Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 05:02 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times

Advertisements

We only have one dangerous spider where I live. Yet when any harmless spider, or other harmless creature, shows itself I have had romantic interests behave like world war 3 is breaking out.

I actually find it rather amusing, funny rather than anything problematic. I'm sure there are women on here who behave the same and can help me understand it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 05:04 AM

395 posts, read 546,433 times
I'm not afraid of them, I just quietly lift up my shoe and end their lives.

No need for drama.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:29 AM

706 posts, read 1,205,525 times
My ex is terrified of spiders. He's a guy and would scream like a girl. I had to kill them. Even these little white house spiders. It was really sad. It annoyed me beyond belief!! It wasn't funny or cute after 10 years.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:37 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
I work on a team of 6 women 23-35 years of age.

I capture/kill any and all insects that appear in our office (we are on the ground level near woods). So no, not all women are this way. Some (like me) have to do the disposing.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:37 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
This may be more of a psychology forum thread than a Relationship forum thread.

There is a theory (controversial) that the human fear of spiders is an evolutionary instinct because some spiders do pose a threat.

Beyond that, they tend to look creepy, and I think a lot of human reaction to things like spiders may be a little bit learned too.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:47 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
This may be more of a psychology forum thread than a Relationship forum thread.

There is a theory (controversial) that the human fear of spiders is an evolutionary instinct because some spiders do pose a threat.

Beyond that, they tend to look creepy, and I think a lot of human reaction to things like spiders may be a little bit learned too.
I wasn't refering to just spiders. My experience with the OP refers to all of the following :

moths, non-venomous snakes (ok I can understand this one more), secators, slaters.

Interestingly, the same reaction isn't given to flies.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:56 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,045,240 times
I hate all spiders and bugs, kill them all with fire!

Old 03-11-2014, 06:00 AM

639 posts, read 678,879 times
Most fear of mice and spiders is a taught fear. Their mothers scream when they see one so they scream. The more a mother carries on the more fear there is. Boys have less fear because they have been given the job of defending women and girls. So even those that have that fear overcome it so they are considered manly. Therefore we know women can also overcome the fear if they are only given adequate motivation. And the knowledge that spiders and mice are not harmful. Wanting to get rid of spiders and mice from our houses because they carry disease or leave cobwebs is different than this screaming fear.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:02 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Some of it is learned, some of instinctive. I deal with it a lot as I work some in snake conservation.

Of course, then there is the myth of the spider bites when people are sleeping that never seems to really die out.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:24 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
Okay, want to hear something funny?

I am not afraid of spiders. I actually let them live in my house figuring they might catch an annoying mosquito of moth (most here are harmless too). House centipedes creep me out a little, but I also leave them alone (since they don't bite and also eat unwanted pest insects). I am not really afraid of mice either... my mom was. She was terrified of the dead ones in the traps when I was a kid (grew up in a rural area and whenever fields were plowed, mice scattered and often got into nearby houses). If dad wasn't home, I cleaned out the traps. She's still afraid of dead mice for some reason. The weirdest one to most people is that I am also a scuba diver and I love sharks and shark dives. They are also mostly harmless if you leave them alone and very beautiful. But that seems to be one of the biggest "fears" nondivers have about diving... sharks.

But you want to talk about "harmless" creatures I am afraid of... Rabbits! I won't go running away screaming, but I also will not hold, touch or pet the little buggers. The reason being, when I was a kid, I was bitten by one--a neighbors pet that I was feeding. I was just putting it's food in it's cage and it hopped over and latched on to my finger and gnawed on it... really gnawed. It wouldn't let go and I swear it was trying to bite though the bone! Took forever to stop the bleeding and my finger hurt a lot for a long time. Had a bit of fear of them ever since. I like to think I have a good reason though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology