Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 08:59 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

I don't really want to be dismissive, because I'm sure premature balding does suck, but at the same time, it's just hair. You're not Samson, it doesn't hold all of your power. Lots of younger men go bald, and it doesn't mean that they're unattractive or worthless. Like anything else, you play up your strengths and get on with it.

Maybe it would help you to volunteer in a children's' cancer ward or at a veterans' hospital. These are people who really have devastating physical issues, and it might put things in perspective for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 09:00 AM

260 posts, read 605,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
The psychological impact will be that you will learn things like appearance are not important so far as REAL friends go. You may lose some friends both male and female, but you will quickly realize they were never real friends to begin with!

There will be some people who remain your friends no matter if you are bald, have zits or whatever. And you are lucky to learn this at an early age. A good lesson on who you should spend your time with.
I never said I was worried about friends.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:21 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
I never said I was worried about friends.
Well perhaps you are worried about what the person in the mirror will think?

For that counseling might be a good idea...

Old 03-15-2014, 09:38 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,500,846 times
Can you switch your perspective around? The truth is, everyone has something crummy to deal with. Some people have weird looking faces. Others have bad teeth. Others have hair loss or premature graying. Some struggle with weight. Some have health problems. Some have debilitating emotional issues.

The difference between living a happy life and feeling burdened for its entirety by a chip on the shoulder is often about attitude. You will not be able to change some things. But you can focus on the more important things, which is a trait attractive to everyone that will draw others to you. Good luck.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
Can you switch your perspective around? The truth is, everyone has something crummy to deal with. Some people have weird looking faces.
Rarely is a person's face naturally weird enough that they can't, with enough time and effort, bring themself to be at least a 6/10, provided they have hair so they can experiment with different hairstyles.

Quote:
Others have bad teeth.
Easily fixable.

Quote:
Others have hair loss or premature graying.
Premature graying is fixable.

Quote:
Some struggle with weight.
And that's fixable, too.

Quote:
Some have health problems. Some have debilitating emotional issues.
Understood, but this thread is about the psychology of poor looks when you can't do anything in your power to change them.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:40 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,939,331 times
Actually in some ways you can change them by changing your outlook on them. Nothing SCREAMS insecure more than when someone is trying to cover up an imperfection. This MAKES a person less attractive. It's not the balding that is making them less attractive.

Personally I prefer men with no hair. It doesn't matter if it is a completely natural bald head or someone that just shaves his whole head.

What I really don't like is someone trying to cover up what they may feel is an imperfection because quite frankly we all have them. The key is to accept your imperfections. Therefore I would suggest maybe shaving your head really close and EMBRACE your new look! The sooner you do this the sooner you will be on a path to self acceptance which truly is the most attractive thing :-)

I know it might be hard initially but I think you will be much happier in the long run.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Nothing SCREAMS insecure more than when someone is trying to cover up an imperfection.
Then everyone who has ever had braces is insecure.

What? Don't like how your teeth naturally look? Going to spend thousands on plastic surgery to make your mouth look better? How insecure!

Old 03-15-2014, 10:54 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
To the OP. Bald is BEAUTIFUL....I'm there and know it.

True story here. My dad was bald and when my folks came over for a visit one night my mother asked my wife if she saw anything different about my dad. Wife replied that there was something but was not sure what it was. Mom said ...look at his hair. Dad had a toupee on and the wife and I never noticed it.

Goes to show that we look at a persons eyes/face some times and never see any change.

I started a receding hairline at 16 and today have two sons that are bald.

Like I said Bald is BEAUTIFUL.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:57 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
What do you want us to say to you then? That your receding hairline is just as devastating as losing a limb in Afghanistan? That it's right up there with becoming scarred in a car accident or from cancer or surgery? That balding is just the worst possible thing that can ever happen to a human being? Honestly, if losing your hair is the worst that's happened to you, you live a very fortunate life.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:16 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
OP, do you believe that other young men your age who are going bald feel and act the same as you? Rarely leaving the house and having suicidal fantasies?

If not, what makes you different from them?

My ex was going bald at 19 when I met him, and it never bothered either of us one bit. He is also not tall and has a very round face--friends used to tease him and call him "that round-headed kid." He didn't care, he just laughed and gave it back to them. I fell in love with him almost at first sight because of his personality and attitude. Today he is an attractive, middle aged man with a a great career and a lovely young wife.

What makes him a different man than you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology