. That said, it can be done over time It's really too complicated to explain in a single post though and without knowing what your specific symptoms. What suggestions is your therapist offering?

One key is to focus on the present.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:12 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Why are you afraid of pills?

Old 03-07-2014, 07:20 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
EMDR and or EFT.
If you google them you will find out more than what I could explain.

Best wishes.
They really work...I dunno how!! But they do. And fast.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:21 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
Well you are taking the first step toward recovering from this traumatic incident and that is talking about it (telling us about it in your message here). Do talk to people about what happened, that helps. You may be able to find a PTSD support group in your area and go to that. You will hear other people's stories and can discuss what you went through - "misery enjoys company!"

A little story... When I go traveling I see no need to stay in a fancy hotel as you just sleep there. Anyway I found a total DUMP of a hotel in Canada once when traveling there (very sleazy people came out at night in that area). I think it was $30 a night. I did not feel secure with the lock on the door, so I moved a chest of drawers in front of the door - anyone trying to get in would make a racket which would be sure to wake me up! I slept quite well by doing that.

So maybe you could do some simple things too which may you feel more secure when sleeping?

-Move chest of drawers in front of bedroom door?
-Get a dog which would bark at the slightest sound. They don't miss a thing!
-Extra locks on doors and windows.
-Bars on windows.
-Have police/sheriff come and give you suggestions for making your home more secure.
-Install security system - you can get a wireless "panic button" to carry with you at all times.
-Get personal protection things like a taser or pepper spray.
-Take a class on self-defense.

Then another "cure" is time. Slowly over time things will get better.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:39 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Aunt 936 View Post
In September of 2012 I was the victim of a home invasion. I was actually chased out of my home and shot at. I thank god everyday that my children weren't home, as the perpetrators entered through their room, shattering their window. I was home alone. In April of 2013, while working the grave yard shift at my 2nd job, I was held at gun point. Again in May 2013 at the 2nd job was held at gun point again.

I have quit the 2nd job, and moved to the country. I've been seeing a therapist who has diagnosed me with having post traumatic stress disorder. I completely understand, and have no doubts in my mind that I have this. He asked me last week how I deal with it, and how I sleep. My reply was, "I don't."

I wake several times throughout the night to check on the kids, look out the windows, and check all the locks. When my anxiety is high, I write in a notebook to calm myself down.

My children have no acknowledgement of any of the events.

My question is, what can I do to help myself move on from these events? Drugs are not an option. I am afraid of any and all pills, including Tylenol. As my doctor already tried to prescribe me something to help me sleep, and I refused.

Hi Concerned Aunt936,

I know exactly what you're dealing with, PTSD's happens for various reasons, trauma from combat or in you're case crimes against you or yours, not being able to sleep and constantly checking on the safety of loved ones physically and mentally is just a few of the many signs of PTSD's. There is hope, we go through a VET sponsored group therapy that is open to all and not only to just VETS. Having access to group therapy does wonders because dealing with it head on is always good medicine. Watch out for the BAD medicine, booze and drugs, because once this cycle sets in it will be the beginning of a bad spiral. You also need to be active, some form of keeping in shape, a healthy body does the mind good, also watch out for the feeling of fighting back, what we use to call the Superman mode, where you feel there's nothing you can't handle when it comes to dealing with bad guys,

I know Soldiers who "used" to wait for bad guys to make a move on them, just to break their faces on the streets. Also, driving vehicles or motor cycles at a high rate of speed, again, the superman mode, you survived several attacks (You can survive anything) these are also bad signs of bad things to come if you don't come to terms, that you need help. Stay in close contact with you're Doctor, make an appointment to see a therapist twice a month, go to group meetings, I can't stress this enough, it has helped many of us, the first step is knowing that something is wrong and then trying to deal with, which you are so this is very good, I hope this helps out somewhat and I am glad that you see this for what it is and you're in a proactive mode. There are Army websites and others that can also help. I'll pm you.

PS-send me a pm, if you would like to talk more. I am here to help if need be.

Good luck my lady

Knight

Old 03-07-2014, 07:53 AM

155 posts, read 189,363 times
I remember having the talk with my mom as a teenager about drugs. I remember her saying that pills were dangerous and could kill me, taking them and not knowing the reaction my body would have to them could and would be fatal. Tylenol wasn't an issue at first and as time went by it slowly joined the mentally I had been given with others.

I had a dog, he woke me when the home invasion happened. He passed away this past November.

My therapist suggested group therapy. However, I have my doubts. I don't like being around a lot of people. My anxiety goes through the roof and I start freaking out. He also mentioned possibly having an anxiety disorder. I like to have my personal space, otherwise I feel like I can't breathe and my heart starts pounding a million miles a minute. I get clammy and feel overwhelmed. **Even when getting a hug from my SO**

I take everyday as a new day, I try not to live in the past. But it happened and I don't feel safe anymore.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:29 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Aunt 936 View Post
...My therapist suggested group therapy. However, I have my doubts. I don't like being around a lot of people. My anxiety goes through the roof and I start freaking out. He also mentioned possibly having an anxiety disorder. I like to have my personal space, otherwise I feel like I can't breathe and my heart starts pounding a million miles a minute. I get clammy and feel overwhelmed. **Even when getting a hug from my SO**...
There is a thing called a "panic attack". Might want to google that. A panic attack is basically caused by too much stimulation or over-stimulation. So the cure is simple - cut out some stimulation! That is go to a quiet dark room which is a comfortable temperature. Lay down and be still - no noise, no light, no feeling of touch because you are not moving, etc. You are "removing stimulation" and reducing the stimulation "overload".

The opposite would be to place yourself in a middle school room full of screaming running kids! (Over-stimulation big time which would drive anyone nuts! )

Then so far as group therapy set up by a therapist... That can be ANYTHING your little heart desires! You can totally dictate what you do when going. For example you can go to a meeting, just peek in the door at the people, then go home and that is all you do for your first session. And that may be a big step for you.

Then you can choose to skip the next meeting.

Or you could choose to never go again.

Or you could go back WHEN YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE and maybe walk into the meeting, say hi, then leave and that is it for that meeting. (A small step.)

Basically you can take it VERY slowly and make advances a little at a time. And it is OK! It is therapy, so anything can be arranged. Just tell them what you want. Leave when you become uncomfortable. And THAT is the MOST important part! Your being in control and being able to do as you wish...

Old 03-07-2014, 08:43 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Why are you afraid of pills?
WTF???

OP, don't rely on pills.

I am sorry to hear what happened to you. Chances to go through such an event TWICE are very slim. A third time would be even more unlikely. But I totally understand your fear.

I am a woman and live alone in a house in a semi rough area. I was scared to death at first and couldn't sleep at night.

My recommendations:

Get an alarm system. Mine is about $35/month. I am always worried to come home and burglars are already there. I also have remotes, so when I drive into the garage and see something weird, I can just press my remote and the alarm goes off. I also have one laying next to the couch in the evening. I have one remote on my night stand.

Get a little tazer. It cost about $50.

Get a new hobby - shooting. Just to become familiar with guns and get your self esteem up. You don't need to buy one (at least as long as you have kids in the house).

I have a big bottle of pepperspray on my nightstand (I think it was $30, I got it at the gunstore).

I don't know the details, but I think you can wear a little help-remote around your neck. It is mostly for seniors in case they fall, but it might work to call the cops, too.

Get at least one dog. Little dogs can be VERY sufficient. They might not be able to harm an intruder, but these yappy dogs hear and bark at every noise. I think you mentioned you live in the country so I would reccommend a big dog for you. One that can look pretty mean (not a labrador, more like a pit/rottweiler/...) nobody will come near the house. Put up signs that indicate that there is a dog.

If you have a front yard, fence it and have the big dog there. Nobody will want to come too close.

The alarm system and my dog cause me to sleep well at night. It might work for you, too.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:46 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,235 times
I know you don't want to medicate but what about supplements? Magnesium comes to mind. There are threads about the role of magnesium and anxiety in the health section here and tons of information on the web. It is not a cure, but it helps. If you take it just before bedtime, it often helps in falling asleep faster and in getting more restful sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology