Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:10 PM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times

Advertisements

This fad of drinking only bottled water in the USA is relatively new. When I was a child everyone drank tap water in the USA. The only time I remember drinking bottled water was when my family traveled overseas and my parents were suspicious that the tap water wasn't suitable for drinking. I do remember visiting my grandparents in NYC and my grandmother would boil the tap water and then put the boiled water in a glass bottle in the fridge (but it was still tap water just boiled!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 01:10 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Of course. Most bottled water is tap water anyway.
Much of it comes from wells in Michigan.

http://wearemichigan.com/WorldWaterW...igan/index.htm

Old 04-18-2014, 01:19 PM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
I hold the "Fluoride in our water is poison" nuts in the same disdain as I do the 'Vaccines are poison" nuts.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:23 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I hold the "Fluoride in our water is poison" nuts in the same disdain as I do the 'Vaccines are poison" nuts.
Fluoride is in some well water....naturally.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:28 PM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Fluoride is in some well water....naturally.

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I know)

Along with arsenic, selenium, magnesium, zinc, and iron plus a bunch of other minerals/elements.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:06 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I've never heard of tap water being formally intended for drinking. I think it would be impossible to guarantee from the city's position that what comes out of your tap should be drunk. Is the reason people drink from the tap simply because other people do it and no more thought is left to it? That seems like a rediculous approach to dealing with a fundamental regarding our health
You better drink the tap water. Water fluoridation is the single most important discovery in the history of dental care. Attributed to decreasing decay by 60%. The late Boomer generation is the first one facing their senior years with all their own teeth.

All this is well documented.

And all your assumptions are incorrect. The documentation about tap water are available on the internet in about 3 seconds.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:07 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I've never heard of tap water being formally intended for drinking. I think it would be impossible to guarantee from the city's position that what comes out of your tap should be drunk. Is the reason people drink from the tap simply because other people do it and no more thought is left to it? That seems like a rediculous approach to dealing with a fundamental regarding our health
Because it is there? Seriously, though, it is intended for drinking. As someone else said, it is well monitored and, in case something goes wrong, boiling is ordered. We'll survive.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:24 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
As far as I know, the only bottled water that is -not- from the tap, is Spring Water. And even some of those brands don't actually come from a spring. Distilled water, drinking water, unspecified bottled water - is all tap water.

I drink spring water, because I don't like the taste of our local tap water. When I lived in the next town over, I drank from the tap because it didn't have a funky taste. I've tried distilled water - which tastes as flat as it sounds. I've tried "drinking" water - which was okay - but not all that great. When I lived in Florida, there were significant problems with the tap water and residents were instructed to NOT drink from the tap, and instead to either buy a water filter, or buy filtered water from machines that were set up all over the place. Florida's water is lousy - from the Keys to Ft. Lauderdale to Ocala. Haven't been to the west coast yet but if it's anything like the rest - it's lousy.

If I lived in NYC I'd drink tap water. Theirs is crisp and clean-tasting.

Edited to add: We do fill our coffeepot from the tap. Heating the water burns off the chlorine aftertaste.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:26 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
I started having hairloss when I moved to the US in 2006. Was always tired. I wondered why.

I thougth I did it all right with the water.

Using Brita Filter. Pure Filter. Well Water. Bottled water.

Well, they don't filter out Fluoride. I got thyroid issues. Now I got a reverse osmosis tank installed at my house ($18/month) and my hair stopped falling out. My diagnosed sleep disease is gone. I to to the gym after work instaed of taking a nap.

People, please do NOT drink tap water!! Google tap water, Brita filter, Fluoride, and health issues!!!

Old 04-18-2014, 03:30 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You better drink the tap water. Water fluoridation is the single most important discovery in the history of dental care. Attributed to decreasing decay by 60%. The late Boomer generation is the first one facing their senior years with all their own teeth.

All this is well documented.

And all your assumptions are incorrect. The documentation about tap water are available on the internet in about 3 seconds.
Well, the whole fluoride and better teeth is BS.

I read on the news that even israel now stopped adding fluoride to water because the study showed that people with flouride in water actually get brittal teeth and bones. Besides the thyroid issues and decreased IQ and other health problems.

Fluoride: Killing Us Softly | Global Research
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology