Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:21 AM

579 posts, read 757,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I can if I nap... napping is very discouraged where we work but it's actually proven in some countries like Japan to work wonders.

I can get by on 5 hours of sleep per day... any more than 8 and I'm more tired for whatever reason.

Life is short... too short. I can sleep when I'm dead.

I work all nights and generally sleep from 6:45 AM to whenever, typically 11AM to 2PM... but I will nap at work on breaks from time to time.
Yes. In Japanese meetings it's normal for person to dose off and partner take notes/fill them in later. But we are talking very disciplined people here not napping because they stayed up late doing entertainment.

OP, I question the balance in your life. Working 40 hours but only taking 1 course? Is it not possible (rent wise?) to do 30 hours & 3 courses? Would you be able to take out a loan so you aren't needing to work so much? It's all about balance or eventually you will burn yourself out.

I also finished school later than my friends and for better/worse I didn't have much of a choice socially whether to party or not. Because eventually they weren't available, because of work/partners/families. The video games ended along with my Pot smoking.

Do whatever career path you want. The only concern is don't pick one that pays well/has stature just because you are trying to not "be a failure" or to make up for lost time. Because ultimately the next 30+ years will be just you and these decisions. None of those people to keep you motivated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 01:09 PM

6,602 posts, read 4,811,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
A friend functioned on 3-4 hours of sleep a night, starting in his 20's or so. He had a heart attack when he was 40. Of course he had a bad diet, was overweight, and was a workaholic but the lack of sleep did not help. The cardiologist told him to try and get at least 6 hours of sleep a night. Even if he could not sleep, just lay in bed and relax. Sleep or rest was important for heart health.
Sometimes my heart feels a little weird when I'm badly sleep-deprived. (I've had many exams of my heart before. It's structurally sound.)

Sleep deprivation can slow metabolism and lower eating inhibitions.

I try to nap most days, to compensate slightly for not getting 7 hours at night.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:17 PM

1,880 posts, read 1,817,129 times
I an insomnia problems, try to get good 7 hours of sleep but i can't.. Toss and turn in bed a lot..

But a sidenote, i guess quality of sleep also matters alot, a good 5 hours of quality sleep could be more effective than a 6 hour of light sleep.. '

My personal opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology