Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 12:54 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,756 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this is in the right part of the forum, but this seems like a good place to get a wide variety of responses.

I've noticed that a lot of people (on this forum or elsewhere) seem to define success/their personal value in terms of things-- a nice house, a family, a good job, money, travel, etc... this is how consumer society works, and how you measure your status in the capitalist hierarchy.

Some people even seem to feel entitled to everything that life has to offer just because they have a good job/money, or are surprised by their unhappiness when they do get all of these things but it still isn't enough. And if they don't have these things, they complain about how that has sentenced them to a life of despair and misery.

But don't you think a successful life really has more to do with basic human qualities that tend to get thrown by the wayside in favor of a more 'realistic' lifestyle-- things like perspective, creativity, love, conscience, virtue etc.? I mean, the great intangible qualities that the consumer lifestyle promises you through products, but which are actually free if you just let yourself feel that way?

I'm interested in hearing what others think about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 02:53 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
Until a person can be sure that the basic neccessities of life are taken care of -- decent shelter, enough food, access to medical care, regular employment, physical safety where they live, a bit of cash for fun and enjoyment ( bread, but roses too), and a loving relationship -- I don't think they can devote too much time to "perspective, creativity, love, conscience, and virtue."

In most of the world, those things, sadly, are a luxury too often reserved for the rich. The problem is that in the U.S., where most of us have most of the necessitites, we do forget about "higher" things in life, either because we never cared in the first place -- or we're just too damn tired from working at the end of the day!

Old 05-01-2014, 02:56 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times
A successful life, in my opinion is being happy and at peace with oneself.

At least that is what I am striving for in life. I grew up in a stable house old. Financially well off, with loving parents, and just an all around good life. I still live with my mother now, and I am not quite happy. I am in school and seeking part time employment but I am not necessarily getting a sense of joy from that either. I only want those two main things in life, because I really think those are the crucial things one person needs to be happy.

Of course in the US it doesn't hurt to have a nice career, financially well off, and be able to take care of yourself, but it doesn't necessarily make a person happy, it can provide security.

I know a guy who has it all, the only thing he doesn't have is girlfriend. He is so miserable because he feels he will not find anyone to share all those things with. I don't think happiness is in companionship, not completely, it's just icing on the cake. To be truly happy you must be at peace and happy with yourself first. I am striving for that now as we speak. I hope I find the answers that I am looking for soon, and keep learning new things in the process.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:29 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,692,360 times
Spiritual enlightenment. Everything else is just a pee in the wind.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:57 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,513,685 times
Here's the (most-beautiful) thing: Each of us gets to define our own 'victory-conditions'.

Back in the day, in the American Deep South, I beat the h*ll out of a group of smug, "nobody's-better-than-us" folks. How? By defining and applying my own rules I won a national competition that was important to them. I did it, not BECAUSE of them, but IN SPITE OF them. On the day I was announced as the national winner, you should have seen the looks on their faces. They actually had to suck it up, and acknowledge/PRAISE me - a no-good-nik outsider - because I brought the National title home to them.

I really loved the part where they had to tacitly acknowledge one simple fact -- though they would NEVER have allowed me to win any of their stupid local competitions, I still won the NATIONALS!

(Yes, I'm still thumbing my nose at them. Yes, from here forward, I promise never to bring it up again!)

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 05-01-2014 at 07:06 PM..

Old 05-01-2014, 08:30 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,675,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
I'm not sure if this is in the right part of the forum, but this seems like a good place to get a wide variety of responses.

I've noticed that a lot of people (on this forum or elsewhere) seem to define success/their personal value in terms of things-- a nice house, a family, a good job, money, travel, etc... this is how consumer society works, and how you measure your status in the capitalist hierarchy.

Some people even seem to feel entitled to everything that life has to offer just because they have a good job/money, or are surprised by their unhappiness when they do get all of these things but it still isn't enough. And if they don't have these things, they complain about how that has sentenced them to a life of despair and misery.

But don't you think a successful life really has more to do with basic human qualities that tend to get thrown by the wayside in favor of a more 'realistic' lifestyle-- things like perspective, creativity, love, conscience, virtue etc.? I mean, the great intangible qualities that the consumer lifestyle promises you through products, but which are actually free if you just let yourself feel that way?

I'm interested in hearing what others think about this.
In my opinion life success would mean feeling that one is content with what they have and feels they have a purpose in life they are pursuing.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:17 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,293,496 times
I would say it is when you are on an airplane, which is about to crash, and you think to yourself...

"Ok for my life to end now, I have done just about everything I ever wanted to do!"

(Rather than I wish I did this and wish I did that...)

Old 05-02-2014, 07:54 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,972,344 times
Success is being happy! Period. If you're happy, it means every other area of your life has fallen into place.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Success is being able to do what you want, when you want to do it and with the people you want to do it with.

Happiness is being around people that you care for and care for you.

The rest is just staying alive while you are forced to work for the man because you were not born into a stable, sober, sane and wealthy family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology