Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 04:40 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
I'm one of "those" people who drives a BMW. I'm on my fourth one now and at first it was the allure of the badge but after driving one they really are great cars so I've become a BMW loyalist. With that said there is a stigma to driving one. People assume you're loaded. However if people paid attention to sticker prices as much as they do badging they'd see that the behemouth Ford F150 or Dodge Ram or Chevy Silverado can cost every bit as much. Jeep Grand Cherokee sells for a higher price than my 320i but no one bats an eye when someone gets one. Pull up next to one in the parking lot and the same person who sneers at my BMW pays no attention to the Jeep even though it costs more. I don't think BMW or Mercedes are premium cars unless you get up into their higher end models such as the 750 or the S model . Now those babies are pricey!
Pretty much this.

I drive a BMW myself - a 2002 325i, which I bought off my sister for a whopping $8000 about four months ago. My '05 Honda Accord died beyond what I was willing to repair, so my sister lent me her old Bimmer (which she was planning to sell soon) while I figured out my next move. I car-shopped for over a month, looking mostly at 2-4 year-old sedans and hatchbacks like the Mazda3, VW Passat & Golf, Hyundais, Kias, etc - all of which would have cost over $15K for one in decent shape. In the meantime I fell in love with driving the BMW, so decided to spend less money and buy that instead.

Sometimes I'll get people trying to race or challenge me on the freeway, usually in some tin can like a Prius or Honda Civic... trying to prove something but always fail, LOL. Other than that nobody seems to pay it much attention, as around here a BMW or Benz (especially the lower-end models like mine) is extremely commonplace. In the one side of my apartment's parking lot alone, I think we have between 6-8 of them. Plus the town where I work is extremely affluent, in fact I was driving next to a friggin' Lamborghini as I left work today. Now THAT turns heads! So I don't think many people judge me for it, although I do get the "oh, faaancy" reaction sometimes when a colleague or acquaintance first sees it.

I really couldn't care less, though, as I've never worried much about impressing anyone. Growing up where I did (a very wealthy neighborhood), I learned that money isn't everything - actually, it can cause more problems than it's worth sometimes. So yeah, I just drive it because it was offered at the right time for the right price! And in terms of cars specifically, you really are getting what you pay for most times. I dare you to drive both a Civic and a BMW for one month, then convince us there's no reason the latter costs more.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-28-2014 at 04:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 11:15 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
BMW is very popular in the SF Bay Area

Last I checked there are 5 Bay Area BMW dealers here and at the same time 2 in all of Washington State and I think 1 at the time in Oregon...

If you drive a BMW the Bay Area is a great place to have one and they can be quite reasonable used.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:33 AM

356 posts, read 1,269,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Many people want to have a fancy car or a big fancy house. So if you get a fancy car or big fancy house, how do you think other people will react to that?

How will other people treat you when they see you driving around in a fancy car?

The answer is they hate you! (Because you have something they can't have. )

So if that is the case, then why do people want to be hated by other people???
why would i care about what someone else thinks. Should I not get the house I dream of because i dont want someone to hate me?
that illogical. I am not getting the house to be love or liked by others.. i am getting it for ME and my kids to be happy.

and I dont hate people who have nice cars and homes, they inspire me.. if they can do it I can do it. But I am going to do it without getting into any credit card debt! and on MY OWN! go me!

Old 04-29-2014, 09:35 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
So they can watch Wolf Of Wall Street and see everything in the background and go "OMG I HAVE THAT TOO!!!"

Old 04-29-2014, 12:09 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
I'm not materialistic, so I don't understand it. Give me a cabin by a lake in the mountains, and I'm good for life.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:06 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,000 times
I'm a strange consumer in that I buy what I want however I do have quite a bit of cheapskate in me as well. I grew up very poor and even though we have money, my early upbringing made me very frugal---frugal to a fault I think. I really would love to replace my 9 year old car which is looking dinged up. But with only 40k miles on it, I'm having a hard time justifying a new purchase, especially since it is just used for errands and running around mostly. My hubby has a 10 year old very low mileage car he drives to the train each day. Then again, I will splurge on purchases that I really want but that is usually after a long consideration period. For the longest time, I wanted a Rolex watch. After a few years of pondering such an expensive purchase, I indulged myself. My watch is now 20 years old and I wear the thing everyday. I love it and will probably pass it down to my daughter. If I was in love with a particular car, I would buy it--- for me though, not to impress anyone else. My dream car is a Subaru Forester, lol although the Lexus SUVs look nice. Still waiting for them to work on the gas mileage a bit more!

I do have a handful of acquaintances that "have" to have the latest and greatest, living paycheck to paycheck paying for cars, expensive houses, trips, etc. One person I know--who works very, very hard and has a terrible quality of life due to her long commute and work hours--is paying off her husband's Ferrari habit. It is the 4th one he has owned and the car costs a small mortgage. They live on the edge.

My hubby and I have never been into the keeping up with the Jone's mentality. If we want something, we buy it for ourselves and not because it is the in thing to have. Many years ago we put in a beautiful backyard and pool. Great area for the family and we got years of enjoyment out of our backyard. Our neighbors, feeling the pressure, put in one as well even though the father was unemployed. The wife told me that they felt they needed to keep up with what everyone else was doing.

But who am I to judge? If one can afford it and not bust their bank account, buy what you want. Just don't look down on me driving my well worn Toyota or if I'm not dressed in the latest trendy fashions. I also think it is dangerous to judge one's economic status from their material acquisitions. You never know who the quiet millionaires are. They may be the ones happily driving that 12 year old car......

Old 05-01-2014, 07:18 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,689,589 times
Ego. I don't want anything big or grand. I live a minimalist lifestyle. I couldn't care less what others think about what I own or have. It means nothing. Less stuff, less stuff to worry about, maintain, can save money better, and most of all, you're not taking it with you when you die anyway.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:16 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
You know what I've noticed over the years, as proven by many posts on this thread? Oftentimes (might even say most times), the snottiest and most judgmental folks are the ones WITHOUT fancy stuff and/or money. Just look at the responses here... people throwing around judgments like "they just want to be noticed, have big egos, etc," all while boasting about how they're non-materialistic and "care about more important things." On the other hand, those of us who do have a high-end car/house/whatever are like "meh, to each their own - I just like what I like." Interesting dichotomy, huh?

Old 05-21-2014, 03:57 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Many people want to have a fancy car or a big fancy house. So if you get a fancy car or big fancy house, how do you think other people will react to that?

How will other people treat you when they see you driving around in a fancy car?

The answer is they hate you! (Because you have something they can't have. )

So if that is the case, then why do people want to be hated by other people???

For a clue, here is someone's thinking about this I found on the internet... ["I got jealous when I see people driving luxurious cars like BMW, Mercedes Benz. I feel totally worthless and feel bad about myself because they have better car than me. What can I do to gain self-esteem?"]

Above from...
I got jealous when I see people driving luxurious cars like BMW, Mercedes Benz. I feel totally worthless and feel bad about myself because they have better car than me. What can I do to gain self-esteem? | Answerbag

Something else interesting is that you can buy a used Rolls Royce for around $10,000 - much LESS than many "average" cars on the road! Yet someone driving a $20,000 "average" looking car will "road rage" the $10,000 Rolls Royce car!

Rolls Royce - Used Cars for Sale - Carsforsale.com
I don't outright shun luxury but I won't buy it unless it comes with practical value that can't be had with a cheaper substitute.

I drive a $2000 car but I find it acceptable (and enjoyable) to spend $100 a month at an upscale restaurant or $3000 - $5000 a year on vacations. Money is supposed to be spent on stuff that'll make life more enjoyable (or to make life easier or less expensive in the future.) I suppose some people find it enjoyable to show off to others and I guess it's fine spending big bucks that way but I personally can't relate to it.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:13 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
well, i have a car that some might look at like it is expensive, but its big and so i need it to feel comfortable in. I live in a nice neighborhood in a nice apartment because when i lived cheaply, i also got to live with waterbugs invading my apartment every spring - fall,, and the pipes in the bathroom were so slow i had 2 inches of dirty shower water on my feet as i exited the shower, now i had to put that into my clean socks and shoes!! i had to put up with crazy neighbors that banged on my door in the middle of the night, and so i would never live in a lousy cheap aparmtment EVER. so i pay more for things, but they are necessary for me to have an enjoyable life. I guess compared to some people who have a lot of money, my life is modest, however, to me, they are wonderful necessities. But compared to others, yes, I am very rich. i say that with humble gratitude and i thank God for blessing me. Yes, i will thank God for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology