Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:44 AM

9 posts, read 16,773 times

Advertisements

What's all this resentment toward people who have money - and spend it! I worked hard all my life; in school and on the job. I am very comfortable with myself. I didn't grow up needing anything, so I'm not overcompensating now for that. I choose to drive a nice car (a BMW is comfortable). A nice home in a nice neighborhood, surrounded by like-minded people is, for me, more comfortable. I contribute lots of money to many different charities. No, I don't play tennis, polo, or golf. I donate time to causes I feel strongly about. I am a very liberal democrat. So, why do some people look down on me, and others like me, for having things that are considered "luxury" that make one comfortable - I worked for those things and I enjoy those things and I share those things. Yes, I could live with less, but why should I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 10:49 AM

790 posts, read 1,267,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkers View Post
I am a very liberal democrat.
Why did you plug your poitical views into this? What does this have to do with anything?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:12 AM

9 posts, read 16,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Why did you plug your poitical views into this? What does this have to do with anything?
Nothing! Happy Now? What have you done lately to help others?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:17 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,252,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
democrat (small 'd') is not political. Democrat (capital D) is political. Not meaning to be preachy. Just saying. I don't know how the poster meant it but facts are facts. I suspect most of us are democrats (small d)

Now we are off topic. Should I be defending the poster?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:37 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,716,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkers View Post
What's all this resentment toward people who have money - and spend it! I worked hard all my life; in school and on the job. I am very comfortable with myself. I didn't grow up needing anything, so I'm not overcompensating now for that. I choose to drive a nice car (a BMW is comfortable). A nice home in a nice neighborhood, surrounded by like-minded people is, for me, more comfortable. I contribute lots of money to many different charities. No, I don't play tennis, polo, or golf. I donate time to causes I feel strongly about. I am a very liberal democrat. So, why do some people look down on me, and others like me, for having things that are considered "luxury" that make one comfortable - I worked for those things and I enjoy those things and I share those things. Yes, I could live with less, but why should I?
Jinkers I don't get all the resentment toward people who have money. I also worked hard for it all my life and although I do help others I do NOT appreciate some yahoo idiot liberal demanding I pay higher taxes and scream class warfare. One thing I found, the more they scream class warfare the less I want to help.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:05 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,279,455 times
Ya'll are not being hateful just because he has a BMW now are you?

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself...)

Old 04-09-2014, 01:25 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,066,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The jealous person is the biggest snob of all.
Isn't this the truth. We got a taste of this last year when a neighbors borderline homeless son moved back home. He'd get all irritated and scream about how we (the next door neighbors) were a bunch of uppity snobs who "have it easy". He go into a rage when a pizza delivery guy showed up at our house. We'd hear him ranting to his dad about how he's "starving" and we just had a pizza delivered and its not fair how we get to eat pizza and he can't. A friggin pizza set him off into a jealous rage! (Yes, he was on drugs)

Now, the irony here is we bought one of the least expensive houses in the neighborhood. There are plenty of people with much more money just up the block, but he'd fixate on whatever we had because it was what he saw. People who get jealous over this stuff are missing the big picture. Whatever anyone else has, someone else has something much nicer. Leave that kind of concern for the super rich who can legitimately compete on having the most expensive yacht or extensive car collection in the world.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:26 PM

52 posts, read 77,385 times
I think people want them for different reasons. I do it because of the quality and/or the experience. For years, I drove small fun practical cars, like a Acura's and then a Miata. I really liked the way my Miata drove, but I have to admit it drove a bit like a go-cart. My dad always told me to get reliable moderately priced Japanese cars and not German cars because they were expensive to take care of. One day my then boyfriend and now husband talked me into considering some German cars. I test drove a Z-4 BMW. That was all that was needed to turn me into a convert. I loved the way it drove and the quality of the materials in the interior. Since then I've only had luxury German cars.

The quality of service at the dealerships seems to be better as well when you get a luxury car, like washing your car and giving you a loner if you have to take it in for servicing or whatever. I've heard of some places that fill your tank as well.

Sure, I could drive a little Fiat 500 or a Jeep Wrangler and it would get me from point A to point B, but if you like something and can afford it, why not. For me it's not about impressing others, it's about what makes me happy.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:36 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,252,671 times
The rich have to pay for those things and then pay to take care of them plus pay for insurance against theft of them. I get to just look and enjoy the beauty of them and it doesn't cost me a thing. I even got the first ride in my neighbor's new car and it was grand!

Old 04-09-2014, 02:02 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,994,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
democrat (small 'd') is not political. Democrat (capital D) is political. Not meaning to be preachy. Just saying. I don't know how the poster meant it but facts are facts. I suspect most of us are democrats (small d)

Now we are off topic. Should I be defending the poster?
I see where you are going with this, but I am not democrat, small d. I'm republican, small r! our country is not a democracy, it is a republic. As for big D and R, I don't have much use for either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology