Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 03:43 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times

Advertisements

The people who do this are too lazy to return the carts to the grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 06:08 PM

166 posts, read 278,244 times
Probably just don't care enough about the neighborhood they live in to bother to take them back. It's probably a bad habit they picked up from their parents because they never really cared enough to pick up after themselves in public.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Well here its street people
They are the disenfranchised they want u to take care of them like you do the lawn but you won't bek street people won't help themselves so why should u? I don't like to say homeless that sounds like a victim who has tried but failed
But other posters here say its the kids u know the future street people

Old 03-17-2014, 06:39 PM

367 posts, read 697,110 times
In Kentucky I have noticed a Walmart that post a sign up in the parking lot stating.....carts will go no further than this area. Somehow the wheels lock up.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:44 PM

166 posts, read 241,026 times
Hmmmmmm!

Old 03-21-2014, 11:18 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
In NY suburbs it was mostly elderly who didn't have cars (stores were a few blocks) or maybe couldn't drive due to medical reasons.

What should we do arrest all the elderly?. How is this a psychology thread anyway. More like a chat/rant.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:32 PM

774 posts, read 906,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I am talking about people who abandon shopping carts in neighborhoods.

DISCLAIMERS: I am not talking about truly homeless people who carry their lives around in these carts.

We live in a nice neighborhood. Not Beverly Hills, but nice. All SFHs. I've started seeing about 1-2 carts a week just left to sit on the street.

If someone uses them to cart groceries back home...no offense...they ain't living in my 'hood. Why wouldn't they leave them at their own place? Do they bring groceries halfway home and then dump the cart? If they need a cart...there are so many non-stealing options they could use, for just a few bucks.Are they not used for groceries?

I can't think of another explanation, I'm really stumped.
Take a car service.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:49 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
There's a service I call and they pick up any cart within 24 hours.

SFH=single family home.

All of what you mention could be true. But if true...why don't these people leave the cart where THEY live? Not my house, not someone else's house. I mean I cannot think of a reason whay they wouldn't do that if their cart use was for a reason you suggested. Especially in a neighborhood like mine.
They took the cart all the way home to empty it. Didn't really want to take the cart back, but didn't want the cart to remain in their yard because it would look bad - physically and socially. So, they took it part way back and maybe they got tired of it or figured it was far enough away that no one would think it was them, so they just abandoned it. Your yard just happened to be the lucky stopping point. The bottom line, they leave them there because they don't have a moral compass that operates at 100%. Simply because you are a decent person, who tries to think of how your actions impact others, doesn't mean everyone else operates that way. There are plenty of selfish, egotistical people in this world, even in nice neighborhoods, whose only concern is what they want or how something impacts them.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:47 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Gee, there is a long, maybe the longest thread on this very thing
already here...I laugh at how long it is, it's a phenomenon!
Here it is, the infamous shopping cart thread, in case there might be crossover in how people would answer:
//www.city-data.com/forum/psych...-they-can.html

Old 03-25-2014, 08:58 AM

20,762 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmc66 View Post
In Kentucky I have noticed a Walmart that post a sign up in the parking lot stating.....carts will go no further than this area. Somehow the wheels lock up.
Same here in CA. I live in a very hispanic area and they just abandon the carts everywhere in the neighborhood as well.

So some stores got smart and their carts lock if you go past the grocery store area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology