Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 02:07 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
This problem is getting worse.

The first weekend of May we went to a wedding and my girlfriend puked uncontrollably the night before.

Last weekend, we went to a food/drink festival with a group of friends. The GF got so drunk and left our group. It took us an hour to find her again. The next morning she told me she lost her sandals and $100 sunglasses.

Last night, she was at a work function. I was heading to bed around 10:30pm, when I got a text from her boss telling me I had to pick her up 30 min away because she was too drunk to drive. I had to carry her inside the apartment and she passed out on the living room floor until 3am.

This is really getting old. I want to be a good boyfriend and supportive. At the same time, I'm sick of picking up the pieces every time she drinks too much.

Please keep in mind, "run away!" or "leave!" is not a simple option. We live together. We have the same group of friends. We have the same life. It's not as simple as, "end it and move on."
Have you expressed to her that you can't stay in the relationship if she continues down this path? If so, what does she say or do? Does she talk about quitting? She does not sound like the type of gal who will be able to have a beer or two and be ok. She sounds like the type of gal who can't stop drinking once she starts. What does she think about trying to get sober?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 02:10 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:

The first weekend of May we went to a wedding and my girlfriend puked uncontrollably the night before.

Last weekend, we went to a food/drink festival with a group of friends. The GF got so drunk and left our group. It took us an hour to find her again. The next morning she told me she lost her sandals and $100 sunglasses.

Last night, she was at a work function. I was heading to bed around 10:30pm, when I got a text from her boss telling me I had to pick her up 30 min away because she was too drunk to drive. I had to carry her inside the apartment and she passed out on the living room floor until 3am.

This is really getting old. I want to be a good boyfriend and supportive. At the same time, I'm sick of picking up the pieces every time she drinks too much.

Please keep in mind, "run away!" or "leave!" is not a simple option. We live together. We have the same group of friends. We have the same life. It's not as simple as, "end it and move on."
actually, it is that simple.

I lived for 8 years with an on and off junkie. We lived together, we had the same friends, dog together, I was involved with his family, etc. etc.

He acted like he couldn't live without me, didn't go to work if I didn't drive him, he didn't eat properly if I didn't cook, etc. etc. it was like babysitting an adult.

I found tons of excuses to not leave him and stay.

When I finally moved out, surprise, surprise, he survived without me.

And so will your gf.

it's time for you to be a little selfish and think of you, your future and your well being.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
You already know about her
Now you need to learn about you
Why are you with an alcoholic?

Old 05-29-2014, 02:17 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
Are you planning on marriage, if you are, plan on a life of continual suffering.

Here's where the rubber meets the road, do you have the smarts to make the right decision and get rid of her or are you the ***** in the relationship. You decide!

I have had GF that had drug problems. It took me a month to see it and one day to leave it.

BTW, if my boss had to call my wife to come pick me up because I was drunk, I could be confident that I no longer had a job.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:20 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Tell her she stops drinking and starts going to AA or you're done. Then leave if she doesn't.

She's not going to change otherwise.
I agree

Old 05-29-2014, 02:23 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
I feel like she is bringing me down with her.
The only way she will get better is if she changes for herself. You can't make her do it. The only thing you can do is get out before she destroys your life too.

My name is ConvexTech and I am an alcoholic.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:27 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I agree
First rule of thump with addicts (alcohol or drugs). They don't quit tell they decide to quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All she will do is hide it from you. You can not tell her to quit and go to AA. It never works. I have been with to many to fool myself thinking they will stop because I want them to.

Even addicts that decide to quit, relapse way to many times. It usually ends badly at a young age.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:40 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:

Do whatever you want to do, but please don't act like you don't have a choice. You can continue to clean up puke, look for her when she wanders off and drive her from drunken function to drunction function. You can also support the both of you when she loses her job, buy her a new car when she wrecks the one she has and comfort her when she kills someone in a drunk driving accident.

Or, you can leave.

Whatever you do, use birth control. The last thing you need is a baby right now.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:59 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
We didn't say it would be simple. Bottom line is, if you're sick of it, you have to leave for YOUR sake. Because she is not going to get better with you enabling her. And that is exactly what you are doing.

You say she has a good job. So move out and get your own place. She can take care of herself. If she can't, it's not your problem. Don't let her browbeat you into staying out of guilt.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
You mean it hasn't effected her job yet. She young and by her 40's is likely to start feeling effects on l;iver even at that level. If she is lucky her doctor will see it on bollod test of liver and tell her to either stop or expect to die.Known a lot who waiedt too long and friend just had close friend die at 50 from damage to liver. He worked all his life steadly until three months ago while only drinking beer. Sad ;but people die everyday from damage .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology