Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 10:25 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times

Advertisements

I went to a bar for the first time in a long time (had a soda pop as I don't drink).

Anyway there were not too many people there (early). A couple of them were actually talking while a couple of others had their faces buried in the cell phones.

So WHY does someone go to a bar [a social place] to not talk to anyone and text on their cell phone????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 06:41 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Seriously, why can I and many other people in the nation spend hours on the internet, divulging our secrets and intimate fears with total disregard, and step away from our laptops and not be able to have a coherent face-to-face conversation with anyone without feeling quite out of place?
No one should feel out of place using the internet to communicate with each others. This is what it is designed for, the same for telegraph and land-line telephone back then. I bet some of them felt similar and asked the same question too.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
No one should feel out of place using the internet to communicate with each others. This is what it is designed for, the same for telegraph and land-line telephone back then. I bet some of them felt similar and asked the same question too.
But if people have the choice of using voice or texting, I don't understand why they would choose texting? (Like with a cell phone where either is an option.)

The things is, with voice you get a LOT more information via the person's tone of voice and so forth. In person you also get body language.

For example...

Text: "I'm Mad!"

Voice: You could say that in a way that communicates you are joking, that you are slightly mad, more mad, or vary mad. Tone of voice and loudness.

In person: You could also throw your arms up in the air while saying that, go stomping out the door after saying that, or just stand there and act calm.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:28 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
But if people have the choice of using voice or texting, I don't understand why they would choose texting? (Like with a cell phone where either is an option.)

The things is, with voice you get a LOT more information via the person's tone of voice and so forth. In person you also get body language.

For example...

Text: "I'm Mad!"

Voice: You could say that in a way that communicates you are joking, that you are slightly mad, more mad, or vary mad. Tone of voice and loudness.

In person: You could also throw your arms up in the air while saying that, go stomping out the door after saying that, or just stand there and act calm.
I think people use texting at times when a call would be inappropriate (example a library)
or if they just want to convey a thought without a long drawn out conversation. Also some people will go into all their personal drama every chance they get and sending them something they need to know via text pretty much eliminates having to endure 45 minutes of what their ex from 7 years ago (who they are COMPLETELY over ) did last night.

I didn't see the point of texting until I actually started using it...now, no way would I not want to have that opition!

Old 03-31-2014, 09:35 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I went to a bar for the first time in a long time (had a soda pop as I don't drink).

Anyway there were not too many people there (early). A couple of them were actually talking while a couple of others had their faces buried in the cell phones.

So WHY does someone go to a bar [a social place] to not talk to anyone and text on their cell phone????
Maybe they were just letting people meeting up with them know they had arrived or were seeing who was coming out vrs busy.
Maybe they didn't notice anyone interesting at the bar yet or were actively trying to avoid a conversation with someone there.

Who knows...not anyone elses business really.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
...some people will go into all their personal drama every chance they get and sending them something they need to know via text pretty much eliminates having to endure 45 minutes of what their ex from 7 years ago (who they are COMPLETELY over ) did last night...
Well I know a married couple who text each other even at home. These people do not talk! They also don't talk to their kids. 4 people in the house, 4 separate rooms, and 4 separate TV's.

If I want all of them to know something, I have to tell each of them separately.

Then I helped one kid and his mom with a school project. A week later I asked the dad if the kid got a good grade on his project - he said he had no idea!

Etc. Basically they don't communicate with each other.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:09 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
[quote=Billy_J;34104843]I went to a bar for the first time in a long time (had a soda pop as I don't drink).

So WHY does someone go to a bar [a social place] to not talk to anyone and text on their cell phone????[/quote]

some people are waiting for somebody.

some people have a business meeting nearby, are early and kill time.

some people want to socialize but are too shy to start a conversation.

some people want to socialize but don't see anybody else who seems interested. So to not look like a loser, they bury their head in their phone and act busy.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:12 PM

I think they would meet more people if they left the cell phone at home!

Might also learn that some people they are avoiding can be quite interesting to talk with. They don't have to go home with them, but still fun to chat with.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:50 AM

670 posts, read 1,044,019 times
Probably because people on the internet are more objective about you. Also (and this is not always good), it is easier to give people feedback when it is not face to face. That is why there are so many inflammatory comments on the internet. People say things to others that they would not say face to face. That way, they get out their aggressions that they are holding in at work or maybe with the family.

I always thought that people should use the internet as a place where people can learn to think before they write and learn how to give constructive criticism diplomatically...also where they can learn proper grammar (but that isn't happening since texting became a big hit).

Old 04-02-2014, 09:31 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
Probably because people on the internet are more objective about you. Also (and this is not always good), it is easier to give people feedback when it is not face to face. That is why there are so many inflammatory comments on the internet. People say things to others that they would not say face to face. That way, they get out their aggressions that they are holding in at work or maybe with the family.

I always thought that people should use the internet as a place where people can learn to think before they write and learn how to give constructive criticism diplomatically...also where they can learn proper grammar (but that isn't happening since texting became a big hit).
I agree. Some people misuse the internet by trolling and flaming. I'm assuming, though, that most of the trolls and flamers are people who do not have a problem communicating in real life; otherwise, they would probably act more civil on the internet if they thought it was one of their only means of connecting with others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology