Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 06:39 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times

Advertisements

Why do some men here pose questions that are gender-specific when the reality is that they are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 06:42 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Why do some men here pose questions that are gender-specific when the reality is that they are not.
Common sense says women are obviously going to respond to this stimuli more than men. Although, these days men are turning into women.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:44 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Okay, want to hear something funny?

I am not afraid of spiders. I actually let them live in my house figuring they might catch an annoying mosquito of moth (most here are harmless too). House centipedes creep me out a little, but I also leave them alone (since they don't bite and also eat unwanted pest insects). I am not really afraid of mice either... my mom was. She was terrified of the dead ones in the traps when I was a kid (grew up in a rural area and whenever fields were plowed, mice scattered and often got into nearby houses). If dad wasn't home, I cleaned out the traps. She's still afraid of dead mice for some reason. The weirdest one to most people is that I am also a scuba diver and I love sharks and shark dives. They are also mostly harmless if you leave them alone and very beautiful. But that seems to be one of the biggest "fears" nondivers have about diving... sharks.

But you want to talk about "harmless" creatures I am afraid of... Rabbits! I won't go running away screaming, but I also will not hold, touch or pet the little buggers. The reason being, when I was a kid, I was bitten by one--a neighbors pet that I was feeding. I was just putting it's food in it's cage and it hopped over and latched on to my finger and gnawed on it... really gnawed. It wouldn't let go and I swear it was trying to bite though the bone! Took forever to stop the bleeding and my finger hurt a lot for a long time. Had a bit of fear of them ever since. I like to think I have a good reason though.
I DON'T LIKE RABBITS EITHER!!!

One of my girlfriends had a black bunny and this stupid thing would always sit next to my head while I was sleeping. Can you imagine the horror of waking up to one of these things 4-5 inches from your face. Hated the damned thing!

Old 03-11-2014, 07:09 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Some of it is learned, some of instinctive. I deal with it a lot as I work some in snake conservation.

Of course, then there is the myth of the spider bites when people are sleeping that never seems to really die out.
This myth actually happened to me. A bite on my back and a squished brown recluse in my bed upon awakening. Not a good experience!

Old 03-11-2014, 07:13 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Spiders and rats/mice don't scare me - though I would say either are harmless, necessarily. Some of the former can cause serious reactions with their bite and the latter can cause nasty problems if you get bitten.

But I'm scared of small reptiles and amphibians. It's a long story, but basically picture a 4-year-old girl who is very excited to be the first kid in the kiddie pool that day because she and her mother got to the pool extra early that morning. Picture the 4-year-old girl's wild, nearly waist-length curls. Consider that there had been epic storms the night before and all the toads, frogs and salamanders in the area had gotten very confused in their nighttime wanderings and fallen into the kiddie pool. Then picture the 4-year-old girl jumping into the pool without a care in the world and swimming merrily along underwater until she opens her eyes while still submerged and sees the hundreds upon hundreds of drowned amphibians floating in the pool all around her.

I'm terrified of small reptiles and amphibians because of that day. And honestly, after growing up in close proximity to a variety of nonhuman mammalian species (mostly dogs), I don't like bigger amphibians or reptiles all that much either - they are unpredictable by comparison to even wild or nondomesticated mammals. and if you were small enough, they would eat you without a second thought.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:35 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
I got bitten repeatedly by a redback spider (on my abdomen)

That little fkr sent me to the hospital for 2 grueling weeks of suffering, LOL it was the most horrible physical pain I have ever endured. It was so bad, I was asking the doctor to put me into an induced coma

Funny, after all that, Im still not scared of spiders, in fact, I find them intriguing.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:43 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
I DON'T LIKE RABBITS EITHER!!!

One of my girlfriends had a black bunny and this stupid thing would always sit next to my head while I was sleeping. Can you imagine the horror of waking up to one of these things 4-5 inches from your face. Hated the damned thing!
They are evil... all of them! Evil!

Old 03-11-2014, 07:46 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Okay, want to hear something funny?

I am not afraid of spiders. I actually let them live in my house figuring they might catch an annoying mosquito of moth (most here are harmless too). House centipedes creep me out a little, but I also leave them alone (since they don't bite and also eat unwanted pest insects). I am not really afraid of mice either... my mom was. She was terrified of the dead ones in the traps when I was a kid (grew up in a rural area and whenever fields were plowed, mice scattered and often got into nearby houses). If dad wasn't home, I cleaned out the traps. She's still afraid of dead mice for some reason. The weirdest one to most people is that I am also a scuba diver and I love sharks and shark dives. They are also mostly harmless if you leave them alone and very beautiful. But that seems to be one of the biggest "fears" nondivers have about diving... sharks.

But you want to talk about "harmless" creatures I am afraid of... Rabbits! I won't go running away screaming, but I also will not hold, touch or pet the little buggers. The reason being, when I was a kid, I was bitten by one--a neighbors pet that I was feeding. I was just putting it's food in it's cage and it hopped over and latched on to my finger and gnawed on it... really gnawed. It wouldn't let go and I swear it was trying to bite though the bone! Took forever to stop the bleeding and my finger hurt a lot for a long time. Had a bit of fear of them ever since. I like to think I have a good reason though.
It's just a haaarrrrrmless little bunny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCI18qAoKq4

Old 03-11-2014, 07:51 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
It's just a haaarrrrrmless little bunny...

Yeah, that's about how I remember it

Actually, I mostly remember washing my hand in the sink of the bathroom and feeling really sick to my stomach. My finger didn't stop bleeding for a few days. In retrospect, I probably needed to go to the hospital for stitches or something... but I lived (unlike some of those knights ).

Old 03-11-2014, 07:54 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:

But you want to talk about "harmless" creatures I am afraid of... Rabbits! I
won't go running away screaming, but I also will not hold, touch or pet the
little buggers. The reason being, when I was a kid, I was bitten by one--a
neighbors pet that I was feeding. I was just putting it's food in it's cage and
it hopped over and latched on to my finger and gnawed on it... really gnawed. It
wouldn't let go and I swear it was trying to bite though the bone! Took forever
to stop the bleeding and my finger hurt a lot for a long time. Had a bit of fear
of them ever since. I like to think I have a good reason though.
I have raised rabbits in the past. They are not the cute, innocent, little fluffy bunnies they pretend to be. They will bite, scratch, and pee on you. And their screams are bone chilling.

I don't mind spiders as long as they stay out of my hair or I don't swallow them.

I have had pet mice and rats. Rats make excellent pets.

I work in a bug factory, so creepy crawlies don't bother me, except leaches. Don't know why but getting a leach on me kind of freaks me out. Snakes, not a fan. I'm not one of those people that feels the need to pick everyone of them up but I will if I have to.

I'm not sure its a gender thing, tho it does seem women have a more developed ick factor. It could be more of a learned behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology