Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 05:57 PM

10 posts, read 6,802 times

Advertisements

Some curious questions about happiness........Would you consider yourself a happy person? Have you always been a happy person or have you learned to be happy(It seems to me that some people are just naturally happy while others have to work at it)? If you aren't a naturally happy person what do you do to be happy? What brings you happiness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 08:02 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
In the scientific world, cold is the absence of heat. Get rid of the heat and you are left with cold!

Same with life's problems and happiness. Get rid of, or deal with, problems and their associated stress, then you are left with happiness!

That is what I do... Take care of problems which crop up or arrange my life in a way which will not place problems on my shoulders.

For example living within my financial means. I don't go out and buy something I can't afford - then I also don't have any worries about that, since I never placed myself in that position...

Old 03-18-2014, 08:57 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,641,272 times
What is there to be happy about ?

If I am happy now, I won’t be able to change the results in my life that I decided to change or improve. If I am happy, then I lose my drive to achieve my goal.
Also if I start to get content I will never get out of this dead end job

It just feels more comfortable to strive for one day reaching happiness than to actually be there.
I want to progress further in life and feel like letting myself feel happy now, despite still not having achieved all your goals, is the equivalent of giving up. I just cannot seem to relax and enjoy life like most people. What I mean by that is why I should be having fun when I have nothing to show for it.

The desire to feel like I am not a loser drives me. I don't know if that's the healthiest thing—to be motivated by a fear of hating yourself, but it helps.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:11 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris1080 View Post
Some curious questions about happiness........Would you consider yourself a happy person? Have you always been a happy person or have you learned to be happy(It seems to me that some people are just naturally happy while others have to work at it)? If you aren't a naturally happy person what do you do to be happy? What brings you happiness?
no, no

drugs and drugs

that was easy

Old 03-19-2014, 09:57 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
I wouldn't say I'm happy or sad. I'd say more like content or at peace with my life.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:14 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Yea I am happy with life. I find I have purpose and meaning. This despite my life less than perfect.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:18 PM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
I'm a relatively happy person but I should be happier. I have achieved all of my life goals to date, Ive had some really good relationships and I'm very healthy and pretty fit, My happy meter is only on about 50% of the time, ok about 40% and sad, bummed or other about 10%.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:06 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,133,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris1080 View Post
Natural happiness occurs in people with the right balance of chemicals.

To create happiness you have to either figure out which foods to eat to create the right balance of chemicals or do things that bring you happiness, including finding someone who you love and who loves you. (which is not always possible, so it's not always possible to make sad people happy).

From what I know, people could be happy when they feel loved. Other things are like bonuses: good house, good car, good job... So when you feel loved, that's 1. Then when you have a car, add 0 to 1. So it will be 10 of happiness. Add 0 for the house. So it's 100 of happiness. Add 0 for the job. So now it's 1000 of happiness. So all those things are zeroes all by themselves without the love. But with love, they just increase your happiness.

Love would make me happy. Love plus things would make me really happy.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:10 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Happiness is work; it's not something that just happens. I'm independent and not beholden to anyone. I have a lot of friends and relatives I am close to. I pursue hobbies that interest me. I own my own home. These things all please me.

I also recognize that life is full of trade-offs and it's never perfect. My job is very stressful, but I tolerate it because it makes so many of the other things that add to my happiness possible. Sometimes there are setbacks - I accept them, deal with what is within my control and shrug off the rest. I try to treat people how I would want to be treated - I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror, ya know? And gratitude - I try to remind myself of all the things I have in my life that I'm grateful for.

Overall, I'm at peace with who I am and pleased with the life I've built for myself. But I'm not going to be complacent about it.

Look, I worked really hard in grade school. That enabled me to go to an Ivy League school, where I also worked really hard. I made some practical choices when it came to developing a career, and while I will never be rich, I've achieved a stable life for myself. That's all I've really ever wanted.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:24 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
I think happiness comes when you stop thinking about yourself and focus externally on things or other people. I love baking and I give away baked goods and when people tell me they loved how it tastes or I see them enjoying my food it makes me happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology